1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Prius Handle Well?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tyrin, Jun 8, 2007.

?
  1. No upgrades.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have Touring edition.

50.0%
  3. Changed the tires.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Added suspension braces or plate

50.0%
  1. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Jun 8 2007, 10:57 PM) [snapback]458468[/snapback]</div>
    I've got a '99 Civic. Actually, the '99 and older Civics don't have McPherson struts, and that's why they handle better. My '99 Civic most likely handles better than the newer Civics, which do have McPherson struts up front.

My Prius does not handle as well as my Civic. My Prius handles okay. I haven't had any problems. If I ever think the Prius has handling problems, it will get a wheel alignment.

Harry

2. Stairman

Stairman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Jun 9 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]458800[/snapback]</div>
    The electric motors provide good torque regardless of speed - at least within the range of the Prius. As a result, while 0 to 60 acceleration is nothing to brag about, I think 60 to 90 acceleration is better than a lot of cars. Excellent for passing.

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car handles and drives like 90 % of all normal car, it isn't a european sports sedan with wide tires, which it seems many people on here are used to driving.

4. huntergirlnc

huntergirlnc New Member

I've had no problems with the handling of my Prius, save for the first night I drove it in a horrible rainstorm - and that was only due to the crap Integrities that had been worn to the nub in the front (no probs now, I just got my Hydroedges 3 days ago). Also, I'd only had the car a couple of days, and I was still trying to get a feel for it. I've had no alignment done and no BT brace. My Prius drives much better than my 2000 Camry ever did. And that car handled quite well also - my dad said that car handled better than any he had ever driven in 50+ years of road experience with every kind of car under the sun.

5. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huntergirlnc @ Jun 15 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]462416[/snapback]</div>
    If your Dad liked the Camry, then what does your Dad think of the Prius ?? Did you let HIM drive it yet ??

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It handles okay for a midsized car with a relatively simple suspension and 185-15 sized tires.

Let's put it this way; I'd rather drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slowly.

I did add the TRD suspension pieces and the BT brace, however. Tires are stock but will be replaced with something better when they're worn.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 9 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]458808[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps you said it...it's more about the steering? It is electrically, not hydraulically boosted (and so is dead as a doornail as far as transmitting any information to the driver)...it's also variable ratio; I'm beginning to wonder if the ratio doesn't change (as speed increases or decreases) a bit more than what she's used to...?

The car is a bit under-tired and does seem to have significant windage with those slab sides; perhaps this, compounded with its less than communicative steering, yields that 'unstable at freeway speeds' feeling that some of us have experienced...?

Just a thought.

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 15 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]462406[/snapback]</div>
    +1

People need to temper their expectations and consider what they are comparing the Prius against in terms of handling. Too many people are comparing apples to oranges and then wondering why they are disappointed. FWIW, my Prius handles quite well compared to most passenger cars, but handles poorly when compared to the Audi I traded in.

9. iaowings

iaowings New Member

I have an 06 Prius with 12k miles on it. I have not had any handling problems at all. then again I don’t expect it to handle like a sports car. I can go around corners and freeway off ramps at higher than recommended speeds without problems. When it rains I slow down and do not expect the car to have good grip on wet surfaces. Common since driving and the car handles fine.

And if you drive the Prius like I used to drive my Mini Cooper S with all the performance mods you will quickly find yourself no longer on the road. I used to take the 25mph off ramps at over 50mph in the Mini with out even chirping the tires. I would not recommend that even in some other sports cars let alone an economy car.

10. bmwquickspeed

bmwquickspeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I traded my BMW in for my Prius. I think that the handling of the Prius is excellent as long as you don't expect it to drive like a BMW. I think anybody that is having issues with the Prius handling is expecting too much from the car.

I have driven from Arizona to California 4 times now and I do feel the wind but it is hardly an issue to complain about.

11. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 15 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]462538[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly, it handles every bit as well as a Taurus my wife once owned, but yeah it isnt even in the ballpark compared to the 87 Saab 9000 I used to own as a teen, in that car you would have sworn you were driving on rails with the way it hugged the road in corners. And compared to the wifes turbo beetle it loses, but I personally think I could street race that car stock and dust most of these kids with the way it handles plus with as fast as it is, no wonder she loves it.

12. huntergirlnc

huntergirlnc New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 15 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]462514[/snapback]</div>
    No - I'm pretty selfish when it comes to the Prius - I haven't let him drive it yet :D