1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does cruise control typically hurt MPG on Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by WX4GPS, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota Engineers:

What cruise control needs is an "Eco Mode" that allows vehicle speed to decline up to 5 mph on inclines. :)

Toyota Marketing Department:
    "The world's first cruise control with eco mode."

:)

minkus and Teacake like this.
  2. pualshu

pualshu Junior Member

Why would you need radar? Wouldn't an inclinometer be simpler and cheaper?

3. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I am curious. Wouldn't the car behind you be extremely pissed if you slow down on inclines? They would have to disengage their own cruise control. And if they chose to pass you, they wouldn't be able to once you suddenly begin to accelerate on downhills.

It's probably already irritating in local traffic, but most people expect speed changes there.

An empty highway is a different story.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're in the right lane, you have to expect speed changes with ramps, trucks and whatnot. cruise with radar would be perfect.

5. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    To be most effective, it would be useful for the car to be aware it was approaching a crest before it actually reaches the crest, so it can ease off the throttle before the top of the hill (and, ideally, be allowed to lose a little speed over the crest, picking it back up again on the other side).

6. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't use the cruise control on hills.

7. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Not really. Cruise control works fine on the right lane in light traffic conditions. Ramps and trucks require lane changes, not disengaging cruise control. You would accelerate to change lane and then fall back to cruise control. Changing speed to save gas makes matching speed with traffic flow far more difficult. It's also dangerous since most people would not expect sudden speed changes for no apparent reason, especially when the brake lights are not activated.

Cruising at the speed limit, while still irritating to other drivers, is a safer way to save on gas IMHO.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trying to drive in the right lane and switching lanes everytime you approach on/off ramps or slower vehicles sounds more dangerous to me.

9. Larry Greenwald

Larry Greenwald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In San Diego, on the I-15, there are five (5) lanes available for a long distance in each direction. I prefer to be in the #4 lane (counting from left to right) as I keep under the posted speed limit but also having to avoid the hassle of dealing with traffic coming on and off the freeway. I set the cruise control and leave it (Ron Popeil type operation: "Set it and forget it.") and I do fine with mileage.

ztanos likes this.
  10. Ford C-MAX already does something like that, it's called "Eco Cruise."

11. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

We have enough hills in western NC and I don't appear to get worse mpg when I'm on cruise. I get 46 to 48 mpg nearly always, cruise or not but then I have no interst in maximixing mpg. I always go as fast as I casn and that could be te difference.

12. pualshu

pualshu Junior Member

Ah, ok.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....and engage their cruise missles

But I guess if they can make auto cruise control slow down when someone is in front, I guess it could also look backwards and hold speed if necessary

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't own a car without CC. With cruise, I don't have to worry about the cops. :D

15. Ubu the Tech Guru

Ubu the Tech Guru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i too have wondered this since I have a 71 mile trip to work, the interstate is mostly level but there are areas with some hills. when I get to the hills I normally switch off CC and maintain a constant throttle position versus constant speed.

On a side note I tried engaging CC when I was going 35 in auto EV mode and it didn't work, LOL. it turned the ICE on

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    CC will keep it in EV mode as long as you are on a flat or downhill... it won't if it needs throttle that is past the ECO line.

Fahfoofnik likes this.
  17. BreakingPrius

BreakingPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Just in general, you are better off not using CC as far as gas mileage AND wear and tear. I know most break in periods (5kish miles) say not use it. It controls through constant braking and acceleration, it can gage the driving conditions like you can. I'd avoid using it unless you just feel like you absolutely need to.

18. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    With a CVT, CC is ok as the CVT keeps the engine at different speeds even when going the same MPH.

minkus likes this.
  19. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's why I was confused about why the manual recommended not driving at a constant speed for too long for the first 1,000 miles or something. Unless that has to do with something other than the engine.

20. Bill Carlisle

Bill Carlisle New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The real question is: How much money does one save by using CC? And that answer depends on how many cops are patrolling the routes you take and the costs of a citation.

I drive my Prius to the workout club every morning around 5 am when the cops are waiting in prey, put the CC at 42 mph, and have not had a ticket in the last 10 years. More that offsets whatever increase in gas consumption it might cost.

CC is a Godsend and a necessary requirement for urban driving.