1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone still recycle?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 30, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Free bags@94. These are also in China, so one accepts gift while out walking. Only problem arises when you don't (or under-) prepare for a shopping trip. Bag purchase option then appeals.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we keep enough reusable bags in each car so to never get caught short. and we put them by the door to the garage so we'll remember to take them back to the car.
    but we also get enough brown paper bags to use two a week for rubbish.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have one politician in the family (magistrate judge, formerly DA), and he claims that there are a numerous good politicians at the local level. Most certainly not all of them, but reasonably many.

But the honest ones are stuck at that local level. To move up, they must lie. The higher they want to go (county, state, federal), the more they must lie. And of course, the climbers often start at the local level too.

The DA position was a partisan office. He left it in part because he couldn't stomach the partisan territory. Judicial positions are technically non-partisan.

#103 fuzzy1, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "To move up, they must lie"

Dang.

So strange is US' politic. Here is told bottom-up hitting something like an influence wall. Top-down needs entrancing voters including 'low-information' voters. As much as many idolize US' politics, holding it above other systems strictly requires demonstration that thisaway yields better results than all other thataways.

Even that is not enough. We'd do better to wonder how countries of any size transfer effectively will of (and benefit to) PEOPLE. I could never ask for more than that. Don't fear that any such could hamper ++ rich in their efforts to become +++ rich because those efforts are going very well. It is only those many others who we might wonder about.

So 'political'; so separate from recycling which is our assignment here.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Some nice points in there- and I appreciate the redirection back to the recycling topic as well.

This discussion has brought me to the point of considering recasting the effort of recycling in a negative light, because I feel it's been revealed to be a rather fragile system with limited benefits even when everything works.

Essentially I'm looking at the materials problem scored a different way:

Continued use of material in place = Total win

Re-use of material in another place = moderated win

recycling of material = partially moderated failure

abandonment of material = abject failure

landfilling of material = critical failure with subsequent (literal) cover-up operation

Of course that's just a theoretical scorecard, with no useful way to link it to the economics or logistics of the situation.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Two large and strange aspects of recycling involve electronic waste and ship-breaking. Both happen mostly in low-income countries and with little concern for externalities.

These are quite different from household recycling; our main topic here. Latter is driven by local governmental attempts to do good, or market value downstream, or individual goals to be better.

People make lots of things, not all of which have any purpose beyond directing marketing or purchase decisions. Plastics (it is so hard for me to use that uninformative term) are 380 million tons per year. I dare to say total 'single-use' production is 1 billion tons per year.

All that is handled, more or less, according to market forces. Disputing original thread thesis, I see no evidence that people are walking away from recycling. But if we are underperforming, cures can only come from production becoming better attuned to economic reuse.

Or, if current recycling is best we can do, then 2050 brings more people, more economic activity, and perhaps twice current 'waste' burial.

Hope y'all got a lot of holes.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The term plastic does cover a large range of materials. Which is why it might be better long term to throw the lot into a pressure vessel without sorting, and convert them all into a syncrude.

Nearly all the plastic in a car is not recyclable; specially the soft stuff reviewers rave about. Switching from petroleum to a renewable source for it doesn't automatically mean the stuff isn't going to stick around for far longer than it was in use in the car. Much of that biobased plastic is mixed into the petro material.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let's concentrate our space efforts on shipping the waste out of our galaxy. 'spaceexit'

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Actually I'd like to develop a network of billions of really sharp, dense (think tungsten caltrops) inertia impactors flying in lots of different low earth orbits.

The idea is to make it essentially impossible for a spacecraft to escape Earth orbit. That way everyone will have to focus on fixing problems down here.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We are already working on that.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an interesting idea until the communications and navigation and METOC satellites start crapping out.....
    It might also be valuable in the next few decades to continue to develop technologies that will allow us to nudge a planet-killing asteroid off course enough to pass us by......

Craters happen.....about 100-percent of the time if our neighbors are an accurate sampling.

YMMV.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let the asteroid hit us and put us out of our misery.(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Global warming will likely do it for us.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd rather freeze to death.

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a waste management plant about ten or so miles from here that burns solid waste to power a 45 megawatt generator.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or even our own surface, where the normally rapid erosion hasn't managed to erase all of them.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^^^misquote^^^

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, unintentional mess up by @fuzzy1? It was @ETC(SS) said that.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, not sure what happened, and it is too late to fix it. (Dang 12 hour limit!) That would happen if I was initially going to reply to multiple items, then mis-edited while paring it down.

But I was earlier going to reply to Bisco at #108, then abandoned it before going out for the day. Maybe the header was still in my edit field when starting the later reply, and I suffered a multitasking error. If so, it reinforces that I shouldn't be trying to squeeze in a reply while other folks and animals are trying to get my attention.

#119 fuzzy1, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No worries, i’m The asteroid, ‘take one for the team’ guy.

Raytheeagle likes this.