1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the new lightweight tonneau cover work well?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Eric M., Feb 7, 2016.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For those of you who’ve bought a 2016 Two or Three with the new lightweight tonneau cover, how’s it working? Do its attachments and lightness work reasonably, given how its connections-system is notably different? (I’ve seen it, but don’t know how well it promises to work.) Does it do its job?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the one post i read from a user said she liked it better, because it lifts up and down with the hatch, so you don't even have to think about it. open, it's out of the way. closed, it has you covered.

3. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes - it "works". Personally, I liked the roll-out night shade version from my 2010 better. This one does "work" - it covers what is in the cargo area. It attaches from the hatch easily enough, but the forward attachments (simple enough though they are) are a bit less easy to manipulate.

And then, there s the whole "folding" aspect: it's supposed to fold up into a small carrying bag when not in use (i.e. if putting the seats down).

I, however, lack the dexterity and coordination to pull off the folding. (It has a "frame" that is of some sort of elastic wire). I guess I'll have to find an 8 year old to show me how to do it. ;-)

TonyWilkey and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i bought a drivers window shade like that. it came in a 6" circle and unwound into a big rectangle. i can't get the rabbit back in the hat, so i just slide it down between the drivers seat and console.:oops:

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If that is the same wire loop that frames some sun shades then I'll never be able to get it folded small enough to get back in the bag. As it is, the sun shade either lays on top of the cargo or on the back seat. I guess the big improvement was cost reduction.

6. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes - that's exactly the type "transformation" that I just cant do...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why is there ever a ned to remove it?

8. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    for the same reasons you might want to remove the other - to have a large, open cargo area - to carry very large items that wouldn't fit underneath it.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, thanks!

10. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I took it out of its sack and unfolded it after my test drive of the two a couple weeks ago. I honestly thought it was a sunshade but then saw the writing on the sack saying That it was indeed the tonneau cover...lol.

Honestly I don't see how it can do its job of preventing cargo in the hatch area of not flying up and hurting people in the event of an emergency breaking manuver or an accident near as well as the old style. Sure it will prevent people from seeing what your cargo is but it seemed so thin and flimsy I don't see how it would not rip off or how cargo wouldn't rip right through it if it came to that.

The old "rolling / lock in" style a la Gen 3's seemed more more robust and practical. And storing the old style was never an issue to me, simple pop off the bar and place behind the front seats...

But I guess they were scrounging to save a pound or two where ever they could.. Who knows.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure if you know, but the 3rd gen cover can also stow under the hatch floor: there's notches in the under-floor tray that fit it.

Tandem Rider likes this.
  12. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Wow! No I did not know this.

Thx.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had no idea the cover was designed to keep projectiles from injuring passengers. i sure wouldn't trust anything under my gen 3 cover.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    The Gen 3 nylon rolling cover is a LOT more sturdy than the paper thin looking new one.

Well of course your cover won't stop a load of bricks from killing you if you wreck but smaller / lighter more reasonable stuff sure it will.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    styrofoam?:p

16. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think that the retention system of the Gen 3 cover would restrain any weight - it's only meant to restrain itself against the spring force of the retraction mechanism.

17. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I've pilled stuff in my hatch over the headrests and stretched the tonneau cover up and over and secured it and it has held everything without issue in the past. Granted I never wrecked with it loaded like this but never had anything fly out and hit my passengers or me. It held just fine.

Edit: I'll further add that even when my old Gen3 liftbacks (we still own a v with the rolling cover) were not over loaded to the gills, we used to put our daughters pillows (pillow pet normally and a small blanket) on top of the cover behind the headrests for easy access and it held those no problem. Never caved in... Can't do that with the Gen4's..

#17 Blizzard_Persona, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How about a set of four mounted snow tires, with the back seat down? Yeah I know: hamburger. :ROFLMAO:

19. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Vancouver = snow tires are not needed...:sick::cool:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's funny though. everyone always talks about the importance of strapping down a spare above decks. but i've never heard cargo mentioned before.