1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone know what the future of the plug in Prius is?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by chuckiechan, May 18, 2013.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Understood :)

mmmodem likes this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota already does. That's what we get with the plug-in Prius.

3. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, as far as I know none of the manufactures give a plug-type repair kit, they all give "goo" system which are easier to use but limit driving speed can mess with TMS systems and are far more expensive. My plug type repair kit was $6 on ebay, they goo is almost an order of magnitude more. I like having both, goo if I'm in a hury, plug if I'm going far and have the 10-15min to do it (and can find/reach the puncture).

Here is a video of a PIP tire repair

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Fortunately, I have not had to use the the PIP goo system. Question - it looks like the goo canister has to be loaded into the electric pump. Do you know if the pump will run without the goo canister loaded? I am considering getting a mushroom plug repair system and if I did not have to get another pump, that would be a plus.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to make an adapter to get around the bottle. There's photos on another thread.

drinnovation likes this.
  6. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've had my tires patched at a tire shop more than I can count over the last couple of decades and they've *never* removed the tire from the rim to patch the tire. My month-old patch hasn't even lost 1 psi yet.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Found it. The photos are about halfway down the page.
    Prius Plugin's lack of spare tire. | Page 5 | PriusChat

They probably plugged the hole with either a ribbon or a mushroom plug. A patch has to applied with the tire off the rim. I've had plugs last the lifetime of the tire.

#67 El Dobro, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    ryogajyc likes this.
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't like plugs myself, but this is usually because they auger out the hole, and THEN they put the plug in.
    Plugs have a bad rep because people (incorrectly) think that if the plug fails, then the tire will explode and they will die in a horrible fiery crash.
    Usually when plugs fail....and they do fail from time to time, then the air whooshes out the hole and you wind up with what you started with.
    A flat tire.
    Pips are usually used by suburbanites, many of whom can get by with a just a"repair" kit.
    Me? I ride motorcycles a lot, and so I'm used to lugging a bottle of green goo and a patch kit around. If my tire is shredded (and if I don't auger into the ditch) I call my CFO for a trailer mission, or get a hold of AAA.
    I'm not a suburbanite and thus if I ever find myself rolling a Pip, I'll get a Corolla tire and rim off of Fleabay and toss it in the back with the first aid kit.....;)

People don't plan to fail....but they often DO fail to plan. ;)

9. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, I have pluged many tires on maxi vans for 15 years never had a plug let go or leak, and may vans went 450,000 miles or more! We ran 80 PSI, 8 ply rating no problems with plugs. :)

drash likes this.
  10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd have to agree. I've never had an issue with the 5 plugs I've put in. Based on my experience I keep a kit in both my cars. Plus one in the garage.

retired4999 likes this.
  11. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Easily. Sure wish we could buy an extension battery to increase range.

12. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Like El Dobro said, a patch has to be applied from the inside. If your tire shop is not removing the tire, then they could not have patched the tire.

From the NHTSA:
    Also:
    http://ntb.com/tires/Tire-Plug-Repairs-Education.j
    Tire Repair | Flat Tire Puncture Patch & Repair | Pep Boys | Pep Boys

13. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No claims of any expert tire engineering/safety expertise here, but it is uncertain if the NHTSA information considers mushroom-type plugs. My understanding of most "repair" kits is that these use string-type plugs which do not sit against the inner wall as the mushroom-type plugs do. Still, one probably won't find a repair kit company, string-type or mushroom-type, that would claim their products are a permanent fix on highway worthy vehicles - for liability reasons. But it would be nice to see some data on this for tire failures after different modes of repair. All-in-all, for the purposes of safety, the NHTSA explanation still makes sense.

With the next generation Volt specs recently announced, any thoughts as to if Toyota can tweak the next generation PiP specs based on this?

For example, maybe Toyota wanted to see what EV range the competition would have before finalizing the EV capacity on the PiP. It seems doubtful any significant modifications to the ICE could be made at this stage.

#73 iplug, May 28, 2013
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota will not try to emulate gm.

15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sure, but had GM gone with 50 vs. 75 mile EV range on the Volt, do you think Toyota would consider a different EV capacity in the PiP? Maybe to compete at what they would feel would be the right price point and EV range? Or do you think Toyota mostly ignores the competition at GM?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think toyota is designing the gen IV plug in to appeal to the largest audience possible, profitably. but i can't tell you if that's 20 miles of ev, or 50. no one really knows what the sweet spot is. you can't make a prius compete directly with a volt, the prius is too big, and gets much better mpg's. they're just different animals.

john1701a and F8L like this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, the business purposes of Volt and Prius PHV are simply far too different. The consumer audiences are not the same either, which GM clearly just confirmed. Toyota's quest to keep it affordable (traditionally competitive without tax-credits) means expectations for the Gen-4 are no cross-shopping. There will be plug-ins offering speed, power, and distance, then there will be Prius offering a balance of traits with the intent to appeal to a wide array of potential buyers. Calling them "different animals" is an excellent way of stating it.

18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I disagree. I crosss shopped the two cars. They are close in price. I know they are different animals but they fill the same niche. Having said that, I think its well known that Toyota does not care about this segment. The PiP along with the Rav4 EV are/were compliance vehicles. Ditto for the Focus Energi, 500e, Soul EV and the list goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if the PiP soldiers on for 2 more years as a Gen 3 selling alongside the Gen 4 Prius.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm really curious to see what Toyota does in the next 2 years. They captured so much of the hybrid market that they defined the market itself. I find it difficult to believe that they would ignore the fact that so many prior Prius owners are moving away from Toyota to other electrified brands. They know that they will never sell enough hydrogen vehicles to overcome this loss via conquest sales and returning customers so what is their plan?

A regular Prius just isn't going to cut it anymore and they must know that too.

They have to have something tricksy up their sleeves.....

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The comment was about the future, after the tax-credit money expires. The price won't be close then.

How was that conclusion drawn?

We all know the traditional vehicle is extremely popular still. We all know there are countless people who don't have an outlet available. We all know that there is a strong unwillingness to pay any sort of purchase premium.

#80 john1701a, Jan 15, 2015