1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the 16" Tire Get Lower Mileage Than the 15"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tenor1, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Tenor1

Tenor1 New Member

Is there a difference in mileage?

Thanks,
    Tenor1

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes. Some people in Japan have swapped their 16" Touring rims for the smaller standard 15" rims.

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The word on the street is yes, the Touring gets about 5% worse mileage. It could be caused by tire brand as much as wheel size. I've owned both, and I'm getting virtually the same mileage on the Touring as I got on my 2005. Of course I learned how to drive a hybrid on the 2005. Overall I think the difference is below the general noise level of variations from car to car.
    I got about 45 winter and 50 summer on both cars, although the 2007 seems to keep getting better.

4. Tenor1

Tenor1 New Member

Thanks for the responses. The 5% variance could be driving patterns. I like the idea of the upgraded suspension more than other bells and whistles plus the price increase seems negligible.

Narf, do you feel the touring suspension is worth the potentially slightly lower mileage?

Regards,
    Tenor1

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Again... Howdy Tenor1 - looks as if you are enjoying your '07 Prius... and PriusChat is a superior resource to get practical, realworld information.

I drove my '04 Prius for just over 2 years, now my '07 Touring for 7 months. I find that the '07 Touring gets about 10% lower MPG than the '04 did but must comment that the '07 being only 7 months old is still likely a little 'stiff.' My '04 continued to gain MPG up to over 15K miles on the clock. I did run my tires at 40/38 psi on the '04, and choose to run the Bridgestone Turanzas on the '07 at 36/34 psi for a little more comfortable ride - that can definitely affect MPG. All things considered, I believe the '07 Touring is getting very close to the same MPG.

CIAO

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I suspect the 16" Wheels have higher un-sprung weight which would result in lower mileage by some amount.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 16" tire (wheel) should have mileage that is 1" higher than the 15". Well, actually, 0.5" higher since half of the diameter is above the axle. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Tom

8. prius2go

prius2go Member

:D
    It doesnt :p
    The larger wheels have lower profile tyres
    However there may be a couple of percent difference in rolling circumference.
    How are miles being measured in these mpg tests?
    with the car or sat nav?

In theory the increase weight of aluminum wheel should be less than the reduced rubber and air
    so the larger wheels should have higher mpg

9. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The touring's bridgestones have max sidewall of 51 psi, so for those not wanting to go above the psi limit (are the integrities 42 on the base?) this could make up some of whatever is lost by the bigger rims/wider tire.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Sep 21 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]515897[/snapback]</div>
    What about drag from a larger surface area?

11. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes and no !! b/c I am not sure if you are comparing the touring vs the regular Prius. Now, what kind of answer is this??? My situation is this: I changed my 15" OEM for 16" wheels and tires, so this may not apply to your question. Some 16" wheels with your choice of tires may give you a lower profile.
    So, given the dimensions of your Integrity OEM tires and wheels compared to the dimensions of your new 16" setup, the difference can be calculated by the program presented by:
    1. www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit [or at]
    2. http://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/tirescgi
    Plug in your data to the formulas, and you will have your answer. Its about 1 to 2% difference, most of the time, either way.

12. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Usually, when one uses 16 inch compared with the 15 inch wheel, the increase in wheel weight is
    significant. Assuming the wheel width remains the same, the surface area of a 16 inch alloy wheel is
    256/225 = 1.137 => 14% heavier. Since you want to maintain the same diameter of the tire (+/1 1/4 inch),
    the tire actually weighs less (by a small fraction since only the side wall is reduced).
    Assume that the wheel and tire both weigh about 20lbs. The whole package is 40lbs.
    14% increase in wheel is about 3lbs. You are looking at 7% increase in the overall tire/wheel package.
    A heavier tire/wheel package increase the unsprung weight, but it is more related to handling and comfort than MPG.
    However, the rotating mass increase would hurt your MPG but a couple %. More for city driving (F=ma) and less for
    highway (just overcoming friction and wind drag).

However, usually when one uses 16 inch wheel, it involves a wider tire (better braking, roadholding g). Then, the
    tire weight also increases by 5.4% (say, 195/185=1.054) roughly. The overall package weight would increase by around
    10% (7%+5.4% - small sidewall reduction). Therefore, 10% of (40lbs) = 4lbs. 4x4 (4 wheels) = 16lbs.
    With such increase in tire width and wheel diameter, your Prius has to maintain the rotating mass by an extra 16lb.
    That would eat into your MPG by a couple percents.

What one gets from all the sizing up is
    - better roadholding (shorter sidewall and wider contact surface)
    - shorter braking distance (emergency)

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

14. prius2go

prius2go Member

weighing them is the only real answer
    the weight of air counts especially at 40psi

However the real issue is rolling resistance
    I's have thought the lower profile tires are stiffer and so roll easier
    How to measure that?