1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Gen 4 produce an inverter whine and whirring sound?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by ernie1, Dec 29, 2016.

1. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My 2014 Prius v produces an annoying winning and whirring sound in city driving and if I'd have known this I wouldn't have bought it. It's very embarrasssing with company is riding with me. My 2008 hatchback didn't have this issue and I'm told my Prius v has a more "advanced drive line" or something like that. This is progress?!! My question is, does the Gen 4 whine and whirr also? If so, I guess I'll be looking at other brands of hybrids for a replacement for my v.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I've noticed - mine is far quieter than almost any other car I've owned or driven. Most of the time in traffic, the car beside me is noisier.

But, yes it does make noises if you listen hard - show me any mechanical item which doesn't. There are almost imperceptible clicks, whooshes and, yes if you listen hard, you could call it a very soft whirring sound with the REGEN Brakes - which I like - it remind$ me that it is $aving me fuel co$t$ when it is. Much better than the $lurp of fuel into a carburettor.

The only noise which I don't like is the thump from the rear tyres when driving at speed over joining strips on one bridge I cross regularly.

Take one for a test-drive. The LEXUS CT200h was a little quieter, but the interior layout was poor in comparison, and would use measurably more fuel.

RCO likes this.
  3. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I happen to enjoy the electric motor whine as I leave a stoplight without using gas. I also quite like the whine of the regen brakes as they recover energy that lets me leave said stoplights.

4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, that sound - yes, that's part of what you'd expect, though it's so quiet, I have to listen out for it. Much quieter than a diesel/otto engine and exhaust.

RCO likes this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Only time I've heard the Gen 4 motors is when I have the windows open and the sound reflects of nearby objects/walls etc. can't hear it at all inside with windows shut (we don't have the pedestrian warning noise generator here in the uk).

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I could hear it with 1) my windows down (almost never happens here); AND 2) if I could turn my Tinnitus OFF.

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sad, I know, but my wife and I still laugh when pedestrians step in front of the car as we manoeuvre around car parks and filling stations. It's as if they don't even see our bright red car with its DRLs or headlights on when the engine is silent. :ROFLMAO::mad::ROFLMAO::sneaky:

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have a v wagon. And yes I was surprised by the fact it makes a lot more electrical noises and whining the 2nd generation Prius. It also features a sound maker in the front bumper and makes a spaceship type sound when you release the break pedal. It's for pedestrians to hear the car. Odd! But I know what you're talking about, when you're accelerating you can hear the electric motors/inverter change pitch and while, I actually like it. I'm sorry to hear this bothers you. We are all entitled to our own opinion. Have a great day!

RCO likes this.
  9. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I think it's the inverter sounds the op is asking about... not the motor whine on regen and takeoff.

I don't have a G4, but my G3 inverter while it does have a slight electrical sound isn't that loud. You have to be really near it or have the hood open to notice it.

I suspect what you hear is the AC. It generates a similar sound home window AC does, albeit at a slightly lesser volume as it is a smaller unit. Yet with my G3, I have to be parked in a quiet area and standing outside next to the car to think it is embarrassing (and yes it does sound embarrassing if you hit the sweet spot as described). Yours may have a lose part that amplifies the sound.

But if that is all that is preventing you from a G4, go test drive one and once the engine is warm and the battery charged, turn on the AC while parked, and stand next to it while it cycles on and off. See if it is really a deal killer for you or not.

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The whine is the noise the owner is making. ;)

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, we have had that issue for years with out Dark Green 2000 Tundra V8. :LOL:
    People are just not aware of their surroundings and Hybrid noisemakers do not make things any safer, especially with ear buds..

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it s the AC, The Gen 4 may be different. There is no engine belt. Everything is electric.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't say my Prius is loud, but it makes more noises than my other cars. I walk up to it and some pump kicks on (I think brakes?). I put it in reverse I get beeping like I'm driving a mack truck. I take off there's a whirr noise from the electric drivetrain, I stop the regen makes noises. I go down a hill the motor revs like it's going to blow up. I don't mind any of the noises (except maybe the reverse beep but I'll admit, it has saved me twice so I'm hesitant to turn it off). The one that gets me is there is a high pitched whine from the rear seat area whenever there is a lot of power going into or out of the battery. My wife can't hear it but it's very clear to me. I just keep the stereo on, that covers it up.

Oh and the hatch rattles a lot. I don't know if my expectation of no rattle is unrealistic or not but it likes to rattle over bumps and when it's below freezing it is much worse. Could be from my wife slamming it (we had a discussion about slamming doors maybe a month after I bought it but she still slams sometimes) or it could be because this is an economy car built to a price point. Either way, it rattles, it's irritating but the couple of friends I have with hatches have similar rattles as well. Being my first hatchback (and first economy car) I just assume it comes with the territory. If I wanted quiet I'd be driving a Lincoln Continental (which my wife is still pushing to trade the Prius for one).

alanclarkeau and RCO like this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer can change the Reverse beep to a single beep, if you wish.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah but..... twice I've put it in reverse out of habit when I need to go forward. I think the beeping saved me because both times I pause and think "why is that beeping? OH YEAH!!" Granted in my other cars I don't have that beeping but I also haven't had that problem. Maybe that bit of a shake forward or backward, or maybe just having a traditional gear selector / manual transmission prevents me from being stupid, but twice now the damn annoying beep came in handy so I'm thinking I'll just keep it.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    While the look of the rear end might cause me to wince occasionally, the whine? Not so much. First world problems.

MrMischief likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quit following me then! :LOL: :D

RoadNoise likes this.
  18. Starship_Enterprius

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    G3 was when the Prius started to beltless and all electric. That's why I compared it to a house AC because it is a fully electric AC unit and actually sounds similar to a home window unit.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. Starship_Enterprius

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Thanks for bringing this out, I've always wondered if they fixed this with the new model. Looks like they haven't. More and more the Kia Niro and Hyundai Ioniq hybrids are beginning to look nicer.

20. GTBaker

GTBaker Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I love the whine sound and yes mine as well has some sort of rattle noise for the rear.