1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does fuel additives in every fill up harm the engine?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bonanzoo, Sep 3, 2020.

1. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have been using Lucas fuel treatments for the past 10 fill ups. 3oz per fill up. Sometimes I poured in the treatment before I went to the gas station on a near empty tank. Do you think I caused unnecessary buildup on the spark plugs? I noticed today while accelerating, there was a slight lag. I just finished the bottle on my last fill up so no more additives but I’m wondering if I should check on my spark plugs or possible change them or if you think I’ll be fine.

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Every fill up?
    That may be "over kill".

It is possible the additives placed a varnish on the plugs.
    Only way to know is to inspect a spark plug.

You could first do a few full throttle acceleration tests as an "Italian Tune Up" to see if the miss fire disappears.

FWIW I usually use Techron, a full bottle to an empty tank, then re-fill the fuel tank and drive aggressively until the fuel tank is emptied, then refill and change the engine oil and filter.

Good luck let us know what you find.

bonanzoo likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No.

Usually one of the good things about all of the automotive snake-oils and herbal treatments don't really 'harm' anything but your wallet.
    As far as your spark plugs go, YOU checking them won't hurt either but they probably do not have to be changed outside of the normal maintenance periodicity.
    Paying somebody to "check the plugs" is the same thing as paying somebody to change the plugs - minus the cost of the plugs.

Me?
    I'd stay out of the potions and lotions aisle for a little while.

Kilmer cracks me up.
    He's got some fairly goofy ideas about hybrids (an oscilloscope?! REALLY?! gimme a break!)
    BUT(!!) He's right about gas treatment.

FWIW It's not a bad idea to add a bottle of Techron to your tank semi-occasionally, and changing the oil afterwards but I personally stopped doing so a few decades ago and I haven't noticed a diff.

YMMV

jerrymildred and bonanzoo like this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Absolutely, positively no GOOD reason to put any "snake oil" additive into your gas or oil or coolant all the time. NONE.

A good injector cleaner like Techron maybe twice a year. That's it. Anything else is just a waste of money and as you are now suspecting, can sometimes do more harm than good.

But I doubt that is the cause of your present symptoms.
    If the plugs are still the originals, now probably would be a good time to change them.
    How many miles on the car ??

In some very specific situations......like maybe the system was just on the verge of shutting down the engine when you step on the gas, there will be a slight hesitation and that can't be "fixed". All 4 of my Prii have done that once in a great while.
    Wide painted strips on the pavement can cause it to feel like a "stumble" when the traction control kicks in too.

bonanzoo likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Can't remember if plugs are due at 100 or 120k. They're easy in the c, relatively speaking.

I would not expect a small amount of additive per fill-up to hurt anything.

Given the age of your car, I would immediately suspect any performance-related problem to be hybrid battery related. Have you taken any steps to investigate that angle?

bonanzoo likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just stop using it every fill up!!! It's a waste of time and money and there's no telling how much more polluted your exhaust is with additives. If you want to use this stuff one to 4 times a year that seems reasonable, but on every fill up, that's just the doings of a cray cray...

roadrunner and bonanzoo like this.
  7. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I changed the plugs at 100k and now I am at 150k. I also did Dr. Prius and came back at 80%. However, I don’t know how reliable these readings are.

8. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I think I had the same stumble you are speaking of. I have never had this issue before in my C but once in my Gen 3. I’m currently at 150k miles. I changed out the plugs at 100k.

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I don't know that app either. Battery fan clean? c doesn't need much for maintenance, but that one sometimes gets missed.

10. David9962000

David9962000 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Try to use Chevron as much as you can, it has Techron in it. And it works, it's proven. If you have a high mileage car put a bottle of additive in a full tank before an oil change.

11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That depends upon how far you live from a refinery.

In most places, the gas that is delivered to Chevron stations (or any other brand for that matter) does NOT come from a Chevron refinery.
    If it comes out of a pipeline, you don't know who makes it. Whether or not it actually has all of the Chevron additives depends on the truck driver or the station operator. Station owners have been known to bypass the sediment filters on the pumps so I don't trust them much.

I prefer to put in my own injector cleaner. That way I KNOW it is in there.

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I believe the culprit was fake Denso spark plugs. I purchased these spark plugs for only $18, total! I went to Toyota yesterday and picked up 4 of them for $56 dollars and you can tell the difference. The lag is GONE. The mileage is up 5mpg on average! To anyone, DO NOT buy spark plugs off eBay lol. I am so lucky the porcelain didn't shatter inside of the cylinder. The fake spark plugs said made on a continent, LMAO how did I not notice this. The real ones that I purchased said made in Japan. Here are the pics. Welp, no more fuel additives and no more fake spark plugs. I learned my lesson.

Attached Files:

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheap lesson!

Good Luck!

bonanzoo likes this.
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Nice work. I inadvertently bought a fake Champion plug from Amazon a couple of years back and that was my intro to this category of counterfeiting.

Since then I only buy plugs locally, no mail order. No trouble with the local inventory, just a little less convenient.

bonanzoo likes this.