1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

does it affect mpg if you lowered the prius c?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by ranz, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ranz

ranz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    does it affect mpg if you lowered the prius c's suspension.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You likely wouldn't notice a difference unless you regularly drive at high speeds. I've not seen the underside of the c but if it is like the Liftback then lowering it won't hurt but I wouldn't expect it to help too much either.

3. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    mine is pretty low.. and i haven't noticed a significant difference in my mileage.

4. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I dont think the car can get much lower. I hit the rubber thing on a lot of things thank god its there

5. DamonBoost

DamonBoost New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have you lowered yours?

6. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If anything it would improve the aerodynamics and handling. I doubt that you will notice a difference, but in theory on paper it should actually improve slightly. Does anyone know of any kits available to the public yet other than the super expensive cusco coilovers? This car's stance is way too high and it needs to be lowered - I HATE the ugly wheel gap.

7. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    significantly. i'm on Tanabe coilovers.

yes.. i scrape a lot.. even being careful... it still does for really bad driveways and speed bumps... :censored:

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You were the first in the U.S. to turn a c into a scraper. You made the Yea Area proud! ;)

9. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have you posted your Tanaba coilover install, data, or review anywhere? I don't see anything on this forum. I'd like to see some stroke, spring rate, and travel ratio information, if available.

I've had my KW V3's for a few weeks [and curiously literally nobody has commented on them in my thread], I can comment on ride height affecting FE. I took a roadtrip to Chicago when the car was stock, and then this week I did an almost identical trip to Chicago with the car lowered 1 1/8". Both trips I simply kept the cruise at the speed limit, however I can't account for any FE delta due to powertrain break-in. Nevertheless, there's one data point for each trip that's reasonably comparable. I fueled up in mid-MI en route, and then fueled up in eastern MI on the return, so taking the 2nd fuel up calculation is 100% roadtrip for both trips. They look like this:

Stock: 453.7 miles, 8.33 gallons, 54.5 MPG calculated
    Lowered: 450.1 miles, 8.07 gallons, 55.8 MPG calculated

This isn't full blown empirical data, but IMO it's a reasonable comparison, considering similar weather, almost identical routes, same wheels/tires/pressures, and virtually identical driving styles [mostly cruise]. This kind of delta is comparable to past cars I've lowered. My Golf TDI picked up approximately 3% highway fuel economy, all else equal, after I lowered it 1.4".

Cheers,
    Ryan

10. DamonBoost

DamonBoost New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Any pictures of it? I'd like to see it lowered...

11. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    He posted a link to the Tanabe R&D page - you can also google Tanabe Prius C Lowering and see what they have. This is on the Tanabe page with pictures of the install. They have install pictures but no technical information that I think is what you are looking for, but if you call Tanabe USA they do have that information.
    Tanabe USA R&D Blog | Toyota Prius C

12. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link. I saw their blog post a while back; I'm always disappointed when automotive aftermarket upholds their reputation for lack of disclosure. Their "max" & "min" pictures seem to center the ride height around a rational region, however with any luck SquallLHeart will comment further regarding where he/they left them setup at, and how they perform in general.

13. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    apologies for the um.. really late response... been out and busy and haven't been on the forums for awhile.

they left my car with the coilovers on, at what looks at, their lowest setting. it performs well during high speed turns.. and with how i conserve my momentum for hypermiling reasons... it barely has any roll especially with the added stiffening and the front sway bar added on.

it's great... the only thing is yea... i scrape a bit here and there.