1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Anyone Here Actually Use Fee-Based Charging Stations?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rorystewart, Jan 2, 2014.

1. rorystewart

rorystewart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now that I actually own an electric car I finally started paying attention to charging stations at malls and such. So for the first time last week I actually sought out the EV stations at my local mall and pulled up. Much to my surprise, however, it cost money to charge there. It was $1/hour for blink members and $2/hour for guests, which seems entirely pointless for PiP owners, doesn't it? I mean the car can only even hold 50 cents worth of electricity. So why would I ever pay even a $1 to charge for an hour?

Wishing all charging stations were free or charged based off electricity drawn rather than a flat fee for time.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I wish all gasoline was free or I was charged for my gallons per mile. Has not happened yet. Not likely to happen soon.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Um, maybe because your electric car would otherwise be stranded if that EVSE wasn't there? Or are you talking about the 2014 PiP mentioned in your avatar, in which case yes ... you can simply drive on by. But ... maybe you'd pay a dollar for electricity so the EVSE owner can eventually pay of the cost of purchasing/installing a system that likely was several thousand dollars? Or maybe because it'll help pay his liability cost for owning it any you're grateful he installed it in the first place? No? Maybe to help the vandalism insurance policy? No? Or maybe you thought the EVSE fairy planted it there? In that case yes ... it's just about the cost of electricity. Otherwise ... the 50 cents of electricity doesn't help recover even a part of the other costs. In addition, if you presume the car holds 50 cents of electricity ... you obviously pay the land lords' electric bill? Since your avatar doesn't show where you are, I can't comment on you local/state/county electricity costs for juice. Point being ... there are lots of points one may want to consider.
    ;)

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You are essentially charged for your miles per gallon.

giora likes this.
  5. rorystewart

rorystewart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lol you wish you were charged for gas based off your gallons per mile huh?

My point was questioning whether fee-based charging is relevant to PiP owners. That is all. I don't think it is. So I was asking whether anyone else here thinks it is. Obviously I understand the economics of charging fees for charging. But until those charging stations charge based off electricity drawn rather than time charged using such stations is economically unfeasible for PiP owners.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Free electricity for your car...good. Free gas for my car...well that's different. :ROFLMAO:

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use way fewer gallons per mile than a hummer does. Why shouldn't I benefit from that?

It make better sense than 'free' charging stations. Or the insane idea that just because you charge your PIP full, you should not be penalized for not moving it, so someone else can charge..

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrids like the PiP or Volt certainly have the added flexibility of not needing public chargers.
    Likewise, EV drivers that never drive beyond the range of their EVs also don't need public chargers.
    That said, some PiP or Volt drivers have different priorities than cost of fuel and will use chargers even if it costs the same or more.

Also keep in mind different locations have different costs. Some are free, some are a flat fee, some hourly, and yes, some charge by the kWh.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Granted different use, applications and rates, but are owners required to move their vehicles when charging is complete? and if not, shouldn't they then be ticketed just like a normally aspired vehicle using the same "charging spot"? Serious question.

10. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see no point in charging a PIP at a fee station. I believe there are plenty of free ones in the PDX area, but I'm not certain. The math doesn't work out though for plugging in at a fee station because $1 in gas could get you 15 miles, which is further than 1hr of charging at a station could get you.

It seems many areas of CA and other states with high electric rates don't even benefit from charging at home. In Oregon, EV miles are about 1/3 the price of gasoline miles, though.

11. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A lot depends on the fee. I came across an Eaton charger that was 50 cents per hour. Thats cheaper than gas so why no?

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    49 cents per kWh at the mall, for a primo parking space and plug is nice deal. The other day, using that cost me $1.35

Think about people paying for the privilege every workday to use the special lane on the highway to shorten their commute time. How much is that worth?

bfd likes this.
  13. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Ditto here. There are always open spots, close to the exit, at the parking structures on campus. During the day, it's great. During basketball season with a sold-out arena … it's priceless.

Of course, since my PiP is currently DOA - Day 7 - at the dealer awaiting a new inverter ("Backorder" LOL), parking is the least of my concerns.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    points taken. For grins though, consider the good rationale for a flat $2 hour fee. Due to its smaller traction pack, the PiP doesn't benefit much from a public evse, compared to a few other plugins. For one thing, the Prius traction pack will only receive about 3kWh's at the charge rate that the PiP's EVSE can deliver in one hour. But plug in one of the larger plugin's traction packs? Some large pack plugins have the capability to charge at 3 or 4 times the speed of the PiP's charge rate. So for their public EVSE usage, the $2 rate is still okay. Also, might not the shop keeper rationalize that driving off the pip owner is to his advantage? If a Rav4ev needs to charge for 4 hours just to get home - the shopkeeper gets paid for 4 hours EVSE use. If the pip charges to full (example) in 50 minutes (because he still had a little juice left) but leaves their PIP parked in the charge stall for 90 minutes - not only does the shop keeper lose out on the rav4ev's more lucrative transaction, the rav4ev driver can't even get home because they don't have the PiP's alternate gasoline propulsion. In that scenario whose business would shopkeeper regularly want to accommodate.

I tend to agree with your view that moderately priced public 240v charging isn't too relevant for the Prius. The L2 EVSE owner might agree too. That leaves just the freebie chargers ... I call them freeloader chargers because way too often in our area - the users primary objective is to mooch a few cents of juice that they really don't need. But that's a topic well covered already in other threads.

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So two people are walking down the street and both see a $10 bill on the side walk.. Both make a comfortable living but one is wearing blue jeans and the other in business attire. Does it matter who picks it up first? Also...would anyone care to respond to this question?

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  16. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since the Prius charges at the slowest rate and the charging stations often have a fee of $1 or more per hour, I don't think it makes much sense for the PiP to use them. The spot is better utilized by a faster charging vehicle with more EV range.

The PiP should have come with a 20mi range and a 220v L2 charger.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not sure where that assumption originated, but it is incorrect. Prius PHV takes advantage of L2 just like the other plug-in vehicles.

giora likes this.
  18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This depends upon the local laws. I have heard some places in California will ticket cars in EV spots that are not plugged in. Not sure about actively charging though.

As for should or shouldn't they, again, I think it depends upon the situation.
    If charging sports are free, I would say yes after a 20 minute or so grace period, as long as only the owner can unplug their own car.
    I would also argue that once charging is complete, again with an appropriate grace period, the parking time is charged, possibly ramping up every 30 minutes or so.
    For example, plugin car driver parks and plugs in at a free charger at a mall. Their car charges for 45 minutes at no cost. Driver decides to not move their car and so, from 60-90 minutes they are charged 1$. From 90-120 minutes, 2$, etc.

Again though, it is highly situational. If there is no shortage of plugin spots, I don't see the need to ticket or charge people.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I believe he is correct.
    Just because you can hook up a hose to a spigot doesn't mean you get the same amount of water out if you don't turn the spigot on full.

The rate the PiP can charge is 3.3kWh which is tied for the slowest rate.
    However, in most cases it is inconsequential as the battery is very small.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The post was vague, giving the impression of L1 rate... which clearly is not the case.

It is perfectly sized for recharging while at the mall, a restaurant, or a movie. 1.5 hours on L2 will completely replenish the pack.