1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Prius still make sense when midsize-car Hybrids are getting almost 50mpg?(Accord Hybrid)

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by mareakin, Aug 30, 2013.

1. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cycle, do consider trying the high-end Ford Fusion Energi "Titanium" variant. We were two surprised converts, my son and I.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that's a small trunk. Looked at Fusion / hybrid trunk, don't like the side trunk panels that limit trunk width. I didn't find Fusion offer as good view from inside due to thick B pillars and plastic trim around windows, also reduced rear seat legroom all well documented from reviewers. Also don't like the idea of 2.5/1.6L turbo/2.0 L turbo. perfect one engine, I think. But worth it to test drive Fusion / hybrid, but Energi, nah.

3. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The exhaust on most new cars is the equivalent of a large person with bad gas. Great pains have been made to produce practically zero emissions. My guess is that if the air coming out were cleaner than the inflow, there would still be paranoia.

Personally, I'd feel better if we didn't have any more urgency in building more and more electric power plants than we had to.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    BMW hybrid will be out soon, different looking for sure.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's no different than the I4 and V6 options in the Camry, Accord, and others. The 2.5L is an older design put in to keep the base price as low as possible. Most of them are going to fleets and rental agencies. The 1.6L is the more fuel efficient option using turbo and direct injection. It also has the auto start/stop option. The 2.0L is the replacement for the V6. Higher output while getting the same combined mpg as the 2.5L.
    Compare Side-by-Side

The 2014 numbers for the Fusion are also out. No big changes except that the 1.6 is replaced by the new 1.5 ecoboost in the automatic model. I knew the engine was coming out overseas, like China, where there are taxes based on displacement. Didn't expect it here so soon.

9. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Toyota's done an amazing job of making the V6 so efficient, yet powerful, in both the Camry and Avalon. Compared to some of the Fusion 4's, it looks pretty darn good.

Aside from that, I'd give Kudos to Honda for making a really fine 4 cylinder work very well all around. Toyota's 4 is great as well. I'm not impressed at all by Ford's gasoline-only Fusion mileage in the real-world, and neither is anyone else.

10. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

11. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you are looking to get out of the prius. I think you should drive the camry hybrid. We got my wife a 2012 camry xle. after 18 months I think it is great. if you want a car that has performance and more comfort than a prius, at least try camry XLE. We have lifetime 41 mpg, with a lot of freeway driving. The car has 0-60 in 7.4 sec if I remember the spec. I think it has 200 combined hp. but it's ability to accelerate in a passing situation feels like it has more than that. We like the car so much I got a prius c for me. I drive mostly in town and so far I like it.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all good, but the steering wheel is off center from the drivers seat. that's a cycle killer.:cool:

cwerdna likes this.
  13. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Toyota has other hybrids, the Avalon, Camry that you should consider. We own a camry hybrid 2012 with backup camera, nav, and lots of other options. this car has great performance and is very comfortable. it has given us lifetime mpg of 41 and others say they get better than us. it also has plenty of get up and go.:LOL: it is nice to drive and feels much larger than prius.

14. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I saw that and I was suprised. I never noticed it before that. I guess I drive with one hand and sit back and enjoy the ride.:D

cwerdna likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm with you, my wife is on her second hycam. used to get low 40's in the gen I, got 48.7 on her first tank with the new one. i can't wait to take it to florida this winter!(y)

16. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will truly be an exciting time to read the various comparisons this year.
    Fusion Hybrid
    Camry Hybrid
    Altima Hybrid
    Accord Hybrid

The reviewers are already licking their chops, hoping the next big review piece will sell lots of ads and copies.

It will either be a major victory for Honda, or a huge embarrassment, I don't know which. But in spite of the CMAX debacle, they continue to use the Fusion Hybrid's 47 combined number. I wonder what it will come in at this time around?

From a practical sense, I can see the Prius sales being eaten away. We have a 2007 Camry Hybrid, and have driven a couple of new ones as well. They are more fun, more comfortable, and have generous passenger room in them. A large part of the market still does not like hatchbacks.

It will take awhile to weed out the information in reviews, and get real-world mileage figures. It will be longer yet before reliability comes into play. But look at how Ford's done with their brand new hybrid models. Constant recalls, questionable mileage, and they're selling like crazy.

I hope Toyota is working carefully on the new Camry Hybrid. It should look sleek and refined, and have better cargo space in the trunk. It becomes more and more obvious every year that Toyota is going to have to be a little less conservative in styling if they are to keep their designs for such long periods. It will be a fun race to watch.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That implies no market growth. With the endorsement Honda brings to the table, it makes sense that some will change their perception of hybrids and take a fresh look at offerings. Prius becomes more and more common each year.

Since they don't like sedans either, Prius can be appealing. After all, the change from SUV is easier with a hatchback (or wagon) than it is with a trunk.

hybridbear likes this.
  18. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Certainly true about market growth John, the Prius liftback is a nice market size. I think the Prius V is the best alternative for those that were looking at smaller SUV's, or even something like a Subaru wagon. Up here, AWD is more important factor when buying an SUV. I know how to drive in the winter, so I went for economy and room ;)

I haven't seen the specs on the Accord Hybrid, so I don't know what the trunk is like. The smaller trunk size on the hybrid sedans is a factor, the Priuses win out on that factor

jhinsc likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be interesting to see if Prius keeps humming re: sales.

Compared to 2006 when we bought a Prius, there is an enormous number models to chose from - avalanches of diesels, plug-ins, hybrids and EV's as well as better MPG ICE.

It is a testament to the Prius, that I still do not see a Prius killer out there...and I am not talking about MPG...I am talking about practical car design, sort of a mini_SUV. Yes I don't like sedans only because I want to be able to carry kids and stuff. Bought a turtle sandbox at Walmart the other day...open the door, shove it in, and that's it.

We are close to retirement so our miles/yr is declining towards 12000/yr. So new Prius may not make financial sense in VA with high car taxes, but meanwhile I am driving a used 2006.

20. Chad P.

Chad P. New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you go 0-60 in 7 seconds - you won't get 50 MPG's, and you don't understand why we love our Prius's!

iPhone ? - now Free