1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does new battery installed justify buying high mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hunter9002, Feb 8, 2017.

1. hunter9002

hunter9002 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi guys,

New member here. Looking at buying a 2011 prius 5 with 180k from a private owner. Normally I'd say it's too high mileage, but the owner just installed a new hybrid battery and claims it should last another 100k. List price is $9k but I think I can talk him down.

Assuming the other carfax check out, do you guys think the new hybrid battery will give it the extra life he is claiming?

And should I expect to do a ton of maintenance to keep it going despite the new battery? I'm not a tinkerer and don't generally enjoy working on my car.

Thanks!

#1 hunter9002, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In theory, yeah cause it's basically a new car (well depending on the condition of the interior and the engine).

Ask the owner where they got the battery. If it's a new battery, then yes it'll last you a long time. If it's a salvage, then it's a crapshoot as to its lifetime. There are also refurbished ones which could be just as good as new.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2011 with a new battery, I would ask for a receipt. Not that many have failed in 6 years

Tande likes this.
  4. Deogratias

Deogratias Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So many posts here lately about oil burning after 100k miles... and sometimes, in significant quantities. A new battery doesn't make it a new car, especially if previous owners didn't keep the oil topped up.

5. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it's really a NEW traction battery and the car has been properly maintained, I wouldn't be a bit discouraged by the 180k miles. But $9k seems just a bit high though.

Overnight Prius Addict
    2009 Prius 4 Black
    2012 Prius 4 Blizzard Pearl
    2013 Prius 4 Black

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be very careful about the "NEW" battery.

You will want to confirm the info with the receipt.

First, if it is from a rebuilder, then it may be with new or used cells. You don't really know without seeing the paperwork.

Even if it is from Toyota, it may not be new cells. Much more likely, but not a guarantee. You could check the dealer service records.

You need to be very firm about this.

The type of pack it was replaced with makes a HUGE difference as far as longevity and reliability.

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm also worried about a 10 year battery pooping out in 6 years.

kc5dlo likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

what would it be worth if it ran well, but was the original battery? i would take that price, and add 1500 bucks. and only of it's a brand spanking new battery from a toyota dealer.

also, in california, there are two different toyota battery options: all new, and/or, new cells in an old case with old electronics.

9. hunter9002

hunter9002 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's actually a great point. What does that mean for the car? Is it because the owner got a lemon, or is he just poor at maintaining it? In either case I feel like I'll be inheriting something that isn't going to hold up.

To answer some of other questions, the title is clean and he said the battery was replaced by the dealer. Not sure if it is all new or new cells in an old case.

I think I'm going to pass regardless. Thanks everyone for your help, seems like a very knowledgeable and friendly community!!

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hunter, I agree with you. If you can't get a straight answer to a pointed question it is time to walk away.

How many of us "maintain" the traction battery? My guess is "very few". How many "maintain" the 12v battery? My guess is "more than a very few" but not enough to get out of the category.

Hunter, to answer your question, yes, I would expect a brand new Toyota battery installed by a dealer to last as long as the one put in at the factory.

11. Fleabiscuit

Fleabiscuit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I don't believe that it is worth anything near $9000.

If you can save more money, you can buy 2012+ (newer bumper/ lights) with 30-60k miles for under 15k.

12. 2010pri

2010pri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At $9000 dollars your buying the battery that went out on him.About $ 7500 he is buying the battery that went out on him.

kc5dlo likes this.