1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Prius Burn Oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusSport, Jun 12, 2008.

1. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The on board computer on some cars, Porsche, for example, has an oil level readout. Similar to the battery charge level indicator on the Prius.

2. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 1987 BMW 325i lights a dashboard indicator when the oil level is low. There is a good bit of hysteresis in it too, so you need to add about half a quart to turn it off. I saw it when the car was very new, and the initial oil fill (of breakin oil--remember that?) was quite low, so that when the car went up a very steep hill the lamp lit.

As that engine had very low oil consumption when new, I did not see the light again for many years. Now at 200,000 miles I think it burns a quart in about 4,000 miles--at least ten times its rate when young, probably much more.

So all you folks mentioning negligible oil consumption on 10-20,000 mile Prius models might not want to get completely out of the habit of checking. Trust me, the consumption will go up with age. Piston rings and walls do wear, even when made in Japan or Germany by elves.

uart likes this.
  3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When driving in urban areas and shorter journeys oil consumption can seem low because of higher levels of fuel contamination of the oil due to a higher percentage running on cold start enrichment and low engine temperatures.

If a car is driven in urban areas for say 8000 kilometres and you check the oil it may be that the oil level hasn't dropped noticeably from when it was changed. Now take the car on a highway journey and at the first fuel stop after 700 or so kilometres check the oil and you will likely find you need to add between 0.5 to 1.0 litres of oil. This isn't because your engine is suddenly buggered, but because the fuel in the oil evaporates off and is consumed through the PCV system in the engine thus lowering the oil level.
    Your car once topped up will not likely burn a noticeable amount of oil before it is due for the 10,000km oil change in 1300km because the volatile contaminants have already evaporated off.

Your engine didn't use 0.5 to 1.0 litres of oil over 700km but used that oil over 10,000km.
    I hope that makes sense.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking clean and being clean are two different things. Among other things the oil is gradually being replaced by water and/or fuel. This is bad.

5. LenS

LenS New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oil change 5k miles or every 6 months what ever comes first. Me thinks that is a VERY GOOD service interval.

Oil consumption is hard to measure. Fuel dilution can "make" oil. Also consumption is very sensitive to driving style. A 4 cylinder engine that runs only part time historically has a warm up issue and can also have water in the oil if many short trips in cold weather are made w/o any good toasty x-way trips to "burn" off the fuel dilution or water contamination.

VVT and such: In many engines today motor oil is also used a hydraulic fluid and hydraulic fluid should be kept very clean. You don't want to gum up the works.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As already posted, all engines burn some of the lubrication oil. There is a very thin film on the cylinder walls (left there by the oil rings, which only clean off to an engineered amount). It is there to lubricate the compression rings. It is burned by the "fires of combustion".
    Now, some will claim the oil level doesn't drop over xx,xxx miles/kilometers. Well, if the level doesn't drop it's because the oil is accumulating unburned fuel, as Pat discussed (not water - will cloud the oil and will be obvious if it gets in). Fuel in the oil will lower its' lubrication ability.

Change the oil at the recommended interval and check the oil level at least every few weeks. Oil wears out, and unless you are sending in samples for testing you will not be able to predict when it simply isn't "good enough" any more.

7. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am searching for a prius and have found a one owner prius with 320K miles. Owner is very honest in saying that it burns 1/2 quart every 2500 miles. Should that be concerning?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, in fact that level of oil consumption is quite low considering the odometer reading.

9. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...if they are being honest. 1/2 quart every 2500 for a Prius with 320,000 miles is probably nothing short of miraculous. We have members with cars with 1/4 the mileage burning that much oil.

Just out of curiosity, why are you considering such a high mile Prius?

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hehe, burning oil... How cute.
    Leaf, any Tesla and the Rav4 EV burn no oil ;)

11. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My previous 2008 dodge ram taught
    Me that load on engine changes oil consumption. It would use no oil over 6k mile oil changes. Summer would come and towing my 11k lb toy hauler it would consume a quart every 800 miles. Big difference depending on load.

12. C Clay

C Clay Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its all I can afford! It would not be the first Toyota product I've owned with that kind of mileage. I owned a T100 with 318 on when I sold it.

13. Justin Glose

Justin Glose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of oil, does anyone use synthetic oil in their Prius and do you find you can go more than the recommended 5,000 miles before you change it?

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Many people on PC run to 10,000 miles on synthetic oil as that is the recommended interval in the UK/EU.

15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To answer your questions,
    Yes and yes!!!!

16. Justin Glose

Justin Glose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent! Does your filter last 10K, as well?

17. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes and yes.

I presently have Mobil 1 full synthetic Advance Fuel Economy 0w-20 as my current fill. Went about 7000 miles on my last oil change of Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 and sent it in for analysis... will post the results as soon as I get them!

If you search the board or go over to Bob is the oil guy forums, a lot of Prius owners go 10,000 miles + on a top shelf synthetic oil and still get great reports after they have the oil analyzed!

18. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, the filter will last 10,000 miles also.

19. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Last oil change (7000 miles) I used a regular Purolator Classic.

This oil change with the M1 AFE 0w-20 that I plan on running 10,000 miles, I used a Purolator PureOne.

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's a yes from me as well making three in a row.