1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does fuel injector cleaner affect Oil Analysis

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srivenkat, Oct 24, 2012.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Folks,

I am planning to send the oil at 10K miles for Oil Analysis. But I would also like to use Redline SI or Regane Complete on the last tank before the oil change.

So my question is would Redline/Regane have an impact on Oil Analysis or does Oil Analysis has a way of "separating" things out.

Thanks.

2. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well if any fuel goes into the oil at 10k is a very bad news regardless of using fuel additives or not. Also what is your reason to do this on the last tank before oil change ?

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Fuel ALWAYS gets into the oil. No seal is perfect. This has been studied and proven over and over on the Bob is the Oil Guy forum.

A normal fuel analysis always shows some fuel. I imagine a Prius would have more, because the engine cycles on and off, so the oil does not get hot enough to burn off the fuel, through the PVC system.

It is recommended to do it right before an oil change for this very reason. Purge the additive from the crank case where is does not belong.

4. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    According to what I read on BITOG, the answer is yes. The only additive found not to alter the UOA results, is the Chevron Techron in a bottle.

5. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OOPS I was wrong just checked my own UOA ...

5,000 .2%
    20,000 .5%
    30,000 .8%

so fuel goes in ..... can you (anyone) tell what is some, or normal, or "not a problem" level ??

Never used or even considered additives. Most major or all ??? gasoline has those ...

Jonny Zero likes this.
  6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Some will tell you the stuff the gas company put in is diluted and inconsistent. They rely on the truck driver to push the right button to get the right stuff dumped into the tanker truck, so it might be a hit and miss, so use your own for insurance.

That said, I use a bottle of Gumout Regane in the tank before most oil changes with my Camry. 160K miles, never made a difference, or had any fuel system issue. Not sure if I will do it to the Prius. But $6 every 10K is CHEAP insurance.

7. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Speaking of Gumout Regane Complete, I have used it in my Prius as well as my Camry Hybrid and one thing I noticed vis-a-vis Redline SI is that I don't feel/see any difference with the Redline whereas the engines purr when I use Regane. I am curious what is it in Regane that causes this difference.

Are there any reasons we should approach the Prius cautiously?

8. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I happened to miscommunicate in my original post. My Prius is at 45K currently and I meant to refer to the 10K OCI.

9. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Well, I also wrote to Blackstone and here's what I got back [edited for brevity/privacy]:

xs650 likes this.
  10. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Part of me thinks the SULEV has very sensitive CATs and sensors could easily be damaged with the wrong stuff in the fuel. The other part of me thinks it will be a-OK.

Go figure.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is actually incorrect. There is an old chevron study on techron that shows that oil viscosity is altered after using techron. The cleaners OP mentioned also contain techron.

This is exactly why it's recommended to do it just before an oil change.