1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the New Prius (LE) require an Old School Key?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmouse, Dec 17, 2022.

1. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah, once you start moving up trims, there's more electronics onboard that can go wrong. Something I don't really want to have to deal with. Plus the higher trims have lower fuel economy. Base LE has highest, which is why I bought the Two Eco instead of a higher trimmed Prius.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Same here, I bought the level 2 2012 Prius v for simplicity and ease of maintenance.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not a fan of the electronic nannies. the only thing we ever had was bsm on the hycam. it used to drive us crazy with false alarms and we shut it off

4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hmm...are we *sure* the LE doesn't have a physical key? All the photos I've seen are of the higher level trims.

The reason I'm wondering is because our base model Prius C has a physical key....while the higher end trims have push button start.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No, we are not. The current feature list says the XLE and Limited have 3 door SKS, but states nothing about what the LE has.

The 2022 Prius LE had one door SKS. My bet is on that remaining the case, but it is just a guess at this point.

farmecologist and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was just going to say, if I needed to bet money on it, it'd be on one-door SKS, but @Trollbait beat me to it.

This is similar to the previous panic, regarding premium gas requirement, methinks.

#26 Mendel Leisk, Dec 22, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    GuyLR and Trollbait like this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Production hasn't even been going on for a month yet, and the roll out will go to Japan first. Between potential parts shortages and ongoing market research, Toyota isn't stating all the details yet, so as to not have to say oops in case things change. When cars get to port here, Toyota USA will fill in those details.

8. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    If would be foolhardy to not have a physical key. What if the 12v battery dies?

Imagine locking your baby in the car thinking they are safe and the battery dies and you can't open the car to get them out.

Or you leave your car parked for a month because you went on vacation, come back home to find out the 12v battery drained and your brand new Prius is a paperweight.

You'd have to break a window.

There would be so many lawsuits.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think they mean nothing but a physical key. In other words, a physical key with no ability to lock/unlock with a transponder. And yeah, doubt that's the case.

Personally, I remember taking old-school car keys to the shoe repair place, and for $5 you could get a duplicate. But yeah, we progress.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There will be a key for the door. The comment was about having an ignition operated by a key. Some Toyotas still do.
    I noticed in the feature list that the LE does have an engine immobilized. Owners won't have to worry about kids taking their 2023 car for a joy ride as was the case with some Hyundais.

11. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Ok..ok...Yes, that is what I meant...*only* a physical key but no push button start whatsoever....Like our base model Prius C. (y)

I'll admit...I *do* find myself reaching for the missing push button start when I drive the C...but I really don't mind not having it.

The important thing is that we have the engine immobilizer in all models. Hyundai/Kia is really suffering a PR nightmare now due to the fact they didn't integrate an immobilizer in most of their older key-only models ( admittedly a very stupid move on their part ). Thefts of key-only Elantras and Sonatas have absolutely skyrocketed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Not only that but they charged owners for the fix.

It would be interesting if Toyota doesn't include smart key system in the LE at all and I would wonder if it was a casualty of supply chain problems and will return in 2024.

If they have push button start but not keyless entry that would be weird.

Or maybe the LE trim only exists on paper and it doesn't matter because they're only planning on building XLE and Limited

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    According to Toyota Canada, no LE up here. :(

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just read that manufacturers would be building mostly higher end packages in 2023 due to parts shortages