1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does hill-start work on the Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by prius4-me, Feb 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. prius4-me

prius4-me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On my previous Gen 3, pushing the brake pedal far enough to the floor locked the brakes for 1-2 seconds and the traction icon displayed. On my Prime, I can push the brake pedal all the way to the floor and hill-start never activates. What am I missing? Is this a malfunction? Thanks.

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The hill-start assist on the Gen 4 Prius (not Prime) is automatic, no more deep depressing of the brake pedal as was on the Gen 3. I am going to assume it is similar for the Prime, as well. Check your owner's manual...

On page 406 of the 2017 Prius (not Prime) owner's manual:

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 12.34.28 PM.png

FuelMiser and Dudley1030 like this.
  3. prius4-me

prius4-me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If it is automatic, doesn't that mean almost every time the brake pedal is released while the car is stopped, it takes 2 seconds for the brakes to release? Seems like my Prime releases the brakes immediately. It would be a 'drag' to wait 2 seconds every time the brakes are released. And I also noticed the Hill-start icon never lights up on the dash even though it is documented in the manual.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm guessing there's a sensor determining degree of incline that activates the system. If you're on relatively level ground it doesn't come into play. In any case, if the system kicks in, there's absolutely no reason to wait the 2 seconds - Just hit the gas pedal. The icon doesn't light up on the Gen 4 like it did on the Gen 3 (and it's not a "Hill-Start" icon.)

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The post above yours, third to last bullet says depressing the accelerator cancels the assist.
    I think it would be nice if it worked on downhill inclines too, but it is uphill only in my Gen 4.

6. prius4-me

prius4-me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'll have to find a hill with no traffic to experiment with this. Sounds like another nice feature and that my Prime must be doing what it should. I was thinking it must be a malfunction. Thanks for the clarifications!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately, all your responses have been from Gen 4 users, not Prime. Your user manual should confirm, though.

8. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    living in the foothills, i can vouch it works as post #2 states. also had a 2014 kia soul; it had hill start and worked the same way.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Put the energy flow display up and then come to a stop on a hill. For a couple of seconds, the car remains stationary. Then 'the creep' comes on and you can see the energy flow. The hill hold mode is a brake action and uses no appreciable energy.

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace likes this.