1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the inverter coolant pump run whenever the car is in Ready?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tadc, Jan 14, 2018.

1. tadc

tadc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all, apologies in advance for what is probably a dumb question, but I've been searching/reading for close to an hour and still no definitive answer...

In short: I swapped the original 12v battery on my 2010 Prius today after a few intermittent instances of getting a red power button light and failure to start on cold mornings. Since I had the hood open, I checked the coolant reservoir flow, and found none. The level wasn't even approaching the "notch", and if I understand correctly there should be a small "waterfall" from back to front?

So: is it correct that the coolant should always flow when in "ready"? Most references say I should test in Ignition-on mode, which for reasons that I won't go into right now (long story), isn't an option for me.

Am I going off track somewhere here?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you just need to see some movement. (in ready)

tadc likes this.
  3. tadc

tadc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks!

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No, the traction battery won't charge in "ignition on". So the inverter may not be functioning.

6. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Inverter pump does run when IG-on, but "turbulence" when viewing thru the fill hole is very subtle with Gen 3. Gen 2 slightly more so, and I believe this is where idea of heavy turbulence, rapids, waterfall has taken hold. A failed inverter pump is very likely to throw the red triangle and P0A93 pretty much straight away. Sounds like the OP is all set with a new 12v.

Raytheeagle, xliderider and bisco like this.
  7. tadc

tadc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the additional replies. I actually went so far as to setup my iphone and took a video while I cycled the car on/off.

In the video I can see that the right(US driver's)-side "compartment" of the coolant tank rises noticeably and the left side drops while the car is switched on. I take this to mean that there's coolant flowing, although I would have sworn that when I looked at this previously there was a definite "waterfall" through the little notch visible through the filler hole. Maybe I just need to add a bit of coolant to raise the level up enough to reach the notch...

Further confirmation was had by snaking my hand down in front of the inverter and touching the pump, which could clearly be felt to be "doing something".

#7 tadc, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like you're good.(y)

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should top the container, to fill line and bleed any air in the system, do the same for Engine coolant system. Good Job