1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does running higher (40+ psi) really help MPG that much. Testing this weekend

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kneedraggin, Jan 8, 2011.

1. kneedraggin

kneedraggin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Spent all day doing errands and put a hefty 83 miles on the car and I can definitely tell you that with my tires now at 38f 36r, the car just seems to "feel" better. While my instincts would still have me believe that raising the psi up higher would yield better mileage I now know that this seems to be in the sweet spot for both ride quality and fuel economy. I'm in LA where the roads are terrible, so maybe this has something to do with it

2. GoMetricToday

GoMetricToday 42 is the answer to the ultimate question.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a 2010 Honda Insight and bumped my tyre pressure to 40 psi. and noticed that my mileage increased quite a bit. I will more than likely do the same in my 2010 Prius II after the first tank of gas is done. BTW I just got my Prius II today 01/10/2011. Newbie to Prius but not a hybrid newbie.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi k...d...

Well, you need to take a class in design of experiments. I that , you need to do the exact same trip with the test variable changed, for the results to be meaningful.

So, repeat this exercise, only with the south ward travel using the high PSI setting. And the northward trip with the low PSI.

In this specific test, one possible comfounding variable might be wind direction. Traveling north, you might have a head, or front quartering wind (the worse for air drag). Which would then result in the worse mileage you saw. As the air speed could easily be 70 mph on the northward trip, and 50 mph on the southward trip. Espcially in a coastal enviorment.

An early car reviewer did the same thing, either by mistake or design. He favored the VW Diesel, so he drove that from Detroit to Washington DC, in the late winter/early spring. And then drove the Prius from DC to Washinton. Not supprisingly, the DC to Washinton trip mileage was worse than the other way around. As that time of year, there are strong winds out of the NW, W, SW along that route.

Mercedes did the best testing. They drove a CDi along with a Lexus RX Hybrid along the same route at the same time. The CDi won by a few MPG fuel volume, but if judged on energy used the RX won.

4. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On my daily commute which is mostly in town running 40 psi all the way around makes close to a 3% improvement. I don't do enough hiway driving these days to post an observation.
    Good Luck

5. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

It helps. My 06 averaged 50mpgs with 42/40. My 010 is averaging 45mgs with the same pressure but it's Winter and the car only has 1600 miles on it. We shall see when the warmer weather comes . FishHawk

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Put them at the pressure for maximum load listed on the sidewall (44psi for your tires) and run them there for a couple of weeks. If your not happy with that lower them a little.

I use the same pressure in all 4 tires because the 2 pound difference front/rear doesn't seem to matter, of course it doesn't hurt either. I suspect that the 2 pound front/rear difference is based on an empty car and possibly an empty gas tank because that's the way curb weight is calculated, most of us carry some stuff in the back.