1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does engine have to be dropped in order to access head gasket?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PollyDaPrius, Aug 3, 2017.

1. PollyDaPrius

PollyDaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trying to repair the head gasket. Car has 240,000 mi. There is thick stinky white smoke coming out of exhaust. No money to buy a new engine at this time. Want to lay eyes on the head itself to see if warped or requires new gasket install. Wondering if the engine must be dropped in order to disassemble timing chain, to access the cylinder block. Unable to remove cylinder head with timing chain attached. Want to take the camshaft engine cover off, on the left side of the engine without dropping the engine. I have supported the engine with a trolley jack and unbolted the engine mount next to the serpentine belt and idler pulley. Came to an obstacle I haver never seen before. There is a washer and small round bolt of sorts(photos attached). Does not allow for ratchet or any other known tool in mind to unhinge it. Seeking advice on how to disassemble the mount, anybody with experience in doing so very much appreciated. Further reasoning for inquiring about the engine mount, the idler pulley and the arm it sits on needs replacing as well. Going out of my way to fix this as its the only owned car in possession. Must be fixed! I believe it is do-able as for all I have is time on my hands to do so. It is necessary. IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0953.JPG

2. PollyDaPrius

PollyDaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The codes that came off the car are as follows:
    Toyota Codes; P3190, P0113, P0102, P3190
    OBD2; P3190, P0304, P0302, P300
    ABS; C1259, C1378, C1310, C1300

3. PollyDaPrius

PollyDaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Valde, exactly what I was looking for! Those two bolts on the underside of the mount were hidden, had no idea. Wound up clearing out that whole corner pocket under the hood, Now working on the camshaft wheel, heading out to get a damper puller. All the schematics I was coming across weren't anywhere near as in-depth as the ones you passed on. I did have coolant leaking out the water pump(on the engine) is that normal? Much Thanks!

4. PollyDaPrius

PollyDaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ended up stripping the bolt on the idler pulley a month ago. The belt had way too much give to it. The original belt was chewed up. The tensioner was froze on there somehow so the tension wouldn't adjust as well. Gave me a kinds of hell, till now.

5. PollyDaPrius

PollyDaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Had coolant in the throttle body too, change the coolant/water control valve. No longer collecting fluid in the throttle body. The valve was stuck in a half on half, off position.