1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone else think the instant MPG gauge is useless?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by phoenixgreg, Apr 12, 2010.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tom, thanks for the insight and the link to the Optima battery. My Prius is new so 12v battery concerns are not immediate. But in this climate, 12v batteries are short-lived as they fry in the desert heat after a couple of years.
    I did see in the link there is a way to check on the health of the 12v battery, but it seems limited to those Prius's that have NAV screens. Mine doesn't but I haven't given up that there could be a way to view the voltage via diagnostics mode. No one here seems to know how to enter that mode for a model II. I may have to ask a technical service advisor on my next visit to the dealership on how to do that.
    Again, I still think a 12v battery health gauge would be very helpful.

2. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use the MPG gauge all the time, in concert with the CHG/ECO/PWR graphic. If my MPG is maxed, I know the ICE isn't running.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Hey apart from us. MPG's rock. :rockon:

4. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The MPG gauge is really really usefull and I miss not having one in the Yaris when I drive that.

I also find litres per 100km totally useless :D
    MPG is OK but I would really like MPL.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Check out some of the links on the ScanGaugeII which is available throught the Priuschat Shop. It will monitor 12V battery Voltage, RPM, ICE coolant temp, ignition timing, and a bunch of other stuff right out of the box. By using the Xgauge feature and codes provided in this thread http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...discussion/64406-scangaugeii-work-2010-a.html you can monitor a bunch of other paremeters exclusive the to Gen3 Prius. In additon you can use it to turn off the extra seat belt beeps and set the back up beeper to 1 beep vice continuous.

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I used it as a gauge to control accelerating from a stop. I keep it at about 10mpg until up to the speed limit.
    I found this is the best rate not to irritate the driver behind me and get the best overall mpg.

7. tgoodman

tgoodman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could you please tell me what the discrepancy is between the computer and your actuals. Thanks.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are several threads on that subject. I think most of us see about 5% higher mileage with the Cons reading than we do when we check it the old fashion way. This was apparently a "marketing decision" by Toyota to make us think the car gets better mileage than it actually does.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...vs-computer-mpg-please-post-your-results.html

9. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Pick up the Scan Guage II. It will show you batt. voltage, water temp, RPM, and Instant Gas Mileage all at the same time. Ypurs for $159

10. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I disagree with you, the MPG gauge is one of the most useful gauges. I use it all the time and try to keep it above the 50 mpg mark.

11. pri-mordial

pri-mordial Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Most useful guage in the car!
    In ECO mode, which is less sensitive to throttle, I basically drive the car to maximise this guage to the road conditions up ahead.

You should see me cresting a hill like puffing Billy!
    Then picking up speed on the down-hill.
    I'm hoping to get 60 (UK) mpg out of my current tank.

Just got my latest Credit Card statement. It's half what it used to be. Even the wife notices...........