1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Gen 2 Prius inverter cooling pump run continuously?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gbi, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently received a P0A93 and VSC code. I noticed a sudden loos of power, likely the vsc. I was close to home, so just continued. The car appeared to run fine. I cleared the codes using a scanner and they have not returned, although I have only taken short trips. I followed several posts that indicate the inverter pump should run continuously whenever the ignition is on; however, I have also found a Haynes repair manual that says the pump only runs based on the computer demand. Several posts and other YouTube posts say to check the pump is running by checking the tank for a swirling. The only requirement is to place the ignition in the On position, or in ready, the system does not need to be hot. I performed this check and no swirl or pump vibration was evident.

I have checked the pump by using a jumper from a 12 volt battery and the pump runs fine and the swirl is evident when the pump is running. I used my OBDII scanner and monitored the MG1 and MG2 temps and they were relatively stable at 140 degrees average with rapid spikes to 160 quickly returning to 140 when under load. This was a test drive that started with the engine cold, it was about 55 degrees F outside temp. When I return home I checked the tank and the coolant had no swirl and the coolant remained cool, no temperature rise. This could be normal if the pump only runs when computer determines cooling is needed or it could be a problem if the pump should be running continuously. The error codes have not returned; but I am not confident about taking the car for a more challenging drive. Any insight or recommended reference material that defines the inverter pump operation? Thanks.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the Gen 2, the Haynes manual is incorrect. The pump should always be operating when the car is either IG-ON or READY.

If the pump runs when directly powered but not when plugged in, you need to find out why power is not reaching the harness connector when the car is either IG-ON or READY.

ColoradoCrow and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @dolj is right. Haynes is wrong. It runs all the time.

It is possible to be fooled on the swirling coolant. Looking into the reservoir, it's a small window and if the light isn't good, you might miss the swirling even though it's there. Usually, though, it's easy to see. Another check is, if your hand is small enough to get down there, feel the pump itself. You should feel it vibrating as it runs.

4. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I removed the headlight since I was expecting to need to replace the pump; the posts all indicate that the pump is the most likely cause. Before removing the pump I connected the pump with a jumper to a spare 12 volt battery and to my surprise the pump ran, i could feel the slight vibration and also could see the coolant movement.

5. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears the inverter pump relay is in the fuse box connector block under the drives side dash. I have been told this is in the “inner circuit” that is part of the body ecu and this type of failure is rare. The car does have 246K miles, so maybe first time failures can be expected. I did the simple check and removed the connector and did a continuity check, the connector is good and spiced it back.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So it seems that the pump CAN work but doesn't, something's up with the wiring on the car. Don't know if that Haynes book has the (correct) wiring diagrams for the inverter pump circuit. May need to look at the OE service manual.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to the library and used the ALLDATA repair reference material, it has circuit diagrams and troubleshooting. This manual troubleshooting chart shows the inverter pump is continuous, not intermittent. This ALLDATA manual shows the pump control is through the Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU. First thing is to check the relay if I can find it; but I if it is the inner circuit, I may need to replace the block. This seems unlikely, I think I agree it may be more likely a wiring issue as you indicate. Could this be a hybrid control ECU issue, seems unlikely that an ECU would fail for just this one function. wow this is getting complicated.

8. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Locating the wiring issue is going to be difficult, the pump wire goes into the fuse box harness under the hood. Note: the pump white / black strip is ground!. Probably need a more advanced tester that can check circuits, not looking to spend a lot of money with a dealer. This is high mileage car and just looking to keep it running a bit longer. I am considering wiring the inverter pump in parallel to the front fog light 15amp circuit. The circuit should have a bit margin to handle the inverter pump which appears to only draw about 1 amp, appears that is an efficient little pump! I would just run with the lights on all the time. Looking for another alternate wire connection that is linked to the inanition on circuit?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any corrosion in the wiring harness pins?

10. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot see the harness connections without disassembly at the fuse box under the hood. The connector to the pump was in good condition. When I removed the connector, the pump pins were clean. The wire to the pump goes into a bundle and I cannot trace it without a lot of disassembly that would likely damage wiring in the process. In general, the fuse box terminals show no obvious corrosion.

bisco likes this.
  11. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe same issue?

Adventures in inverter coolant pump repair | PriusChat

12. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it an OEM pump? At one point there was a Dorman pump in the car. Sometimes it wouldn't start, but once it did, it would continue to run. Start failures were very, very rare, only observed once in testing and once in use. Even so, replaced it with an OEM and have not had a problem since.

13. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is a one wire connector just a couple inchers above and toward the passenger side of the underhood fuse box. This is in the power circuit for the inverter cooling water pump. Verify that connection is tight. Also verify those wires are intact. I've seen that connector left unplugged and we've seen instances of the wire being broken.

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a picture of the connector (ignore the instructions, that does not necessarily apply to your situation):

Prius Gen II Inverter 3 Power Connector.jpg

15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is a dang fine photo isn't it? That shock tower is even a funny green color that matches my 2007 Touring!!

ColoradoCrow and dolj like this.
  16. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure is. ;):D Popular color, that green mica

18. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have found the inverter cooling pump relay terminals and confirmed the relay solenoid is functional and the contacts close when IG-ON. I checked the voltage going into the relay and out and discovered the voltage is only 6 volts into the relay. I checked the nearby accessary relay terminal, and it was 12 volts. I think this confirms the wire is intact but has high resistance causing a voltage drop between the AM2 fuse connection 31 to the inverter pump relay. This relay is part of inner circuit fuse block and does not appear to be something that can be replaced without changing the fuse block. The fuse terminals don't appear to have corrosion. I noticed the AM2 is in a fuse block that appears to be removable. Has anyone needed to replace this fuse block? I see it is available through ebay.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you mean pins 10 and 11 of connector 1A into the junction block under the dash? (I assume you do, as the relay itself is buried inside.)

So, 6 volts at 1A pin 10? That's a black wire that arrives there, coming from connector 3I pin 1, on the bottom of the narrow "Unit B" in the underhood fuse box. Unit B is what contains the AM2 fuse. It should be extractable upward from the fuse box (I hope the connector pigtails plugged into the bottom of it have enough slack to make that easy). Have you measured the voltage right at 3I pin 1?

Oh, did you see 6 volts at 1A pin 10 even when the ignition is OFF, or only when it is ON?

20. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I measured the voltage at pin 10, 6 volts with ig off. With ignition on the pin 10 volts is 6 and pin 11 out is 6 volts. When ig off the pin 11 is 0 volts, I concluded the relay solenoid is working and the relay is good. I measured the voltage at the AM2 fuse, removed the fuse and measured to ground, 12 volts. I don’t know where to find 31 pin 1?