1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does sunlight obscure your Prius screen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Oxo, May 13, 2006.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This week the first sunny days have arrived in this northern place since I bought my Prius. On a bright day, with the sun shining from almost any direction, the reflections have an adverse effect on my view of the screen so that I can't see much on the consumption screen or on the map if I'm using the Nav system. Maybe my screen isn't bright enough. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible to increase the brightness of the screen?

2. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ May 13 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]254831[/snapback]</div>
    You can purchase a screen protector, similar to what might be placed over a PDA screen. It is tinted plastic with an anti-glare surface. It really helps with the sun glare. Try NuShield

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. furkidsnprius

furkidsnprius New Member

Maybe my screen isn't bright enough. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible to increase the brightness of the screen?
    [/quote]
    Yes you can adjust the screen settings. You also might want to check if you are in Day mode or not. You can change both brightness and contrast. Try Display settings.
    Marie

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the sun strikes the screen directly, esp. if you have polarized glasses on, it can wash it out completely.

The hood helps, but when the sun is coming in from the back and side from a low angle it'll wash it out no matter what.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have the Sun Hood, like efusco suggested, which works fine. It doesn't work all angles, but it's effective most of the time.

I understand that if you're getting a DashTopper dash cover, you can ask to have the cover extended so it acts like the hood. You can see a picture of it here.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ May 13 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]254831[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for all suggestions. I'll have a look in my local accessory shop to see if they've got the hood and/or the NuShield and if not will order them online and report here on result, but we don't see the sun much here, and not at all today.