1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the PIP have the same 12 battery as the liftback

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by MrTransAm, Apr 7, 2012.

1. MrTransAm

MrTransAm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does any one know if the PIP has the same OEM battery as the regular prius with smart key system. The part number is S46B24R. I am considering immediately upgrading to a Optima yellow top. The OEM PIP battery appears to have discharge problems possibly from not running the ice enough to keep it fully charged. I do not have the car yet but I have been reading the related post. I also intend on immediately upgrading the non JBL stereo with a 900 watt amp and new speakers. Hopefully the upgraded battery will reduce the stress on the 12 volt electrical system.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the traction battery charged the 12v?

3. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A for the sound system on the base PIP it sounds better then the one on my old luxury car!

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the inverter does when the HSD is at the "Ready" state. The ICE does not have to be running to charge the 12V Accessory battery.

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know, what kind of battery is on your car? with this info you can then check the Prius Generation 1-2-3 archives. Patrick Wong has stated the exact total specs and ID info on the Prius 12 Volt batteries. :cheer2: PIP Battery may be listed in owners manual on PC.