1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the UK warranty & Toyota breakdown cover apply in Europe?

Discussion in 'International Owners' started by GrumpyCabbie, Apr 21, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Am thinking of heading to France this June for a week or two and am taking the Prius, oh and the girlfriend :D

I don't expect any problems with the car - it is a Toyota after all, but does the warranty extend to Europe should I require it? And does the free Toyota breakdown cover extend to Europe also?

I only ask as the last time I drove to France I broke down in Bordeaux and was stuck for 2 weeks awaiting parts. I guess there are worse places to be stuck :rolleyes:

2. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi GC,
    Holiday with the GF....Ah the memories!!it's the Wife and 2 "are we there yet"

Yes and Yes is my answer...but,

A few years back while still under warranty,i had to call Toyota EuropAssist,as it turned out nothing major,but the guy that arrived with the truck told me that if the car had to be towed it would have to be brought to the nearest Toyota Dealer or no further than a 15 mile radius from where i was..I don't live in Dublin anymore [I live 30 miles from city centre]so i have AA cover in place, so in the event that i need to get the car lifted..and more importantly get home,
    I asked why i couldn't get the car lifted and get home and was told it was because it was a Taxi...but if it wasn't a Taxi,they would!!
    I raised this with my Toyota Dealer at the time and he was unaware that there was an issue...but i discovered when browsing through the Owners manual of a Toyota Avensis [EuropAssist Manual] that it does make a reference to it being a Taxi and doesn't have the same benefits as a Privately owned car BUT NOWHERE in the Prius manual does it make that reference.

But,check before you leave!!

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm, I think I'll double check and get it in writing. Don't want to be stuck in France at the side of a rainy road late at night trying to convince some French recovery truck driver that it isn't a taxi. Especially considering the weird licence plates on the rear.

4. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I didn't understand the reasoning myself! If the car is under warranty,Taxi or not,it should still have the same benefits,chances are that the warranty period will be shorter if it's a Taxi/Cab,i'm sure they're breaking some law with regard to warranty period but it could cost you an arm and a leg to get anywhere with them!!

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I could half understand them being funny if I was using it for commercial use at the time of the break down, but if it's quite clearly personal use then I can't see a problem.

I might put the meter on just to see what it costs?!?:rolleyes:

6. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not asking to Toyota UK. If you have a trouble in France don't forget to specify that your car is a PRIUS : the servicing service needs this information.
    But I sure your hols 'll be very fine and WITHOUT problems.