1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does it come with day time running lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hptsang, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Heymull

Heymull Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just picked up my new 2010 Prius III last night and today I went looking for a way to turn on the DRL. The owner's manual does not mention it, and according to this web site, I can't enable DRL because it is *not available in the US*. I will probably not turn on my headlights all the time, as I did in my 1998 Sienna (which lacked DRL). I like the added visibility, but I'd rather use DRL because they don't use as much power.

:usa2: I believe Toyota should have installed DRL in the 2010 Prius, and allowed owners the option of switching it off.

2. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was in the states in April. Honestly, driving towards other cars, they looked to be parked since they have no DRL. Then as you get closer you realize they are actually driving like that. Ofcourse I'm use to DRL's in Canada, which were put into law in 1991, so it's just what I'm use to.

I've noticed before on Subaru.com that they actually mention DRL as a saftey feature on their cars, ofcourse on Subaru.ca there is no mention at all of DRL's.

3. Yaumeister

Yaumeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With a rather large lower grill gap, I would imagine there may be an option to install aftermarket DRLs there, alternatively where the fog lamps would go (if not already installed on your vehicle).

4. Hfxbouy

Hfxbouy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Seems when I leave the lights on lock the car and leave, they go off after a while. So maybe leave them on all the time and by default = DRLs?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be the "follow-me-home function".

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, if you really want DRL's in the US you can buy a module that will allow you to enable that function. You can use other lamps besides the headlamp. Some are actually more noticeable in daylight than DRL headlamps (I'm thinking of the yellow turn signal lamps the Dodge mini-van, among others, uses in Canada as DRLs). Note that DRLs don't illuminate taillamps, only one lamp on each side of the front of the car.

Use google and search for "DRL Module".

Oh, and the H4 bulbs in all my cars were the stock ones. I kept my cars between 7 and 11 years with no headlamp burnout.

Further, if you really want to disable DRLs (approaching an astronomy party, for example), just slightly engage the parking brake. It disables the DRLs. Note however, in the Canadian Prius, if you start the car with the parking brake on, the DRLs don't come on until you release it. If you then engage the parking brake the lights don't go out. So you'd have to turn the car off, slightly engage the parking brake (to trip the switch), then start the car and put it in "D" or "R" to move without DRLs. Probably good for the brakes as it will clean the rear drums/disks. ;)