1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does EV Auto utilize brake charging?

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Refurbmike, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Refurbmike

Refurbmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I haven't found this exact question answered, but does EV Auto take advantage of brake charging? I know it can run in hybrid mode, but it seems like the language is worded that only pure hybrid mode utilizes brake charging.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you mean regenerative braking? Regenerative braking occurs when you lift off the accelerator or when you press the brake pedal (up to a certain point, then the brake pads take over if more braking power is required).

Regenerative braking is independent of EV/HV/EV Auto and independent of Eco/Normal/PWR modes. It's dependent on your driving and how hard you brake.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you quote the wording, or post a pic?

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As long as it's not in neutral, it'll regenerate as you brake. That's assuming that you aren't slamming on the brakes in a panic stop. Then it just won't have time to regenerate enough to amount to anything.