1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Canadian Prius/Prius Prime have tpms?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Nntw, Mar 3, 2023.

1. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    As I learned from my 2021 Rav4Prime, just because the owner's manual mentions TPMS doesn't mean a Canadian car HAS tire pressure monitoring.

The Canadian website doesn't mention TPMS for the 2023 Prius, and there's even less info on the Prime.

So... anyone know? Thanks in advance.

#1 Nntw, Mar 3, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll bite: it doesn't have tpms?

BTW, a Rav4 Prime is practically a unicorn; I have to stop and stare whenever I see one.

3. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd be correct, sir, it does not. Although other cars on the same platform (think Venza) do.

I remain grateful to the dealership where I bought my Rav- I got one of the 3 that arrived in 2021, and they have yet to see any more.

As an aside, that's why I've preordered a Prius Prime- think it's "speak now (preorder), or forever hold your peace".

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Snivly

Snivly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Looking at the pdf of the manual there are 111 mentions of the tire pressure warning system.

I did not see a remark which stated -optiona-l listed in regards to this.

I think this is what you are looking for.

Pete in Montreal

2016 Prius to 2021 prime to 2023 XSE premium whenever .

5. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks…some folks regard it as a pain but I’d rather have it. Rental car here in the US let me know it had a slow leak… fortunately day i was returning it, so minimal impact, but glad i knew about it.

#5 Nntw, May 4, 2023
    Last edited: May 4, 2023
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many manufacturers were deleting features during the chip shortage in order to ship cars. GM took the auto-stop off their pick ups during that time. Toyota spoke of doing such in a couple articles. If not mandatory by law, shipping cars without the ability to read the sensors is an option, and one feature many owners wouldn't miss. Supply chain issues could also be limiting the sensor supply.

7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Seems hard to believe, but it seems to the case that RAV4 Prime deletes this feature based on a discussion thread at rav4world - (Canadian RAV4 2021 limited no TPMS | Toyota RAV4 Forums)

I think the chip shortage make a lot of sense for the reasoning (as the R4P are unicorns anyway even without deleting it), though I don’t recall exactly when the shortage started?

I am also not clear if the 22 and 23 models still do not have TPMS?

I would be surprised if the Prius Prime also deleted it… the main difference being that the RAV4 does comes with a spare (to my knowledge), while the Prius does not. Can a manufacturer afford to sell a car without at least one of…

1. Spare Tire
    2. TPMS
    3. Run-flat tires

??

… and to my knowledge, there is no spare or run-flats available on the 23 Prius Prime, so I don’t see how they could delete the TPMS without exposing themselves to possible litigation when something bad inevitably happens to someone… o_O

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Manufacturers are using the same Modus Operandi as a protection racket, intentionally or not:

1. Delete the spare, then provide TPMS.

2. Make Heat/Ventilation systems that cannot be adjusted without protracted eyes-off-the-road time, then provide Voice Commands.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The manual for the Prius has instructions for using the spare tire.
    Translating the manual for different markets is one thing. Editing it for market feature differences, that may not be set at the time of the manual's writing, is another.
    Poking around, this seems to have started years before supply issues. Some valid reasons, like common use of separate snow tires, to not have them in Canada. The decision making on what models to have it seems random. Okay, the Venza is targeted to older buyers, who may appreciate the less effort in checking pressures with TPMS vs the typical Rav4 buyer. But why no TPMS on the Corolla sedan, yet the hatchback has it? Speculation was on where the models were assembled.

You need TPMS with run flat tires. They can't go far or fast with no pressure in them, and there isn't the usual clues to the driver that one is flat.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Good feedback, I have never had run flats (nor do I want them), so good to know. (y)

I like having TPMS, and being in Canada I run two sets of tire on separate rims, it never had a second set of TPMS and just put up with the light for ~6 months. Costco tells me they can duplicate the ID codes so the swap is seamless ( even though I have a TPMS tool I have never got to use, since the some of the sensors in my Gen 2 rims I kept were dead o_O), but we’ll see when I get my ‘23 Prime. :cool:

11. Snivly

Snivly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I suppose it is possible but like you my 2016 Prius had tpms/tpws same with my 2021 Prime.

We have to use snow tires by law in Quebec from Dec 1 to March 15 and I too put up with a red marker during the winter period.

There might be a question how effective they would be at - 30 C or F, but last I looked Vermont, Maine, NH, Michigan among others don't seem to be too terribly tropical either.

Pete In Montreal

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  13. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

TPMS isn’t legally required in Canada. So Toyota decided NOT to fit it to current generation rav4s.

My ‘05 AWD Sienna had run flats AND could accurately tell if a tire was losing pressure based on its different rotation speed. And not a single tire sensor required…

Progress, huh?

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our sons Mazda CX-5 has TPMS sensors on the original rims, and on the snow tire rims he acquired. The extra sensors on the snow tire rims were around $30 CDN apiece (IIRC). Dealerships offer packages with snow tires, decent looking Mazda steel rims in silver with centre caps, and sensors. When we switch between the two sets of wheels (spring and fall) the car automatically recognizes the different sensors, with just a bit of driving.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    US law required direct pressure measurement vs that indirect system, which takes longer to come online after car start up. It's cheaper for manufacturers to use the system required in the US as an option in Canada. Without the US law, Canadian models with any TPMS would likely be limited to those with factory run flats.

16. Bobo99

Bobo99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2019 RAV4 XLE Hybrid, so it's pre-pandemic. And it doesn't have TPMS (in Canada). Blaming it on the supply chain issues - post-pandemic - won't cut it...

17. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Prime in Canada have TPMS. Also can enter a second set of TPMS if you have two set of wheels.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Yes and yes. :)

Furthermore, it also reports the pressure for each tire through the MID in the cluster, and also in the Toyota app. In the setting menu the driver can toggle between two sets of sensors, so once you have both sets programmed to the car you will never need a dealer to reprogram them for you. (y)

purplePriii likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you need dealership for an initial introduction? That’s a one-time thing at least, knock-on-wood.

You work with what you’ve got. Our 3rd gen can only retain one set, our snows dont have sensors, everything’s good. :)

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The OP mentioned the 2021 Rav4 Prime.

Canada doesn't require TPMS on all cars. So how does Toyota choose which models have it, and which don't?