1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does May 05 Prius still have faulty MFD (Multi Function Display)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Wandering Elf, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Wandering Elf

Wandering Elf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi from Perth, Western Australia

I'm considering buying a May05 Prius and was wondering if the
    car will still have the older faulty Multi-Function -Display (MFD) unit,
    or had the problem been fixed by May 05?

cheers,
    Dean

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dean,

I can't speak to when the MFD problems were "fixed" as far as on the assembly line, but I have a May 2005 production date also (USA model) & have had NO problems whatsoever regarding the MFD (or anything else for that matter). I hope this makes you feel a little more secure in your selection. I'm not guaranteeing it , but it should be O.K.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

3. Wandering Elf

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Ken,
    That does makes me feel better about the MFD. I also found this on PriusChat from the thread:
    'MFD issues on '04/'05 Prius'

"What I meant with the INFO button (which all 2nd gen Prii have) is whether by pushing the one on the steering wheel if the MFD cycled b/w the Consumption and Energy screen. On the old (faulty) MFD pushing the INFO button did not cycle b/w the two (it just returned you to either the Energy or Consumption screen if you were on something else (like MAP). The new and improved MFD will cycle b/w the two each time you push the INFO button."

Even E. Fusco MD. posted sep 17, 2007

So I might try this test, though not too sure what exactly the "INFO" button looks like.

cheers,
    Dean

4. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi again, Dean,

The "Info" button "(which all 2nd gen Prii have)" that E. Fusco is talking about is on the dash trim surrounding the MFD. On the nav equipped cars there are either 5 or 6 of these push buttons surrounding the MFD screen, but mine is a pkg 4 (AM) that doesn't have nav, so I only have 4 push buttons around my screen. Pushing THAT "Info" button only lets me choose between "Trip Info", "Language" (English & French), & "Screen Settings" (color, etc).

Without the nav (& its extra push buttons around the MFD) it's likely that you don't have a fourth section of buttons on the steering wheel either. On mine I only have 3 sections of buttons : on the top (audio vol & mode) & bottom (A/C & temp settings) left of the steering wheel center & only the bottom (defrost & recirc) right side of the steering wheel center. The top right section is empty & that's likely where the other "Info" button is (for nav functions?) that E. Fusco is talking about.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

5. Wandering Elf

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again Ken, that will save me hunting around for something that doesn't exist, as this Prius
    is standard not 'itech', which I think were the only two options in Australia.

This Prius also has front head light and tail light not working (on same side),
    broken windscreen washer bottle cap, badly squealing brakes and a bad suspension
    rattle, i think it hasn't been maintained properly, so wondering whether to buy it,
    oh and I though I noticed the MFD go blank for a few seconds. Going to test-drive
    again before deciding and check the touch-screen functions. Maybe it just needs some
    Love.

Its done 187,000km (116,202 Miles?)

cheers,
    Dean

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd plug that sucker into an OBD2 reader, preferably a Toyota dealers, body parts are one thing, electronics and motor parts are another.

7. Wandering Elf

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea Ursle,
    but its not too close to any Toyota dealer. Anyway I took it for another test run to check out
    the cruise control, and it seemed to run ok on the open road, so I bought it for reduced price.
    Hoping to be able to fix some of the issues myself.
    My first Prius (very excited)

cheers,
    Dean