1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does charger need a grounded outlet?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by eegah, Nov 22, 2017.

1. eegah

eegah Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My garage outlet circuit breaker is GFCI, as the manual states is required, but I don't see a requirement for the ground to be hooked up. The charger for my Volt required it, so I was wondering whether I need to fix the outlet in my garage to add the ground or not. I haven't tested the charger yet to see if it works without it, but even if it did is there a reason to get the ground connected anyway?

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, there's a GFCI in the EVSE, so you need a ground:cool:

jerrymildred and eegah like this.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, if you walk thru water to plug the car in, having that second ground won’t do any harm.
    On an audio system I float the second ground, inside a house, less static, but I’m thinking safety first when you’re dealing with live wires outdoors.

4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you speaking of the green safety ground wire ( always mandatory ) OR the small white 4th wire?

5. eegah

eegah Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think I mean the green one. Our house is old, so a few outlets (including the garage, unfortunately) don't have it. We had an electrician install GFCI's for all of them when we bought the place, but didn't want to rewire the whole house. I can see the argument for having it outside, though.

I think what I'm going to do is have my electrician replace the 15A breaker and non-ground wire to the garage with a 30A grounded one that splits into a new car charger outlet and the rest of the garage. For some reason, all of the other wiring actually in the garage has ground (probably not hooked up at the outlets, but that's no big deal), so I can ground the other outlets at the same time.

I also need to punch a hole in the garage wall to run the charger handle. I'll have to mount some kind of enclosure or rain shield for it, too. Ick.

6. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Lightning or any surge/fault will find it's way to the easiest ground. If it finds you or your pretty new Prime to be the easiest ground, then guess what? I'd unplug it (car and EVSE) when lightning is known to be in the area. Manual states the same.

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Only if you want the protection to function (which you do).

8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 3rd wire on the average normal plug is unnecessary. However it’s purpose is to divert to ground any live wire that isn’t where it’s supposed to be, such as: a metal chassis. You touch, you fry! Now for lightning, that’s a different subject, for protection one needs a lightning rod to attract, a conductor wire to connect to a metal rod that’s buried 6 feet deep, or more to ground. but, lightning is such a iffy thing, that anything can and does happen, no matter how you protect.

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now, back to the smaller white wire which I had to connect my solar panels to ground, yes another ground. I think according to the code the electrician will be familiar with the hookup. The electrical Engineer and I discussed this wire in depth, I pointed out that the connection is going to the same ground as the green wire, he agreed with me. when my son and I connected out EV chargers we just went to the safety ground. I personally think that’s a legislative, beaucrat wire.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I.e. it is unnecessary in the same sense that seat belts and airbags are unnecessary. As long as nothing goes wrong, you'll be fine.

The ground wire may also be used for some electrical noise filtering and suppression. Disconnected grounds can lead to increased interference with other devices.

11. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Strictly speaking a GFCI doesn't need a ground to function - it just detects the difference in the current between the live and neutral - it is assumed that any difference is going to ground through a fault (such as through a person) and should result in the GFCI tripping.

You do need the ground for other safety reasons and the EVSE may need it to do any interference filtering - so I would not recommend using it without a ground.

kevin

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You need a ground if you want to test your GFCI and the EVSE might do a self-test.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  13. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes. You really want solid connections among chassis (body) ground on the vehicle, the ground wire in the charging cable (EVSE), the equipment grounding conductor (green wire) in the branch circuit, and the earth. This helps to ensure that a fault at any point will be promptly cleared, so no one will be exposed to dangerous voltages, even if the CCID or GFCI should happen to malfunction.
    If you’re using the Toyota-supplied charging cable, it needs an outlet on a 15 ampere or 20 ampere branch circuit. If you’re having an electrician come in anyway, you might want to consider installing a Level 2 charging station that can charge more quickly, or at least making provisions to install one in the future.

14. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have 2 juicers hooked up now, for Prime and a leaf and probably my sons prius also (2012) If you have a dryer the charger can be connected at that point. Instead of running a new white wire to the CB box we just connected it to the green safety ground. Now at the new house the connections are more professional. what would be easier for the novice is a schematic diagram. I’m not computer savvy enough for that.

15. eegah

eegah Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I already have a level 2 charger in the garage for my Volt, and I had the foresight to have my electrician install a 50A circuit and breaker. That would allow me to have him split the wire in the garage to another 16A charger. However, that would require buying another level 2 for $400. On the other hand, the electrical work would probably cost less than upgrading the garage outlets to 30A with ground, because a new grounded wire would need to be run from the breaker box in the basement to the garage.

One complicating factor is that the Prime will be kept outside, so I'd have to run the charger cable outside and have a protected enclosure for it. I'm a little hesitant to spend $600-800 to have a level 2 installed, when the level 1 that came with the car would do just fine. Installing the outlet and enclosure for that will still probably cost around $200-300, though, because I have to upgrade the circuit. It has the added benefit of ground-ifying the other outlets in the garage, though. Option (C) is to not bother with either, and just run my level 2 through the open garage door to her car (which would require her parking behind me) or the level 1 from the outdoor outlet about 50 ft away.

16. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    take it from a electrician which i am ground reqired

Mark57, Andyprius1 and jerrymildred like this.
  17. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On the juicer charger a inclement weather cover comes with it and this allows it to also be hung up.

18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are there any 110 outlets in the US with only 2 prongs. If your male & female plug is 3 prong then it’s safety grounded.
    Buy a multimeter, cost as little as $5.00 or $100.00. While your at it, buy a kilowatt Meter. After a period of time you’ll understand what you are talking about. ( not a criticism)

19. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a Fluke model 115 True RMS Multimeter AND a KILL-A-WATT Model P4400.01 and I still don't know what I'm talking about:confused:

Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  20. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are articles on Wikipedia explaining the difference between the Neutral and the Ground. In the standard US 120 V configuration, the Neutral is connected to ground somewhere, but not necessarily at the same place the Ground is. Since current flows through the Neutral, there will be a voltage difference between Neutral and Ground, due to the voltage drop across the wire. For safety, one wants the equipment to be at ground potential (voltage), so if there is a fault anywhere, including in the Neutral, the GFCI will trip, and the equipment chassis won't be left sitting with a high potential vs. Ground.

For what it's worth, the Chargepoint 32A Home charging station uses a NEMA 6-50 plug, which has three connectors: HOT-HOT-GROUND. No Neutral.

#20 CharlesH, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017