1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does bush say "nucular" on purpose?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 16 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]376464[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of things that are irritating are very superficial - 'fingernails on a blackboard' is hardly something of great significance!

I happen to be one of the anti-Bush crowd myself, but I'd have been equally irritated at the pronunciation of 'nucular' even if it had been Gene McCarthy.

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 16 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]376464[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of things that are irritating are very superficial - 'fingernails on a blackboard' is hardly something of great significance!

I happen to be one of the anti-Bush crowd myself, but I'd have been equally irritated at the pronunciation of 'nucular' even if it had been Gene McCarthy.

3. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Squid, about the doctor analogy. The doctor will not inspire confidence if he does not pronounce medical terminology correctly. The only result of this would be that he loses potential patients; mispronunciation doesn't kill people. By the same token, a president would not inspire confidence if he can't (or won't) pronounce the terminology used in his arena correctly, either. This has an impact on the country because every other leader in the world sees this, and think they are dealing with an idiot. The rest of the world has lost confidence and respect in the US because of the apparent stupidity of it's leader. This is a worse result, no?

If the doctor were truly stupid, then the result would be worse. Same with a president, but magnified. The president's decisions involve millions of people, not only one. A stupid doctor could kill only a limited amount of patients before something is done about it. How many deaths can we attribute to Bush's decisions?

I think the point they are trying to make is not just the mispronunciation (yes, the thread started by discussing that, but then went deeper). The point is that Bush is not intelligent. I don't care if he doesn't pronounce all of his words correctly, but I do wish our president had more intelligence. I also think that if he had any sense, he would make an effort to say the word correctly, and try to give the illusion of intelligence, but apparently, he's not even smart enough for that.

So, the real problem with Bush is that he really is dumb. Here's how I see it - I was a straight-A student, always scoring above the 99th percentile (yes, where 100 is the 'smart' end of the spectrum) for every aptitude test I took. So I know that the very vast majority of students taking those tests scored lower than I. This means I am considered intelligent, by most standards. Even so, I would NEVER presume that I would have the intelligence needed to run this country. I want someone SMARTER than I am to run the joint. George just doesn't make the grade. That's the part that scares me about him.

I don't want a C student performing my brain surgery, and I don't want a C student running my country. That's the big problem I have with Bush - he does not have the brains for the job. If he were not born into a wealthy family, he would be lucky to have a low-paying menial job.

Oh, and as for Jimmy Carter - yes, his pronunciation was pure Georgia. Just like mine is pure Carolina.

4. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Squid, about the doctor analogy. The doctor will not inspire confidence if he does not pronounce medical terminology correctly. The only result of this would be that he loses potential patients; mispronunciation doesn't kill people. By the same token, a president would not inspire confidence if he can't (or won't) pronounce the terminology used in his arena correctly, either. This has an impact on the country because every other leader in the world sees this, and think they are dealing with an idiot. The rest of the world has lost confidence and respect in the US because of the apparent stupidity of it's leader. This is a worse result, no?

If the doctor were truly stupid, then the result would be worse. Same with a president, but magnified. The president's decisions involve millions of people, not only one. A stupid doctor could kill only a limited amount of patients before something is done about it. How many deaths can we attribute to Bush's decisions?

I think the point they are trying to make is not just the mispronunciation (yes, the thread started by discussing that, but then went deeper). The point is that Bush is not intelligent. I don't care if he doesn't pronounce all of his words correctly, but I do wish our president had more intelligence. I also think that if he had any sense, he would make an effort to say the word correctly, and try to give the illusion of intelligence, but apparently, he's not even smart enough for that.

So, the real problem with Bush is that he really is dumb. Here's how I see it - I was a straight-A student, always scoring above the 99th percentile (yes, where 100 is the 'smart' end of the spectrum) for every aptitude test I took. So I know that the very vast majority of students taking those tests scored lower than I. This means I am considered intelligent, by most standards. Even so, I would NEVER presume that I would have the intelligence needed to run this country. I want someone SMARTER than I am to run the joint. George just doesn't make the grade. That's the part that scares me about him.

I don't want a C student performing my brain surgery, and I don't want a C student running my country. That's the big problem I have with Bush - he does not have the brains for the job. If he were not born into a wealthy family, he would be lucky to have a low-paying menial job.

Oh, and as for Jimmy Carter - yes, his pronunciation was pure Georgia. Just like mine is pure Carolina.

5. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    one correction "he who must not be named but recently *retired* ' is Bush's brain ;)

6. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    one correction "he who must not be named but recently *retired* ' is Bush's brain ;)

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a coworker that was born in Washington state, grew up here, and then, as an adult, moved to Texas.

Now, he can't talk. He's ruined.

He thinks that there is an "R" in Washington. And he addresses BUSINESS EMAILS to "Ya'll"

Sigh.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a coworker that was born in Washington state, grew up here, and then, as an adult, moved to Texas.

Now, he can't talk. He's ruined.

He thinks that there is an "R" in Washington. And he addresses BUSINESS EMAILS to "Ya'll"

Sigh.

9. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jan 11 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]374238[/snapback]</div>
    People, his mother is a New England blue-blood, his father probably also; our family story goes that my cousin taught the senior GB at an exclusive undergrad prep academy in New England.

Ergo, he didn't learn that at home and it's is a calculated affect to appeal to the morons that make up a large proportion of his constituency.

10. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jtullos @ Jan 11 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]374238[/snapback]</div>
    People, his mother is a New England blue-blood, his father probably also; our family story goes that my cousin taught the senior GB at an exclusive undergrad prep academy in New England.

Ergo, he didn't learn that at home and it's is a calculated affect to appeal to the morons that make up a large proportion of his constituency.

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Actions speak louder than (mispronouncing) words. Pappy Bush had a problem with Sad-damn, the guy who outsmarted him. Ergo, it's plain to see we need a heavy tax on stupidity beginning with taxing the cause...inheriting fortunes. We need to eliminate earned income tax, and instead heavily tax inheritances.

12. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Actions speak louder than (mispronouncing) words. Pappy Bush had a problem with Sad-damn, the guy who outsmarted him. Ergo, it's plain to see we need a heavy tax on stupidity beginning with taxing the cause...inheriting fortunes. We need to eliminate earned income tax, and instead heavily tax inheritances.