1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does driving a prius or hybrid absolve you of the sins of driving through a drive-thru?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by burritos, Aug 16, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    mcdonalds or a bank?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

No. Apparently it is not enough to own an environmentally-friendly vehicle. You're not supposed to drive it. You're not supposed to ride with anyone else either. You're even not supposed to buy food from people who used vehicles to transport it to you. You're certainly not supposed to go to a bank - they use armored vehicles, which almost certainly use gas. Or some other type of fuel which probably if you looked into it deeply enough you could prove is hypocritical if you did any business with them.

Sorry, it's been a long day.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Zerkster

Zerkster New Member

Really if you think about it and then contemplate the amount of gasoline they GUZZLE with the use of armor cars ... really do you ever see an armored car they just sit there with the motor running and the A/C just shimmering away smog’ing up our environment and leaving a wake of destruction where ever they go....

if you really want to be associated with all that and the end of the world.... as we know it.. seriously go for it!

... before you start pointing fingers I get out of my car and walk up hehe both the bank and any restaurant.

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 16 2006, 09:06 PM) [snapback]304374[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Burritos,

If its cool enough to not run the AC, then the engine will turn off while you are in the drive-thru line, and using the electric low-speed to move around from the order pylon to the pay and pickup window(s), you would use less gas than if you parked the car. When you park the car, it resets the warm-up cycle. After you restart the car, it will run the engine so that it gets about 25 mpg for the first 5 minutes. When you go through the drive-up without turning off the car, the car acts like it was in a traffic jam and/or long stop light, and will run at a high mileage after this.

This is backwards from a regular gasoline car.

In my commute home, I find the car gets fidgety if the temp is above 85 F if I do not use the AC, which I attribute to the battery getting warm towards the end of the trip. So, above 85 I run the AC (at about 81 F) to keep the battery cool, and the car runs normally through the whole trip.

Now, I do not know how hot it has to be for the warm-up cycle to use more gas, than it takes to charge the battery by the amount of energy the AC would use while you are in the drive-thru lane. Probably pretty hot. And this would also depend if you can park the car in the shade or not, or if the drive-thru lane is shaded.

6. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought because I was driving my Prius through the McDonald's drive thru, that all fat and calories were negated... ;)

On a side note, there is a message on the ATM at my bank. People apparently complain about getting $50 bills in their transactions so the sign tells them to do a $49 transaction to avoid the $50 bill. It also says "Need $100? Do 2 $49 transactions".....hmmm does that add up right? I want to do that and then go inside and ask the teller where my other two dollars are as the sign says I can get $100 for 2 $49 transactions. :lol:

7. Autosmiler

Autosmiler New Member

Ever been to Sonic's? (For those of you who haven't, you go and park where there are machines to order from. Then someone brings you your meal and you can eat in the car)

I went once in someone else's car and we sat there idling with the A/C on for ages! I kept thinking "I can't imagine how much gas we're wasting in this car" [*SMUG ALERT*]. Another time after that I went alone in my car with windows down and full battery. I didn't feel bad at all. :) So the only sin that time was gluttony.

8. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only at White Castle!

9. marjam

marjam Member

Oh course! Driving a Prius absolves you of all sin! But you still get fat :mellow:

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sometimes I drive up to the bank, get some money to drive up to the McDonald's, then I sit in the parking lot with the A/C on, counting my money whilst eating my Big Mac, made from beef, and fries, cooked in fat, while sucking down a Coke from a plastic straw.

When I am done counting the money, I throw out the paper envelope the cash came in, with the rest of my MacDonald's trash, right there on the ground, since I am driving a Prius, and therefore am absolved from all sins.

yup.

;)

11. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Aug 17 2006, 12:54 AM) [snapback]304534[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the refreshing post. I was telling a friend the other day about the post where the Prius owner who is a veggie thought everyone should complain to Toyota about their option 8 which includes leather seats. She felt leather didn't belong in a *green* car. One of the next posters wondered what being a veggie had to do with *green* and/or driving a Prius.

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even a zero emission vehicle still generates fine particulate matter (pm 2.5 micrometers) just by rolling. Park the car and walk - help yourself by reducing obesity and minimizing congestion. As Prius owners we brag that the ICE only runs when it needs to, not all the time whether we need it or not. So park the Prius and make ensure everything is off. Drive-throughs are a major waste of energy.

Many employees of franchises that have drive-throughs tell me 80% of their business is derived from drive-through traffic! Even in a pure electric vehicle, the battery charge comes from an ICE, the sun or the grid. Park the vehicle and turn it off!

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    McDonalds?? Ewwwww.

I have a funny drive through story to share. It's ok, it's clean. :)

My wife and I were shopping for shelving materials, and, gee, the 6'6" standards didn't fit without putting the front seat down. So, she's in the back seat behind me and decides she wants to visit Tim Horton's on the way home. I pulled up to the delivery window, a little too far forward, so she could get her order in the back seat like she was in a limousine. The staff thought it was hilarious, and we laughed all the way home.

The day we picked up an 8' concrete forming tube with 3 of us was even more interesting. Does anyone else think the 60/40 split rear seat splits the wrong way? We put the front seat down again as I pondered the ramifications of leaving either my daughter or my wife at the store and coming back to pick her up. Meanwhile, my daughter wriggled herself into the front seat, lying down under the cardboard tube, and off we went. No problem. :blink:

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Queen hereby(e?) and heretofore and hereafter...absolves you of all sins...except for "thru."

We have so decreed. :D

15. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 17 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]304834[/snapback]</div>
    Rufaro, I think you might need to bump up the Prolixin for a few days...or maybe a nice rest in a quiet place......

16. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Aug 17 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]304883[/snapback]</div>
    <div align="center"> [​IMG] </div>

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Aug 17 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]304778[/snapback]</div>
    And thus, a great reason for parking the car and going inside. Often it's quicker. ;)

For most Americans, it would also be considered aerobic exercise. :lol:

And for the environment . . . your Prius may not be polluting while sitting in line, but all the other cars behind you are forced to wait that much longer . . . and you are not absolved of being the reason they had to idle until you got your fat butt out of the way. :p

18. harper42

harper42 Member

[My wife and I were shopping for shelving materials, and, gee, the 6'6" standards didn't fit without putting the front seat down.

I haven't tried it yet.... Just wondering, how do you get the front seat to go down flat?

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For myself I do running laps around the fast food place while my car goes through the line. OK course I just get the salad, and water! I am in EV mode the entire time and I fill myself on the good vibes of being a proximate environmental consumer. On my way out I make a donation of twice the value of the meal to the local farm workers union and the save the whales coalition. I bask in the correctness of my interaction with the military-industeral establishment as a cruse at 65 mpg back to my nonprofit organization job.

20. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Aug 17 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]304959[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm...doesn't this question perhaps belong in FHOP? :rolleyes: