1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does getting a fuel efficient Prius make you drive more?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kgall, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The question here for some is just what has changed for you versus before. For me - Not much. I am about a little over 1100 miles and I got mine in Jan 28th. Different strokes for different folks. And by change I don't mean in car, just in overall routine.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I don't drive any more or less and I used to excepting the fact that when taking longer trips (anything over 40miles one way) we take my Prius rather than my girlfriend's Rav4. So technically I drive the Prius more often because of it's higher efficiency but we would have driven something less efficient in its place.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can't drive less and do my job, but I can drive smarter, and so.

4. Guy in WNY

Guy in WNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, we drive the Prius MORE than the Saturn.

When both cars are home and we have to go someplace, the Prius is the prefered car. Not only is it newer than the 2002 SL2, but it's more fun to drive and rides better.
    FE is just a side benefit.

5. RichardAK

RichardAK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That's a good way of describing our use of the Prius. Given a choice, the more economical vehicle usually gets used. (Though once the roads clear of ice and snow, the motorcycle usually gets more use:thumb:)

6. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :eek:

For me I used to average about 600 to 700 miles a month with my old Baja, using the fiancé car (a Yaris) for lots of our local trips and some of the weekend road trips.

Now with the Prius I am on target for 1k miles for March. My Prius replaced their Yaris for our local driving. Some of it is the new car syndrome, other part is that at $4 a gallon for 300 miles between the two cars we save $13.

The first weekend in April will be the real reason that I went with the Prius. Easter weekend we head off to Lancaster PA for couple nights with the relatives. Then later that week we head to the beach for us time. The Baja would have been the choice for comfort, but the Prius will save half the gas!

7. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, because I actually looked at the threads which came up when I typed that title in, and that thread was NOT listed.
    I have to admit I was a bit surprised that no threads on this general topic came up, because it's my intuitive belief that whenever "savings" arise in any way, they will be split between doing more of the activity and pocketing some of the savings--in this case, that means folks like frodoz will drive a bit more because they can, and still put a lot in their pockets.
    (A parallel phenomenon happens with safety--as driving at high speeds becomes safer, people will do something slightly riskier by driving a bit fast4er, but overall, safety improves, because they don't drive that much faster--there's some evidence for this as well, I hear.)