1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone know *why* Toyota says no to hitch mounted bikes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by LMA, Sep 17, 2006.

1. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Title pretty much says it -- does anyone know *why* Toyota specifically goes out of their way to tell you not to put a hitch on a Prius *even* to *just* carry bicycles? I know that people here have done it, and I assume since I haven't seen any threads about how it destroyed this or that thing on their car or ruined their warantee or whatever, that no problems have yet made themselves clear, but I'm *extremely* reluctant to "modify" my brand new car if the manufacturer has a real *reason* against doing something. When I bought the car, I kind of assumed I could just put a hitch back there and get a simple, lightweight Thule or Yakima hitch mount and was dismayed to find Toyota saying "no, don't do it!" in the manual.

Does anyone have any insights into this issue?

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The manual really says this? I guess I just ignore CYA type of instructions and pretend they don't exist. Why do they do it? Because it is easier and safer to say NO.

Does the manual also say somewhere not to exceed the posted speed limits? Most owners manuals I've seen say that somewhere. And yet I keep seeing all these people dangerously speeding! :eek:

3. cabillings

cabillings New Member

My guess is that it has something to do with the tongue weight. I think that the tongue weight on a Prius is rated at 100#. I have not idea what the average weight of a couple of bikes (or more), plus the carrier is, but it might be marginal and easier to say no rather than to have people pushing the limit. Just a guess.

4. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Can you please provide a document and page number for this quote? I thought I read my manual pretty well and I didn't see this admonition. I'd like to look at it and read what Toyota says about hitch-mounted bike carriers in context.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Huh?

There was no such "rule" when I had my hitch built. Of course, I was the very first owner in the United States to have that done for a Prius. But I don't recall anyone ever mentioning "not to" advice from Toyota following that.

I think you are confusing bike carrying with trailer towing, since both utilize a hitch. The first is acceptable, the latter is not.

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Page 353 of my 2006 owners manual says:

Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your Toyota. Toyota also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc.

And page 351 says
    Do not drive in excess of the speed limit.

8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 17 2006, 05:17 AM) [snapback]320775[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see any where that said warranty will be void if done. If that is the case, every Prius built by Toyota is voided for speeding too.... :lol:

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 17 2006, 07:17 AM) [snapback]320775[/snapback]</div>
    That explains a lot. They also do not RECOMMEND the use of non-genuine Toyota part. In other words, it is just a suggestion.

Look through the manual some more. You'll find references saying DO NOT all over the place. They actually indicate that bad things will happen if you fail to comply.

Nothing bad will directly result from carrying a bike using a hitch, no worse than a strap-on type anyway. People have been doing that with Prius for years now. After all, what could happen? That's a whole lot safer than when I carry my 12' and 14' kayaks on the roof.

10. techguru

techguru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, just to confirm then, no one posting here has had any problems from their dealer service or warranty issues with having a receiver hitch mounted? We (I am LMA's other half) just want to make sure that this won't effect our warranty or hurt her new car in any way. I think you all have answered the "won't hurt the car" question, just want to confirm the warranty half of the equation.

Thanks,

Alan

11. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 17 2006, 08:17 AM) [snapback]320775[/snapback]</div>
    OTOH, they don't say "Do not put a roof rack on your Prius" so I don't think it's just a recommendation against non-Toyota products. Maybe I'm just a big worry-wort, but this is the second biggest investment I've ever made in my life (after buying a house) and I'm afraid of compromising the car or warantee.

On a related note, why go with the hand-made Coastal tech hitch everyone here is talking about versus a standard U-Haul or other name brand hitch?

12. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This may or may not have anything to do with the Toyota warning but I do remember a thread on PC here about a 3rd party hitch made for Prius being put on the car and the result was that hot exhust gases from the stock exhust system were heating up the the metal hitch over time to the point where it was causing melting/warping of the plastic body panel in the rear of the car! :eek: Perhaps those who are better than I at searching PC for this thread could shed more info here. It could be that a hitch unit might interupt the normal flow of exhust out the tailpipe and heat parts that should not be heated. Best wishes.

Tom KN6VV

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Sep 17 2006, 05:17 AM) [snapback]320775[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent! Thanks for finding it and posting it. So... who here has voided their Prius speed warranty? :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(techguru @ Sep 17 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]320808[/snapback]</div>
    It can't void the warranty if it doesn't harm anything that you want fixed under warranty. There is no such thing that you can do to your car that "voids the warranty). Been covered 2,546,781 times on this forum now. There is no rocket science going on here. Bolting something to chassis and hanging a bike off it isn't going to hurt anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LMA @ Sep 17 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]320818[/snapback]</div>
    I think they would have said it if they'd thought of it. But there's only so much you can put in a manual. For example they also don't say to avoid having an elephant sit on your car. They don't say not to pack it full of plutonium. Many things that you shouldn't do that aren't mentioned in the manual.

If Toyota thought that I was going to do this: http://evnut.com/prius_rack_pads.htm they likely would have included a caution against it in the manual.... again - because it is easier to say know than to deal with something unknown.

I can see an image like this with a big red line through it in our future:
    [​IMG]
    And honestly, not everybody should be doing this. Do it right, and you can do it safely. Doesn't hurt the car, and doesn't hurt Toyota.

If you are worried about adding a hitch for your bikes, don't do it. Don't even think about doing it. I certainly gain nothing from convincing you that it is safe. By not adding one, you're safe, and Toyota is safe. Nothing more to discuss really. There are plenty of us risk takers out here who aren't having any issues with racks or hitches - but that doesn't mean it'll be the same for you.

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I suspect it went something like this:
    Customer added hitch for bicycle carrying. Two bicycles (30 lbs each for heavy ones) plus hitch (30 lbs for heavy duty one) - less than limit. NO PROBLEM.

Customer then needed to haul some garden supplies. Hey, there's a hitch, lets use a small trailer! Three bags of whatever, 50 lbs each, plus small trailer - tongue weight ends up over 100 lbs. PROBLEM. It reduces load on front wheels allowing them to spin. Trips VSC.

Solution, warn customer NO HITCH!

It's corporate. That's how it works.

15. techguru

techguru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I can't speak for LMA (particularly since she is out driving her Prius right now...), but I am very re-assured.

Alan

16. StuartS

StuartS New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LMA @ Sep 17 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]320750[/snapback]</div>
    In the Netherlands Toyota Dealers supply & fit a Brinks receiver hitch for bike racks, this accessory is on the NL Toyota web site. The Netherlands are the only Country to offer the hitch officially. Iwrote to Toyota UK asrequesting clarification about fitting a receiver hitch and have a reply from them stating that the fitting will not invalidate the warranty.

Since the Prius isn't type approved in the EU for towing, and there are no type approved Tow Bars manufactured, the use of a receiver hitch modified to tow a trailer would be illegal. Which policeman has that depth of knowledge about type approval legislation???

StuartS

17. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

lots of people have towed trailers with the Prius as well. Some across North America and back and suffered no ill effects to the car. I've watched MG temps and Inverter temps when towing my trailer and they're no different than using the car in stop and go traffic. CYA=Toyota

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Sep 17 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]320859[/snapback]</div>
    How about bringing up the topic of tire type & size?

Talking about CYA opportunities.

In other words, they pretty won't endorse anything beyond what the factory offers.

19. iaowings

iaowings New Member

i might be wrong but I thought that the prius had a rather low cargo weight of 600lbi.
    So a trailer loaded with junk would over load the car would it not. Like every one here says better safe than sorry.

I can just see someone trying to tow another car with a prius and destroying the car in the process. They would then turn around and say Toyota never said I could not tow a Ford Excursion with my car.

People (not all people) are stupid, if you tell them they can tow a bike rack that somehow translates into a horse trailer for some people.

20. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Sep 17 2006, 05:28 AM) [snapback]320768[/snapback]</div>
    In my manual it's on page 353. Quote:

"Toyota does not recommend towing a trailer with your Toyota. Toyota also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your Toyota is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted carriers."

Is this CYA for Toyota? Probably. I owned a car years ago with a clear warning - Do Not Tow Anything. Nothing about it being "not recommended" - They said it would void the power train warranty.

Toyota says it is "not recommended." I would not expect the owners manual to expain all the reasoning behind that. The manual tells you how to use the car, and warns you how not to use it where the manufacturer thinks it's worth noting.

I would imagine that Toyota did not design the body of the car to take the moment generated by weight on a tow hitch carrier. Doesn't mean it will break the car, but if something does happen - your tailgate starts to leak or rattle, etc - don't blame Toyota, they didn't design the car to have bikes hanging off a hitch receiver. There is no place on the Prius that was inteneded to support a hitch.

Toyota has no reason to cover their arses about towing in general. They make plenty of other vehicles with towing ability. Some Toyotas can tow quite a bit and come equipped with tow packages. So I wouldn't think they are kidding about these recommendations on the Prius. Towing ability is a reason why some people don't drive economy cars. One of the reason I used to drive an SUV was to tow my small boat. I have a bigger boat now :D, one that is not "towable" and stays in a marina - so I don't need and SUV anymore.