1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the A/C reduce mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jakabite, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Jakabite

Jakabite New Member

Someone told me that the A/C compressor is ran off an electric motor (not directly off the engine)?? Is this true?

Then running the A/C will only draw from the batteries...?

Does this really decrease your gas mileage??

I would think it would a little, because it draws off the battery and that could provide more power to the electric motor... But how much of a decrease are we really talking about here?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mountain_Prius @ Oct 4 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]521439[/snapback]</div>
    Yes

Yes
    Yes

It varies depending upon how cold or hot you have it set, how hot or cold it is outside. Usually you're talking about around 2-5mpg loss. If you go to Wayne Brown's Prius Simulator Site you can download his simulator and enter various data to see how the AC temp setting will impact FE for various outside temps at various speeds.

3. dallas2727

dallas2727 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 4 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]521465[/snapback]</div>

I've driven entire tanks with AC on (set to auto) during temps in the 90s, and I've done tanks with it off. I didn't see a lick off difference in MPG, and I pay close attention.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's yes to all of your questions.

As for how much of a decrease, it depends on the ambient temperature and how cold you want it inside and traffic. Sit in traffic with the A/C at 65 and you'll see the battery down to two bars with 5 mins. Bump it up to 72-75 and it'll last longer.

dallas, it won't make a difference if you're on the highway (since you're charging the battery anyway) so you might as well use A/C.

5. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In really basic terms...

The ulitmate source of all power in the Prius (and other automobiles) is the gasoline in the tank. Whether the air conditioner is run directly from the engine (as in a regular automobile from a belt connected to the crank shaft) or by electric motor (as in the Prius) attached to the electrical system, the ultimate source of power is still the gasoline engine.

The air conditioner requires a only a couple of horsepower which is a relatively small fraction of power required to make the car go. Consequently in most cases you will not see very much, if any, reduction in gas consumption. (I suspect that if you ran two identical Prius automobiles side by side (one with air conditioning on, and the other with air conditioning off and windows closed) over a long distance, you might see some evidence in increased fuel consumption by the vehicle using air conditioning .

Keith :unsure:

6. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

No difference on the fuel economy if you're on the highway. Little difference if you're in the city, as long as you set it to 78?F/Low. That's sufficient to keep you cool even in the desert heat. If you set it to Max and full blast and drive in the city, I assume it would have a more noticeable impact on the MPG.
    No A/C in a HOT day doesn't mean just torture for you, it also tortures the car. The battery needs to be cool to perform at its best.
    So if you need the A/C turn it on at a comfortable setting (around 78?F and low fan) and enjoy your drive!

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hadn't we come to the conclusion in a previous thread that windows up/cool air on used less gas at highway speeds?

8. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All I have to say is that the energy has to come from somewhere. Any amps going into the AC is less amps going into the MG's.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Oct 4 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]521544[/snapback]</div>
    That's true and for the most part that's all you need to know. But, like so many things, it gets more complicated than that.

Let's assume outside air temp is 100F and the AC is set to 72F when used...

Highway
    Option 1) AC windows up-more aerodynamic, mild FE drop due to AC parasitic drain, battery stays cool and works in near optimal temperture/performance range.
    Option 2) No AC windows up-aerodynamic, no drop due to AC, but battery temp rises, battery cooling fan runs at max and decreases performance which induces drop in FE. But it's too hot for human comfort.
    Option 3) No AC windows down-Poor aerodynamics, No drop from AC, battery warm but still in reasonable operating range due to inflow of outside air...may induce slight drop in performance.

Conclusion--most feel that Option 1 makes most sense at highway speed. While most of us observe a small drop in FE compared to the other 2 options it's more than worth it.

City/Rural (low speed)
    Option 1) AC windows up-more aerodynamic but not a big factor due to lower speeds, moderate FE drop due to AC parasitic drain which continues even when in stealth or at a stop, battery stays cool and works in near optimal temperture/performance range.
    Option 2) No AC windows up-aerodynamic but not a big factor, no drop due to AC, but battery temp rises, battery cooling fan runs at max and decreases performance which induces drop in FE. But it's too hot for human comfort.
    Option 3) No AC windows down-Aerodynamics not significantly impacted due to low speed, No drop from AC, battery warm but still in reasonable operating range due to inflow of outside air...may induce slight drop in performance.

Conclusion--This is more of a personal preference/comfort issue. At 100F outside temp I choose to use AC and eat the MPG hit. At temps closer to 80F and sometimes up to 90F I'll suffer the heat a little and drive with the windows down to minimize the hit...in this situation it clearly makes a significant impact on FE to use AC, but personal comfort has value too.

10. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great answer Doc! You really put it in perspective.

11. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or there is the lesser-known "4th" option of using "ice-gel" packs in a heatsink + fan + ice cooler configuration. (Or wear an ice-vest)

Less convenient, but for all us hypermiler-wannabes, we're used to a little inconvenience :p

Also, I think that your battery statement that the battery fan goes on high is a bit exaggerated. According to a battery presentation from Wayne, I'm lead to believe that the batteries of the prius II are much more efficient at dissipating heat and that the fan rarely goes high speed.

12. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dallas2727 @ Oct 4 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]521477[/snapback]</div>

Finally, the perpetual energy machine we've all been searching for! I hope you isolate and patent this process ASAP!

13. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As for highway driving, the MPG Simulator that Evan mentions above reveals the following at 55 MPH:

85F OAT, no AC: 61 MPG
    85F OAT, AC set to 76F: 59 MPG
    85F OAT, AC set to 70F: 57 MPG
    95F OAT, no AC: 63 MPG
    95F OAT, AC set to 76F: 59 MPG
    95F OAT, AC set to 70F: 57 MPG

This assumes all windows closed. When you start opening windows at 55 MPH and 85F (no AC):

2 diagonally opposed windows down 1": 60 MPG
    2 windows half way down: 57 MPG
    All windows down: 53 MPG

All scenarios assume no wind and smooth, dry pavement.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Oct 5 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]521666[/snapback]</div>
    If you think about the parameters I gave (100F outside temp windows up) we're talking about a cabin temp in the 120-140F range on a sunny day...the battery will get very hot and the fan will come on to max temp....guarantee it. I'm not saying that it will use a tremendous amount of energy to run the fan, but probably an equivalent amount to what the AC fan would use. Add to that the loss in efficiency of the battery as it balances against what the AC would use and the relative loss in FE for using the AC gets pretty small.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 4 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]521502[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but the OP didn't ask that question. The OP wanted to know if using A/C hurts mileage, which of course has to be true since A/C uses energy and the energy comes from fuel. The short answer is that anything that directly or indirectly burns fuel without moving the car hurts mileage. The longer answer is that in many cases using A/C is better than the alternative of open windows or roasting the battery.

Tom

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dallas2727 @ Oct 4 2007, 09:23 PM) [snapback]521477[/snapback]</div>
    I too have heard of this.... I never saw a difference in the milage either...

On a typical ICE yes there is a difference in MPG. and you have to leave the car running to use the ac.

On my 04' Prius it was great I would leave the ac on norm (med fan) set to 15* cooler than the outside temp (I had a thermometer in the a/c duct for setting the temp) , and when sitting still the ICE would turn on every 30 min and run for 10 then shut off. Again I had to use a prius for a year at work, I would average 350 - 400 mile per tank. Im in Florida and the outside temps hover around 85*- 102*

But again the opinion of most on PC. is that running the ac does effect your MPG's.

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Oct 5 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]521762[/snapback]</div>
    Using A/C does effect mileage. It has to. Very basic thermodynamics will tell you that there is no free lunch. If you use energy, it has to come from somewhere, and in the Prius, that means burning gas.

What many of the posters have discovered is that the Prius A/C is very efficient. Compared to ordinary automobile A/C, it uses very little power. In many cases the power loss is too little to notice.

Tom

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those who haven't noticed a difference in MPG...
    Let me add that we're talking about small percentage drops that you'll observe. It would be easy to see the difference if you could drive a route such as that simulated by Wayne's Prius simulator...but we're talking about a reduction of 1-3mpg over the course of a full tank at steady speed. That's what, 2-5%? Almost impossible to measure accurately on a single trip or even a single tank.

Some of us hypermiling nut-jobs can notice a significant drop...I can achieve 75-82mpg on my work commute (15 miles rolling rural roads and some city driving with around 10 stops over the distance of the drive, avg. speed about 30mpg). With AC there's no way I can get over 65mpg on that commute if used the whole way. I've found that there are strategic ways to use AC and times I can shut it off to take advantage of it's effects but not waste energy while I wait at lights and can get those numbers up closer to 70mpg or so and stay comfortable most of the trip.

By all means, when it's hot outside, turn on the A/C, the impact is small to unmeasurable for most drivers.

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Also, just to confirm windows open "wastes" energy, I've used it descending mountain passes to help hold my speed, just to see what the difference was between this and using "B". The difference was the "thumping" caused by the air pressure resonating at around 5 Hz in the cabin. Otherwise, the windows open would hold my speed almost as well as "B". So it does "waste" energy/is aerodynamically inefficient. Just like most other vehicles I've owned. ;) Heck, the anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder) owners manual recommended using A/C instead of having the windows open at highway speeds, stating it was more fuel efficient that way. And it was.

20. dallas2727

dallas2727 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Oct 5 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]521679[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what you are getting at. I guess you were trying to be sarcastic and funny at the expense of me just factually reporting my experiance.