1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the Prius V sunroof open to the air?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by plunk10, Sep 15, 2016.

1. plunk10

plunk10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi forum. I'm interested in a top model Prius V. On YouTube I see videos of the sunshade opening on the Prius V, but it doesn't appear that the actual glass (or resin?) actually opens up for airflow. Looking for clarification as I have yet to inspect a Prius V five, in person. Thanks

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No it does not open. It's a fixed resin moonroof with power (and automatic) sliding sunshades.

plunk10 likes this.
  3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Then what is the benefit. (beyond marketing appeal) What are they useful for?

On an ECO oriented car, doesn't it add more weight? And reduced headroom? Wind noise? Water intrusion potential? Complexity with the power operated aspect?

I don't get it on a family oriented car.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't open, how would it make wind noise? And it has zero impact on headroom or anything else. Difference in weight might be a pound or two. They are windows with a fancy name. Does anyone really need to explain windows?

5. walldiver4

walldiver4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As the owner of a similar v, who is also distressed by the design of this particular feature, I offer my own experience. I would also like a window that would open, but understand the roof's aerodynamic design and it's contribution to gas mileage is the primary factor here. My major complaint is that in my climate and altitude, the moonroof is, essentially, useless during any season when the vehicle is exposed to direct sunlight. The fact that the roof does not open is of little functional concern. My problem is heat and UV radiation which makes the interior almost unbearable when exposed to direct sunlight at altitudes above 6,000 ft. This exposure could certainly be mitigated if it was possible to install a suitable heat/UV reflective window tint on the moonroof. Sadly, because it is plastic and will always emit gas when heated, this is impossible because the tint material would quickly bubble and separate. My solution: Keep the shades closed virtually any time when I would be most likely to enjoy having the window exposed.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're useful for adding light into the interior (something that kids tend to enjoy. They love to see the stars too).

It's lighter than a steel roof so it saves weight and lowers the centre of gravity. Headroom isn't reduced as much as a regular moonroof because it's resin (so it's thinner than glass) and because it doesn't open, it doesn't require that additional space for the glass to slide away.

I don't find cars with moonroofs any noisier than a steel-roof car when the moonroof is closed.

Water intrusion? Maybe but there are drains and again, no different from a regular moonroof

Complexity? It doesn't open. How complex can it get? (and it's just the sunshade that moves).

On a family oriented car? It's a great kid feature.