1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone know how to program new smart key by myself???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by us_matrix, Jan 21, 2012.

1. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I lost one of my 2010 Prius smart key. Still have one left. Dealer quoted me $250 for transmitter and $50 for laser key plus $180 for labor. That seems very expensive for a Toyota. Does anyone know if I can program the new transmitter by myself if I just buy the transmitter and laster key from dealer or from ebay for lower price?

Thanks.

2. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't believe you are able to program the SKS of a 2010+ yourself. This sounds strange but I just bought a new Prius, they told me that the car is programmed to the key instead of the other way around.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check around with some locksmitty's.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is correct. The car is programmed to pair with the key. A new fob and programming is not cheap, no matter where you get it done, but some places charge less than others. Check around.

Tom

5. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you can.

Techstream & a DrewTech Mongoose MFC cable.

Spend many days sifting the internet for information, learn how much misinformation is out there, learn to decipher what is true. Decide on the various expense paths, and determine if that is the route you want to go.

In short, it is probably most expensive to do it yourself, but you maintain the capability to do more on your car for as long as you own it, thereby saving money in the long run. Second, if your sole interest is the fob, find a legit locksmith who can do it, and likely last, use the dealer option.

There are many posts on this topic, and a lot of bad information.

6. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To do it yourself, you'll have to spend $495 for the Mongoose cable and acquire the Techstream software and use a laptop. It sounds expensive, but you then have this tool to set TPMS, clear codes, customize your beeps....etc.

Your best bet would be to search this forum for someone near you who has the Techstream tool and maybe do the programming for a beer or two. :D

Here is a link: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...fications/65998-programming-ourselves-10.html LOOK AT POST # 97, this person is in Socal.

03-14-2011, 07:38 PM #97 10Prius

[​IMG] Re: Programming Ourselves?

I received the cable today and did minor tweaking and added another SKS to my 2010 Prius all within 15 minutes. So anyone in the Socal area that want to customized, add SKS fob, or add/remove TPMS sensor. Hit me up PM, I'll do the service free of charge. My contribution back to the Prius community.

7. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Having unsuccessfully used the search on this forum to find that information, can anyone give me a suggestion on how best to find that information? Is there a thread with a list of people who have the tools?

8. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I've updated my post, but maybe a list in a "sticky" probably would be a great idea if it hasn't been done yet. :D

9. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I looked for a sticky list but alas it does not exist.

Sure would be nice to know if there was someone in my area with this gear.

I'm a homebrewer who could be convinced to barter for services....

10. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe you should start a Thread and members would reply with location and charge (if any) for their service. If it gets popular, moderators would make it a "sticky" :)

11. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would assist, but Florida is a long way from you ;-)

The idea about a PriusChat Techstream Assistance Program sticky is a good one. I would be willing to help out

1 person likes this.
  12. APEES

APEES Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    can I know how to program 2005 smart key entry? I programmed a used key bought from e-bay and I can start the car but the buttons in the FOB does not work not the smart entry. Please help.

13. NYCer

NYCer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are they any members in the NY area with a tt and mongoose cable and a place to cut a blank. I bought my 2010 with only one set. Thanks