1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does battery tender charge hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jburner, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Jburner

Jburner Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ve had this happen several times and I’m wondering if it’s coincidence or if it’s happening because I charge my 12 v battery overnight with a battery tender. Each morning after leaving the 12v battery on the tender, my hybrid battery is almost full on startup. Does charging the 12v battery also charge the hybrid battery?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No. It can't. When you shutdown the system, that 12-volt battery is used to disconnect the battery-pack. (It flips a relay.)

If you truly want to know state-of-charge level, you'll need to use an aftermarket app. The dashboard display is only a generalized depiction.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the hybrid battery level when you shut down at the end of the day?

4. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Changes in temperature will also change the amount of charge the hybrid battery has and can hold. Since spring is rolling in, the battery will start to be able to hold more charge than the winter.

5. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I once a couple times a year charge my 12v battery and it always seems I get better MPG after doing so. No scientific reasoning here, just my personal judgement.

FYI: I always personally try to charge my battery to 80%, or at least 50% if leaving it overnight or a few days. For me its not too difficult, just keep the car from using the hybrid battery to cruise down my street and then slow down to charge it before pulling into the driveway.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ?

7. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    If I understand the hybrid system explanation by The Car Care Nut and others on YouTube (for what that’s worth) there is no physical connection between the two when everything is shut down, so it shouldn’t be possible. Plus, considering the size of the traction battery, the battery tender isn’t capable of charging it to that level overnight unless it putting out a lot more amps than I understand them capable of at the tender setting.