1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Gen 2 Prius inverter cooling pump run continuously?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gbi, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking pin 31 was at the am2 fuse block?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the AM2 fuse is in a narrow, removable, four-fuse-plus-relays assembly called "Unit B".

If you release the tabs at the ends of Unit B and pull it out of the fuse box, three connectors attach to the bottom of it. 3I (note that's a letter I, not a digit 1) is the connector in the middle.

unitb.png

3. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, I will try. Like you indicated, it may not have enough slack to allow removal

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can only think they built it that way with some possibility of removal in mind. But I've never tried to do it.

5. Gbi

Gbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to remove the unit B and confirmed the unit B was good. I removed the connector and confirmed high resistance between pin 1 (3I) and pin 10 of connector 1A to the inner circuit. While I was skeptical, it appears the wire is degraded in the bundle. I have connected 12 volts to pin 10 from a spare 12 volt connection on the fuse block, and the pump is working properly and starts when IG- ON. Thank you all for your assistance.

I am still wondering what could have caused the wire to degrade, I think this is a continuous wire from terminal 1 (3I) to pin 10 (connector 1A).

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would be tempted to extract it from the connector shells at both ends and look there; in my experience, degradation right at a connection is more common than mid-span (unless creatures with teeth are involved).