1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does bush say "nucular" on purpose?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I read somewhere that accents can be ingraned at an early age, so it makes sense speech patterns do too.

2. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 10 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]373912[/snapback]</div>
    Dude...he did it on purpose. Settle down, Beavis. Get a sense of humor.

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Jan 10 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]373943[/snapback]</div>
    That is to say a LEGACY "C" student meaning his family contributed heavily to the university thereby 'buying' their idiot son a degree at a prestigious university(s). Some people are 'C' students, but they earn the 'C' all by themselves. All this guy ever earned is the derision so many of us feel toward him. Thank God he's a 'uniter' because if he weren't I can only imagine the invectives that would be tossed his way!

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

and now for a little levity

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elayne-boosl...tz_b_38468.html

The Bush Berlitz
    READ MORE: Iraq

Because sometimes you need a dictionary...

BUSHMINI = ENGLISH

Augmentation= Escalation

Surge = Augmentation

21,500= Pissing in the wind

Nucular= Nuclear

Strategy = Pin the Tail on the Donkey

Mission= Quagmire

Sectarian violence= Civil war

Iraq Study Group= Milli Vanilli

Reviewed all options= Iraq, paper, scissors

Not open ended= The Grand Canyon

Sacrifice= Go shopping

Woronterr= War on terror

Tourists = Terrorists

Tourists, Woronterr = Fear! Fear! Fear!

Make Americans safer= Fear! Fear! Fear!

Make Americans safer= But not with condoms

Domestic wiretapping= Fear! Fear! Fear!

Habeus Corpus= So 1776

Stem cell research is murder=Three thousand Americans dead

Culture of life= Three thousand Americans dead

Clear Skies Initiative= Roll back energy plant emissions standards

Healthy Forests Initiative= Clear cutting forests

Clear Iraqi neighborhoods=Clear Neighborhoods Initiative

Patriot Act= It's an act

Energy Independence= No minimum MPG standards

Iraqi Independence = No minimum IED standards

The check is in the mail= And your grandchildren are
    going to have to make it good

Sacrifice more young men and women= Not my kids

Another 6.6 Billion = Not my money

A real plan= Not my job

Shia "insurgents"= Half the seats in Iraqi parliament

Sunni insurgents= Tutsis

I'm the Decider = Let the Democrats come up with a
    plan

Rebuild Iraq= Not rebuild New Orleans

Prosperity= Halliburton, Bechtel

Work with congress= Veto

Co- operation = Talk to the hand

My Fellow Americans= Evangelical base

Affordable health care= One million new uninsured this year

Booming home ownership= Balloon mortgages for poor people

Home ownership= Foreclosure

Iraq= Foreclosure

My presidency= Foreclosure

Bring the troops home, for closure

Read all posts by Elayne Boosler

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 11 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]374212[/snapback]</div>
    Well now that you mention it, no, I didn’t lose it. Your pathetically poor attempt at humor just wasn’t there to begin with. Now why don't you and your ilk go grab a hot cup of STFU and get over this already, it's on me. What a bunch of maroons. <_<

Wildkow

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 10 2007, 08:39 PM) [snapback]373972[/snapback]</div>
    Nope just too stupid to get over it, now you and burrito go have a nice cup of STFU. please.

Wildkow

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 11 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]374534[/snapback]</div>
    Don't get all mad. We all know you're slow. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either. Some of us(and when I mean us, I mean you) are just born with double digit IQs.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jan 11 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]374238[/snapback]</div>
    Well, my experience has been that some very smart people mispronounce common words, and nuclear is one of the most commonly mispronounced words. After 50 or so years of saying it wrong, it is very hard to not lapse back into a "habit".

I have a word I cannot pronounce. Its a simple one too. "Ruin". People tell me I'm saying it incorrectly, and then say "You are saying RUIN and you should be saying RUIN." I hear both examples exactly the same. I can't differentiate the sounds they are using to explain how I'm mangling the word. I suspect my brain is wired to the sound, and like an editor who misses his own spelling errors, I cannot correct it.

One of the most interesting polls I saw some years back was one where they asked people to rate their own intelligence. It seems America is very smart ... so smart in fact that the average American believes he is smarter than the average American! I know that's just stupid, so I must be even smarter than all of those people.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 11 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]374540[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah? Well whatever. Sorry for the vehemence but I am so sick and tired of this petty little humiliating dig I could vomit. Get over it already!

Wildkow

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 11 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]374564[/snapback]</div>
    Now THAT'S funny!

10. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Jan 11 2007, 08:32 AM) [snapback]374060[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently you mean George W. by Waah. I'm not fan of the guy by any means, but I think you're putting him down farther than you should. You think he reads what he does off of a teleprompter?

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.'' —Townsend, Tenn., Feb. 21, 2001

"I am here to make an announcement that this Thursday, ticket counters and airplanes will fly out of Ronald Reagan Airport." —Washington, D.C., Oct. 3, 2001

"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it." —Philadelphia, Penn., May 14, 2001

But seriously, he knows how to push an agenda, make deals, and survive in the political world. He's no idiot in that department, and doesn't use a teleprompter for that. He also says things like "We need an energy bill that encourages consumption." —Trenton, N.J., Sept. 23, 2002; which is purely scary.

As far as the particulars of pronunciation go, I wouldn't hold it against him. I figured with my Minnesota upbringing, I had a generic midwest accent that fit all social norms. Then I moved to Texas, and they actually corrected my speech! People that can't distinguish 'tent' from 'tint' would tell me "Ya'll know that flag and flake have different vowel sounds?" I looked it up in the dictionary and they were right. I've lived in Connecticut and found they differentiate between cot and caught. When they say the words together I can tell there is a difference, but I still have no idea which one is which, I say them the same (which was kind of a problem for the male vs. female names of Don and Dawn). But then they say something like "sit on the sofer" or "buy a ticket for the drawring", and it just grates on me. Why do we say "Dez Plainz" for the Chicago suburb of Des Plaines, but the 's' is silent in Illinois (for locals). Don't ever say Ore-e-gone when visiting Oregon, nobody lives there. Each area has its regional differences, and I for one kind of like the set I was brought up with - I'm not working to change my speech patterns even though I now live in a different region. Luckily, it's close enough to the common patterns of business and mass media that people don't think I'm uneducated or unintelligent because of my speech.

(Quotes come from http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm)

11. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    That Texas Twang our President has is as phony as he is. He grew up in Kennebunk Port Maine and moved to Texas late enough in life that his accent was pure New England patrician. In fact he graduated High School from the Philips Academy in Andover, Ma and I doubt it was with that accent that he accepted his diploma. He then went to Yale in New Haven, Ct. for undergraduate and then Havard for his MBA (with him that stand for Master Bulls**T Artist) in Boston, Ma getting gentleman's C grade (grandpa & daddy must a paid a s**t load of money to get him those C grades). So the accent is something he has developed to be one with the people. I have heard him pronounce nuclear correctly a few times and I am positive it was a slip of the tongue.

12. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 10 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]373928[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a native Texan and lived all over Texas, north in Dallas, east on the Gulf, south in San Antonio, and west just a few miles from dubya's childhood home town. I have never met anyone in Texas who talks like him. Even illegals in Texas who learn English as a second language are more articulate than him. dubya speaks that way because he's an idiot.

Fictional media often incorrectly assumes Texans have accents common to the deep south: Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas. Texas is "southwest" not "deep south." That would be like people in Washington state having a Jersey or Bronx accent.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Worrying about how the president pronounces nuclear is WAAAYYYYYY down o the priority scale Now be honest, how much do you "worry" about how people you like or support mispronounce words. (because I guaran-damn-tee they do)

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Jan 15 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]375849[/snapback]</div>
    While I can understand what you're saying, and in this case it's possible that it's not a significant matter to waste time worrying about, mispronounced words are important.

If I, as your physician, were to consistantly mispronounce the names of body parts or diseases would it not give you some pause regarding my knowledge and ability as a physician? This 'nucular' issue is similar. I expect my president to know and use words that are important to his job and our country's well being. I want to know that my president knows how a word is pronounce, what it means, and it's significance. If one of those points come into question it makes me wonder about the others.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 15 2007, 08:38 PM) [snapback]376067[/snapback]</div>
    Bush's pronunciation of "nuclear" has FAR LESS real consquence than in the medical profession. To compare such is totally asinine.

The superficiality of the anti-Bush crowd is truly spectacular.

16. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 16 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]376464[/snapback]</div>
    No, I think Dr. Fusco's point is not just valid but, as your response proves, insufficently considered. Even my first post in this thread indicated I thought the matter trivial - but following the thread through I have to agree with Fusco.

When the stakes are high, mankind insists the practioners that have lives in their hands have the skill and knowledge to keep the spilled blood to a minimum. Doctors, airline pilots, even cosmeticians have to meet minumum schooling requirements - why we don't apply similar requirements to those who hold political office, where today the stakes involve the literal survival of the biosphere, strikes me as asinine to the 42nd power.

And even where skill and knowledge may be adequate, we still look askance when a practitioner is slovenly, or habitually imprecise when precision should be his forte. As Fusco said, would you really be comfortable if you overheard your doctor talking to another doctor about your condition, and your doctor consistently mispronounced words and sounded unfamiliar with the medical lexicon. Brother, if I heard that I'd think I'd been in the hands of a quack, and whether true or not, I wouldn't take the chance.

And THAT'S the bottom line. Is it worth taking the chance? What's at stake? Life itself for a major part of the planet, if not all of it? Why take a chance on a guy who's an obvious cripple when it comes to thinking any more deeply than a Dick and Jane reader?

Why did we?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's a difference between an intelligent person donning the semblance of a moron and a moron.

I want my president to be intelligent or at least to appear to be intelligent.

I don't want my president to appear to be a moron.....repeatedly.

If it were just "nuke-oo-lar" that would be one thing, but it's not. He repeatedly sticks his huge feet in his big mouth. They aren't called "Bushisms" for nothing. They're not rare. And it's not a small thing mostly un-noticed. It's lists of stupidity broadcast all over the world. Aliens in other Universes think our president is a moron.

And he's done nothing to dispprove that opinion. On the contrary, he's reinforced by doing it again and again.

I want a literate President. I want an intelligent President. I want an eloquent President.

George W. Bush is none of these.

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    QUESTION: Can you name the general who is in charge of Pakistan?

BUSH: Wait, wait, is this 50 questions?

QUESTION: No, it’s four questions of four leaders in four hot spots.

BUSH: The new Pakistani general, he’s just been elected–not elected, this guy just took over office. It appears this guy is going to bring stability to the country, and I think that’s good news for the Subcontinent.

QUESTION: Can you name him?

BUSH: General. I can’t name the general. General.

In the global war on terror, Bush needs to win the support of countries like Pakistan. The first step is to learn something about them.

But perhaps it isn't Bush that is appearing stupid to the world, but the American people for being stupid enough to re-elect him after his performance for four years as president and Commander in Chief. (Who doesn't know who the General in charge of Pakistan is.) (General Pervaiz Musharraf)

Bush no whizz

The "S"- factor.

"The question I am most frequently asked about Bushisms is, "Do you really think the president of the United States is dumb?"

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is yes and no. "

"Bush may not have been born stupid, but he has achieved stupidity, and now he wears it as a badge of honor. What makes mocking this president fair as well as funny is that Bush is, or at least once was, capable of learning, reading, and thinking. We know he has discipline and can work hard (at least when the goal is reducing his time for a three-mile run). Instead he chose to coast, for most of his life, on name, charm, good looks, and the easy access to capital afforded by family connections.

The most obvious expression of Bush's choice of ignorance is that, at the age of 57, he knows nothing about policy or history. After years of working as his dad's spear-chucker in Washington, he didn't understand the difference between Medicare and Medicaid, the second- and third-largest federal programs. Well into his plans for invading Iraq, Bush still couldn't get down the distinction between Sunni and Shiite Muslims, the key religious divide in a country he was about to occupy. Though he sometimes carries books for show, he either does not read them or doesn't absorb anything from them."

"A second, more damning aspect of Bush's mind-set is that he doesn't want to know anything in detail, however important. Since college, he has spilled with contempt for knowledge, equating learning with snobbery and making a joke of his own anti-intellectualism. ("[William F. Buckley] wrote a book at Yale; I read one," he quipped at a black-tie event.) By O'Neill's account, Bush could sit through an hourlong presentation about the state of the economy without asking a single question. ("I was bored as hell," the president shot back, ostensibly in jest.)

Closely related to this aggressive ignorance is a third feature of Bush's mentality: laziness. Again, this is a lifelong trait. Bush's college grades were mostly Cs (including a 73 in Introduction to the American Political System). At the start of one term, the star of the Yale football team spotted him in the back row during the shopping period for courses. "Hey! George Bush is in this class!" Calvin Hill shouted to his teammates. "This is the one for us!" As governor of Texas, Bush would take a long break in the middle of his short workday for a run followed by a stretch of video golf or computer solitaire.

A fourth and final quality of Bush's mind is that it does not think. The president can't tolerate debate about issues. Offered an option, he makes up his mind quickly and never reconsiders."

"As the president says, we misunderestimate him. He was not born stupid. He chose stupidity. Bush may look like a well-meaning dolt. On consideration, he's something far more dangerous: a dedicated fool."

How Bush chose stupidity.

And maybe we are, since that is the way we are treated. And we were stupid enough to re-elect him after his first four years.

Is Bush stupid? or is America?

"So, the question for the American people remains – is Bush so ill-informed that his war policy is guided by a false historical analysis and so forgetful that he can’t remember important events in which he played a leading role?

Or does Bush think that the American people are so gullible that they will buy whatever he sells them – as long as he does it with a folksy charm?"

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jan 16 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]376593[/snapback]</div>
    Give me one material negative result of Bush's mispronunciation of nuclear. Anyone? Anyone?

Give me one material negative result of a Physician's mispronunciation of something or other at a critical moment, or even in a pilot's communication with the tower....

Gee, I wonder which one will yield results?

...and "it makes him look like a fool" is not a valid response. Reasonable, rational people, do not judge a man on his pronunciation of one word, or even a handful of words, only bitter bandwagon Bush bashers, and those who prefer cleaning and waxing their cars versus fixing that weird thumping noise coming from under the hood.

This is a great indicator of just how shallow the anti-Bushies are, they place emphasis, and dream of some articulate, Clinton-esque GQ President to make them "feel" better, like he's somehow more intelligent because he's articulate in his speech (oh, btw, who want's to pull up stats on how articulate speech corresponds to actual intelligence? :lol: ), and "seems to know what he's doing...."

Talk about emphasis on image...

It's useless though, the irrational bandwagon Bush haters, had their minds made up long ago, there is no aspect of Bush they won't make fun of, or attempt to spin into something or other... I'm sure someone out there has complained about how Bush is sooo stupid, his suits even suck and make him look like a fool, how that makes Americans look stupid, yada, yada, yada... :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 17 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]376624[/snapback]</div>
    'nuff said.

20. mslc10

mslc10 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jan 10 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]373899[/snapback]</div>
    2 things 1 do you remember how Jimbo Carter said it....and he was ON a "nuceear" sub!!!
    2 Has someone informed you that it is "supposedly", not suposably.

bush is so stupid that he fooled everybody into thinking there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.......hmmmmm...fooled by someone soooo stupid ??? what does that say for your elected leaders???