1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the EGR cleaning/replacement actually fix the death rattle?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Perkolator, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have a 13 Prius with 165k that’s used as a highway work commuter. It decided to start doing the death rattle knocking on startup recently and I’m wanting to keep it alive and not have it blow the HG or have to replace the car. Always been dealer serviced and to my knowledge doesn’t burn oil. Coolant level looks full, but did have a “burp” when opening the reservoir. Oil didn’t have any emulsion/milkshake going on, so guessing no head gasket issue…yet.

I read about common EGR issues on these cars so I figure mines dirty as it’s never been opened up in 165k. I wasn’t planning to work on the car as I don’t have a garage and it was raining, but pulling the EGR tube seemed quick to see if it was gunked up. The tube did have some deposits but nothing horrible IMO. Cleaned it out with brake cleaner.

Stopped raining so decided to go further and pull the intake manifold - found puddle of oil inside at the bottom and the PCV tube with like a sediment sludge inside. I didn’t replace the PCV but for less than $10 I definitely will at some point. Also see why the oil catch can is something people do on these. The intake ports were a bit dirty but nothing was actually clogged enough to prevent air flow. I sprayed it out with cleaner and probed around with a long screwdriver but didn’t have any bottle brushes to get in there really good.

I figured the EGR valve was a culprit and decided to pull it off without the cooler (saw it could be done that way in a video) since I didn’t have enough clamps for the hoses and again wasn’t planning on taking apart the car that day. EGR Wasn’t as filthy as some pics I’ve seen but I sprayed it out to at least help it a bit. Didn’t take off the black cap to do a full cleaning on the plunger. Didn’t touch the EGR cooler as I didn’t remove it, looking inside it didn’t seem that clogged either, just dirty as I’d expect anything connected to the exhaust to be.

So having done some cleaning on these parts I figured it would help. I’m not sure if it did anything as the problem persists. In the two weeks since doing these, sometimes the car will run fine without issue, but other times it will buck and rattle whether it’s a cold engine or hot (like after stopping at a light). It goes away in higher rpm’s. Recently one of the bucks was enough to trip a check engine light, I figured it’s a knock sensor maybe(?). I don’t have a real code reader, just a Scangauge2 and it says two codes, but only one code shows up as P0000 or something like that (I see as a general code since scangauge can’t read it like a proper scan tool?).

I didn’t do any disconnect on the 12v battery for any of this. Saw reference to doing this with EGR service?

I’m wondering what I should do next? The car is due for service and I’m dreading they’ll just say I need to drop like $2k+ for EGR parts or a head gasket, etc. I’d like to avoid that if possible. I can replace the EGR stuff myself if that’s the fix.

I’ve contemplated just buying a brand new EGR cooler, EGR valve and intake manifold - to swap in and keep the old ones to fully clean out for next time. Those parts seem to be around $900 from a local Toyota dealer who seems to have better prices than others.

Do you think this will actually resolve my issues or should I start thinking about trading it in?

thanks

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Engine in near future . Don't work 9n it as far as head gasket . The death rattles damaging the center section . Which houses the reciprocating mass You don't want to fool with it swap it out when the time comes which is soon

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you clarify what you’re saying?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah buckle up You're going to be needing an engine. The death rattle your experiencing is weakening the center section of your engine assembly which is the reciprocating mass meaning the crank the rods the pistons are in that section of the block and the death rattle is that reciprocating mass shaking uncontrollably out of sync and that's causing havoc on the whole assembly which is called an open deck design It's inherently weak by design. But you're trading off a lot of weight and what have you with this type of engine design and if executed correctly it can work very well as you see in the Corolla with same engine without the Atkinson cycle and all of this stuff that's all that I'm saying. I wouldn't work on the 2Z Atkinson cycle engine in the Prius I would just order one from the JDM suppliers and get on with it. Or you can go ahead and spend a couple grand fooling around and have that not work and then order the JDM after that and have way more money than you need to in the stuff or not It's totally your decision.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the EGR is neglected long enough, the head gasket fails, typically leaking coolant into cylinders or two. That coolant in the cylinders is the “death rattle”: being incompressible, the pistons in affected cylinders struggle to get over the top, stress the piston arms, crankshaft and damper at engine/transaxle junction.

so what do think, cleaning the EGR and intake now, will turn back the clock?

6. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whatever the issue is, the shake or knock or whatever has only happened about a dozen times from the 6-7 times it’s been ran since I first heard it, otherwise runs as normal.

Sounds like you’re both saying it’s going to need a HG or a replacement engine though based on what I’ve mentioned?

what are other signs of a HG failure? Coolant level looks same as when I started monitoring and no milkshake oil or smoke from tailpipe

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think it’s just a slight leak at first; best to get on it sooner than later. Boroscope inspect (with cooling system pressurized) and/or leak down test are methods to verify.

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Read a little about HGs it definitely sounds like those symptoms are what I’m experiencing. I definitely don’t want to bend or throw a rod so I guess it’s time to park it until I get it resolved. Dang this sucks.

Thanks for the advice.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Perkolator

Perkolator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HG was the issue. Toyota wanted $4200 for HG, but in my research I discovered that for half the price you can get a mobile HG service in CA, through Gasket Masters. They could even do a whole engine swap with rebuilt engine (vs unknown condition used engine)

On the gasket it looked just barely breached between cylinders 1&2; guy said it was an early catch. They use a FelPro head gasket instead of Toyota - it has raised ridges to help prevent failures, whereas the Toyota one is flat.

Only driven it 100 miles so far, but seems like it's got more power, runs smoother, and my trip fuel economy went up too.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good to hear.

EGR and intake manifold cleaned?