1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does anyone think the panel gaps on their Gen III are "larger" than what they should be?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Chris129, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Friend of mine bought a Gen III Prius and many of the panel gaps (between windshield pillar and front fenders, between spoiler and rear quarter panel, between hood and front fenders, etc.) seem larger than what they should be. We estimate they are at least 1/2 -3/4 centimeters.

Looked at another Gen III Prius another friend of mine owned today and the gaps are much, much tighter.

Any observations on you other Gen IIIers? Thanks!

2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine look large but they arent 1/2 a centimeter, they look like all the others I have seen.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine are no larger than my wife's 2007 Honda Accord, or most other cars that I see.

4. Chris129

Chris129 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow interesting... the build date on my friend's car with the problem was shortly after the disaster they had in Japan, so I wonder if that had any effect on quality control. Toyotas and Hondas are usually pretty good with panel gap and alignment, so we were totally surprised with this Prius' seemingly large panel gaps! Will do more research and see what we find.

Thanks guys!

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since the assembly process is heavily automated, there shouldn't be a noticeable variation. If the factory got hit by power outages maybe computers weren't calibrated properly? Still, I doubt they would send out cars that were that badly misaligned!

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Was it purchased new? Could it have been in a wreck? New car dealers do not have to disclose repairs if it is below a certain % of MSRP, depends on your state law.

7. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My biggest pet peeve with the prius interior, is how the glove box, and the storage box above it do not line up. The dash line inside the car differs right where they meet causing every passenger in my car to say:

"Do you know your glove boxes don't line up?"

or

"Why doesn't the glove box door close all the way"

to which I reply, they are fine, they just look stupid.

8. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was going to sit in another Prius when I go pick up my plates to see if it has the same alignment issue with the two glove boxes. So it is by design hmmm.

9. Curiousgb

Curiousgb New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My lower box won't lock on the right side because of the misalignment.

10. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh my gosh! Will you people stop your complaining and just enjoy the D$!#M car. Look at all the money your saving at the gas pump for crying out loud. Man, if we lived back in the cowboys days you'd be complaining that your darn wagon doesn't line up perfectly too!

11. Curiousgb

Curiousgb New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I spend 20+k on anything I have some modest expectations that things work.

12. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Especially from a maker previously known for good fit and finish.
    Between the eco plastic and the panel alignment issues (I just noticed the air bag pad / horn button in the steer wheel is mounted a little off center too), this car reminds me of a cheap GM from the mid 1990's.

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't complain. The fit and gaps on the inside and outside of my car are fine. Must have been assembled in the middle of the week. :D