1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone here have Package #1???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten a package 3, sicne I wanted airbags, but didn't think I needed SKS.

Boy was I wrong! I am seriously considering adding it as an option, sans door handles.

2. QED

QED New Member

Let me clarify. I didn't get the #2 because it did not have the side impact airbags. I just personally think they should be standard in all cars. And I am guessing they will be someday, just like the regular airbags.

I would have been happy with #1, except the SKS is just so damn cool I couldn't help myself. B)

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

But how do you know what your missing if you never had an SKS before?

You can add it on after the fact?

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I think I better go to Toyota and check out this sks thing you guys are all saying is SO cool. I don't want to be kicking myself for not getting it. I just can't comprehend it until I SEE IT!

5. QED

QED New Member

Basically SKS lets you unlock and start the car without taking the fob out of your pocket.
    I haven't even got the car yet, but I know I will like it. My wife, however, is kinda....yea, nice, so what? :p

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah wait until she checks it out. She will probably want to steal it from you! I guess it's good to have a site like this so we can brag about our Priuses or Coming soon Priues LOL

I think I will at least go to a Package #2 since there's only a $175 different from Package #1.

I think I'm going to get jealous though later on about everyone who have the Navigation system in their Prius. :(

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no key. With the smart key you have the fob in your purse, pocket or whatever and the car knows it's there and starts. Otherwise you have to physically put the fob in the slot for the car to work. Locking and unlocking I use the buttons on the fob. With smart key it will unlock when you're within a certain distance, but I believe you have to physically lock it when you leave.

I've had several hatchbacks. The most recent one was a 1984 Nissan 200SX. The back of the car (where the headlights were attached etc. was high, I.E. it stuck up from the bumper. Whenever I opened the hatch I had to lift things way over the back to get them in and out. Very stupid. Also if anything was too long and stuck out the back it was angled up into the air and the hatch (which of course wouldn't close) was way up in the air.

With the Prius the back is down to the bumper, level with the inside. Lifting things in and out is a breeze. And if I ever put anything in the car that sticks out the hatch will close down enough so it's not sticking up in the air. Much smarter design. It's like the bed of a truck only without the tailgate hanging off the end.

And if no one's told you, you can put the rear seats down one at a time or both. Plus if you take the front passenger headrest off and then recline that seat all the way back you can put stuff in the car all the way up to under the glovebox. I put in 8 ft boards from Home Depot and still closed the hatch.

I just love it.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

No, you can't add it after the fact, or if you did it would be really expensive. For one a Prius with SKS has different door handles.

You really need to choose the package you want up front. A lot of things can't be added later for a reasonable amount of money. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part what you buy is what you get.

BTW my #1 does have side curtain airbags. And I have all of the mats and the cargo cover. I've added other things on my own like mudguards, cargo net, decals, etc.

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Wow! Thanks for all the great info! I think I'm going to go into Toyota to check out some of the options of the car. That's great that there's alot of room in the backend of the car. I didn't realize you could even take out the headrest of a seat. In the past I did drive a Toyota truck and was thinking about going back to a truck but there's just not enough room in the truck cab for me unless I want to pay out to get an exteneded cab. Those trucks are to much for me.

Thanks for your info! Tracy

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Update: Well it looks like I might have to stay with Package #1 since it's the only package available unless I go with #5.

I just talked to my salesguy and he said he can only get a Package #1 or then it goes to #5. So now what?? I would have to pay out $2,569 more to get a Package #5 just so I get the SKS I wanted. I'm not happy :angry:

Edited to add: He says he has hte demo 2005 black wtih a Package #4 that has about 3,000 miles on it. He wants 23,000 for it though. And then no tax credit.

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thats the whole problem...ignorance is bliss!.... but if you think you may not keep the car that long... so be it, but if so, going for the extras will ensure years of use!
    I have never regretted splurging untill it hurts to get the extras in anything.. but I have regretted not doing so!

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah and this is my last big purchase I want. Not sure. Going to go put down a $100 refundable deposit and check out the car in the showroom.

13. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The SKS is cool and sexy... but it doesn't really make the car any better, safer, easier, or more comfortable to drive.

Package #1 gets you a significant safety advantage. There is no way that I would consider a car without the side curtain airbags. Package #4 gets you VSC... which also is a huge safety advantage. For these reasons... $4 is the lowest package that I would buy for anyone in my family.

I would not recommend getting any package because of SKS... but if you go for the safety features... you will get it by default.

/Jim

14. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

To get get your remote replaced on any car will be over 100.00... the sks gives you the ability to not even put wear and tear on your regular keys.
    If the difference between Package #1 and Package #2 is only 175.00 I personally see that as cost effective.

Its only money..... you can make more right? :lol:

15. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Windstrings,

My comment was in regard to TracyBeans lamenting about having to spend thousands extra for the SKS. If that is the only reason to move up... then I would have a hard time recommending it.

On the other hand... moving up does give you safety features that I consider essential. I personally will also pay extra for luxury features such as leather and navigation (I bought a pkg #8 and have a 2nd one on order). I would recommend that everyone get the safety features. I would not necessarily recommend the luxury features for everyone.

/Jim

16. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Guess what. Now I want a package #8 after going to Toyota tonight. I can't JUST worry about money right? As windstrings says I can just make some more!

Darn I should have stayed away from Toyota tonight!

So I guess my bill goes up $7,000 now huh? I have NO toys. This would be my ONE and ONLY toy.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

oh oh!! shouldna gone down there just after Xmas...toy fever has not worn off yet!!

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

But I'm thinking I should just go all the way now. I'm going to drive this car now for 20 years. So can that justify it??

The so crazy part is that I found a car I like tonight while out car shopping that I could have drove off with at 16,000 OTD. (loaded + moon roof and seat warmer)
    BUT I don't do the deal. WHY do I love a Prius SO much that I will pay double for it???????

Now I gotta figure out a way to justify paying $27,000 for a car after tax credit. Me has to think on this for awhile. :blink:

19. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Well a vote for GY. Yes - NAV would be great, but you can't miss what you don't have. That's also why I avoid going to the malls or reading the advertisements in the paper.

20. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

What's GY?? :huh: