1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Prius refuse to go into N above 42 mph?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RhythmDoctor, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since I've shifted into and out of B mode "on the fly", going into and out of N, and back to D is pretty easy.

Yes, hold the N for a couple of seconds to move out of a drive gear. No need to embarrass yourself at the car wash (it's happened in our Prius, too).

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have found that the car shifts into neutral easily at any speed, if, you are stopped, then you may have to hold it for a second or two. I often put the car into neutral upon steep descent when: the HV Bat is almost totally charged, I want to gain speed and I want to save gas and regeneration. On the next uphill slope I want to use some of that charge. Then start the whole cycle again. Glad to hear that the Prius can be positioned into Park and reverse with no ill effects, tho, I would not try it, except in an emergency. As for Sikes, I'll bet he doesn't belong to PC.:cheer2:

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think putting it in Park would not be intuitive. I wouldn't mind doing it in a Prius because I know it will go to Neutral. But do it in a regular automatic and it could be a quite painful (and expensive) tranny rebuild. Maybe they have lockouts to keep you from going into R or P at speed?

Now, am I missing something with all these 'N at speed' questions? When you glide, it acts as if it is in Neutral, no forward push and no drag (you can feel the 'release'), no electric motors ripping apart. I've done it at 65+ MPH down a hill on the interstate, gather the kinetic energy while you can :) . The engine is at idle I would guess.

4. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I regularly use neutral over 68 mph while coasting downhill, on my genIII and my altima hybrid. No problems yet