1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the new 12v battery for Prius c come in sealed a box?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by babamy, May 16, 2017.

1. babamy

babamy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I went to buy a 12v battery for Prius c two, and at the dealership they first gave me a battery that was about 2 inches longer. Cost was $200. I returned it and they exchanged it for another battery that is in a sealed box with a label "not returnable when opened". I wonder is this is the right battery for my car? I have a Prius C, Two, not plug in, with a standard key (not Smart-key). The new battery is part number 28800-21181. On the exchange invoice, the cost was $320, but they did not ask me to pay the difference (probably because of their mistake the first time).
    I wonder if this battery is for a plug in model, and if it will work for my car. And I wonder if I should attempt to replace it myself or take it to the dealership. They will charge me extra $200 to install this new battery.

2. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm under the impression any regular battery is compatible, but whether or not the hold down bracket fits is another issue. If it's the dealership or whoever is installing it, fitment issues are on them.
    I get that it's extra work, but imo, get an optima battery and do it yourself. I had to make a bracket myself, but it was only ~$5 in parts and maybe an hour of time. You'd be saving money in the long run and get a better product in the process.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the euro battery maybe different. i have never heard anyone mention a 12v coming in a sealed box.
    i would ask them if it's wrong, can you return it after opening it. that would be the most idiotic thing i have ever heard, seeing that they already gave you the wrong battery once.
    make sure you check the date code and voltage. if it's low, put a trickle on it before installing.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you sure about that ?
    Anyone with experience should be able to do it in about 15 minutes.