1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Dynamat affect Smart Key operation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by racerbob, May 27, 2008.

1. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To all of you who have installed inner and outer panel front door Dynamat (with the aluminum foil layer), has it ever kept the Smart Key system from working properly? I am about to take the plunge with new speakers and Dynamat Xtreme and don't want to have any problems with the receivers in the front doors not being able to recognize the transmitter in my pocket. It is an 08 Pkg 6.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have 80sf of Damplifier in mine, all over the place (even the roof). No problem with the SKS whatsoever.

3. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As long as it blocks the alien mind-control rays.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I put RAAMat (similar product with a heavy foil outer layer) all over the inside of the outside door skin and another layer under the inner plastic cover on my 2005 and have experienced no problems with SKS.

5. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    KayakerNC, I'll make you a hat if I have any left over. At least the mind control rays will arrive in high fidelity! Thanks for the assurance everyone. I knew that you can wrap a Smart Key in aluminum foil and the receiver won't see it in the car. I guess there are enough other paths for radio waves through the uncovered (no Dynamat) areas of the vehicle. I only bought enough to do all 4 doors (inner and outer panels)

6. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bill, I just noticed your cars names. I should call mine Silver Ghost since I am an early Rolls Royce fan. Don't care much for the modern ones, but the older Ghosts were gorgeous works of art.

Bob C.