1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the 2010 really have issues??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by StephenJ, Aug 20, 2017.

1. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello! Newbie here. I've never owned a Prius but my daughter likes them so I'm looking around for used ones. Most of the ones I've found in my budget are 2009 and 2010. On the car complaints website the 2010 as a lot of complaints, far more than the 09 and I believe the most of any year. I thought maybe you guys could fill me in about that model. My daughter would prefer the 2010 but I don't want to get a car plagued with issues. Is the drivetrain substantially different from 2009 to 2010 or did they just give it a little facelift? Are the complaints for the 2010 just little things that most previous owners would have worked out and fixed by now so shouldn't be an issue at this point?

Just trying to figure out what I may be walking into with a 2010 vs 2009.

Thanks!
    Stephen

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

unfortunately, some do. and figuring out if a used one does is problematic. most serious is oil burning around 100k. but it's a small percentage of total vehicles, and most have no problem.
    the other thing is rattles, which you can find in a test drive.
    2009 is pretty bullet proof. how many miles on them?

3. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Most have between 100k-150k. Im really looking for 125k or less.

Does the oil consumption a deteriorating issue that gets worse the more miles you go or does it start up and just kind of stay the same for years?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    deteriorating. some burn a quart or two between changes, and others are up to a quart per 1,000 miles.
    toyota considers 1 quart per 600 miles the cutoff for warranty, but they are out of warranty anyway.

you can find plenty of '2010 burning oil' threads here, using the search function. and you will also find many people chiming in that there's doesn't burn any oil.
    there is also a problem with egr and intake manifold clogging, but those can be cleaned.

5. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So did some people get their engines replaced under warranty? Maybe I need to look for a 2010 that had the engine repaired...would probably run forever in that case.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We have a 2010 Prius II with 161 k miles and running strong.

I began to notice oil consumption around 120 k miles on the order of a quart every 4500 miles. I have done several things to reduce this amount, but the key is monitoring ;).

I check both of our cars (we also have a 2017 RX450h) every Saturday morning for oil level, 12v battery voltage and other visible fluid levels (inverter, engine coolant).

Keep an eye on those and it goes a long way toward keeping the Prius in good standing(y).

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  7. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Raytheeagle thanks for sharing your experience! What kind of things did you do to reduce the amount of consumption?

N/m I saw you posted on another thread about using an additive and increasing the weight.

#7 StephenJ, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A list of what I have done:

• Gone up to 5w-30 oil with no effect on fuel economy (averaging 51.4 mpg over the last 21 k miles :))
    • Keep the speed I travel on the freeway at 0-5 mph above the posted limit (I used to do 10-15 mph above and that is where the Prius uses more oil)
    • Use BG Products EPR prior to draining the oil to cleanse the engine (there is gas that blows by and leads to contamination in the oil)
    • Use BG Products MOA when I change the oil (helps keep the oil basic and fend off the contamination of gas which makes the oil acidic, degrading rubber components)
    I have also done the egr system and intake manifold cleanse to stay ahead of carbon deposits ;).

Hope that helps(y).

m.wynn, Montgomery, SFO and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes 2010 is the first year of the 3rd generation of the Prius. 2009 is the last year of the second generation. New design, new 1.8 litre engine (vs. 1.5 litres) and a host of updated features such a as cooled EGR, exhaust heat recovery system (heats the coolant and thus warms the engine up faster. This replaces the coolant thermos of the Gen 2), removal of the finicky rubber bladder in the fuel tank. Better fuel economy, slightly larger trunk, better headlights.

Note that both will have an AUX jack but if your daughter uses an iPod/iPhone for music, the 2010 will have USB/iPod input but ensure the car is built from Sep 2010 onwards. Early build 2010s were missing USB/iPod unless the previous owner paid for it as a dealer installed accessory. Bluetooth audio streaming was also available on the 2010 (those with navigation). 2010 models included a driver's knee air bag and a less aggressive traction control system that allowed for some wheel spin on icy or snowy surfaces (Gen 2 cars would just cut the power - a scary situation if you're not aware of it).

For the 2010, yes the biggest issue so far appears to be engine oil consumption. I have less than 100,000 miles on mine so I haven't seen it yet. It appears to occur after 100,000 miles.

10. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Tidelands Prius - Thanks for the great info, I've actually been wondering how to tell if one has Bluetooth or not so glad to hear it comes with navigation so I can determine. Thanks for that info!

Is the problem really only for 2010 or does it just have more cars with over 100k miles? I saw a good deal on a 2011 that I may try to come up with more money for. What change did they make after 2010 to correct the oil consumption?

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Stephen, I believe I remember seeing one Gen3 thread about getting a new engine under warranty. I also seem to remember Gen2 threads about oil turning to sludge. One of the culprits was the quality of the oil stored in the dealer's tank.

How often do you and your daughter pop the hood and check the fluids?

Those who only have the oil changed don't know whether or not their car burns oil. Then one day we'll see a thread about the check engine light getting lit only during turns. That's when we'll suggest the owner check the oil level which will be very low and may not even be on the dipstick.

My car burns oil. I don't know when it started and since I don't measure it I don't know how much but it isn't enough to bother me. I'll add some when it gets low enough. My 2000 Intrigue burned oil from the day it was made. If I had followed the recommended oil change interval I would have been rotating the oil.

Have you looked at the data on http://www.truedelta.com ?

MY2009 was very short. MY2010 was very long.

Look for and download the sales brochures for every model year you are looking at so you can determine what was available and how it was packaged.

Happy hunting.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Also check out the Consumer Reports study indicating that there is no correlation between oil consumption and engine problems. Basically, the downside is only the cost of oil.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless you fail to monitor the oil level carefully, and come back here with, 'i went for an oil change, and they said there wasn't any oil to change'.:eek:
    plus, a prius that burns a lot of oil is a prius that defeats the purpose of the low pollution design, which matters to some of us, although we aren't always in the financial position to rectify it in a timely manner.

#13 bisco, Aug 20, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do catalytic converters suffer from REALLY heavy oil burning? Not sure.

Our 2010 has around 50K miles (yup), zero oil burn so far, but who knows. All our previous Hondas needed anywhere between one and three cups between oil changes, never thought anything of it. I'm a little in awe of the lack of consumption, so far, on this Prius.

Ours was built in August 09, and we bought in November 10, new. It has only a 1/8" audio jack that you connect to the earbud socket on a phone, works fine for playing music off the phone. It has bluetooth phone connection for calls, but that depends on the level? And this is Canadian, so not sure how it correlates to US.

15. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    go with 2012 :)

saltdiscus, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just cus you got one. :p

Seriously, when you did the intake manifold cleaning, you mention the egr passage just goes in a few inches, then opens up? When I had just the EGR pipe off our 2010, it seemed like that passage was going the full width of the manifold. My pipe cleaner didn't reach that far, but quite far, and it sure seemed like no opening up. Maybe part of the EGR clogging issue, there was mention of revised intake manifold.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your owning year bias is showing:p.

18. StephenJ

StephenJ Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    So what is the consensus on why they burn so much oil? Are the piston rings wearing faster than they do on the 2nd gen engine? I'm wondering if the major consumption is related to using conventional oil instead of synthetic or maybe going 7-10k miles between changes as opposed to 5k or less. I grew up on the whole change your oil every 3k idea and still feel like going more than 5k is harmful....if for no other reason than the oil is contaminated by that point. Do you guys think the oil consumption could just be due to ring wear from not changing the oil often enough? I'm sure Toyota approves of a lot of miles between changes but I don't know, I'd probably still change it between 3k-5k miles

#18 StephenJ, Aug 20, 2017
    Mendel Leisk and Montgomery like this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Search in the Gen 2 area and you'll see plenty of oil consumption. Just tell your daughter to pop the hood every so often (no more than 2 weeks in between depending on miles traveled) and show her how to read the dipstick and add oil;).

I have trained my wife how to do it. It can be done(y).

#19 Raytheeagle, Aug 20, 2017
    SFO likes this.
  20. Joaquim Silva

Joaquim Silva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2010 is gen3 and has many improvements over 2009 gen2. You will love the Prius, outstanding gas mileage and roomier for its size. Less problems compared to many non hybrids of same age.

Merkey likes this.