1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does the world need another social media speaker interface?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pilotgrrl, Mar 28, 2018.

1. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    RCO likes this.
  2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't touch any of them. I'm not comfortable with my TV having voice recognition, but I don't know how to disable the mic.

It amazes me that all the Facebook users are so surprised about their data being used in this way. None of them seem to have listened to the maxim "If it's free, then you are the product".

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Google has a pretty good database too. Don't forget to:
    • tape over the cell phone and laptop, self-pointing camera
    • foam tape over the microphones
    • clear the cookies at the end of sessions
    • turn off cell phone except when making a call from where you are OK to let known
    Bob Wilson

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I thought I was incognito! :confused:

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It amazes me that people PAY to have listening devices in their homes. This is so much better than Orwell ever thought! We as consumers line up with money in our fists to grab the next gadget that will spy on us. Even though I own and use a smartphone, I still consider those always listening devices creepy as hell. I know my phone can do the same, but at least I have a feeling of control over it. I do not have it in always listening mode ever. I have the camera on my laptop taped up, but not on the phone, because I use that one, actually. As for turning cell phones off, that is not the answer unless you take the battery out and many do not have accessible batteries any more. Now you have to seal your phone in aluminum foil to make it go dark from the net. Smart TVs scare me also. What's next? Smart homes basically have eyes and ears everywhere in you home! Call me old, but that's creepy!

Facebook voice interface?! OMG, FB is one of the worst places for privacy. When will people learn that?

pilotgrrl likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not much of a privacy activist, and there's no black tape on any of my devices because I do not suppose that I'm interesting enough to be spied upon.
    However (comma!) I am pretty careful about the devices that I put into my household that are equipped with cameras and microphones, and I haven't reached the stage of sloth where I want some electronic gizzywhopper eagerly awaiting for me to awaken it so that I can have lights dimmed, or find out when the Dodgers are on next.
    I can pull the phone out of my pocket and do both....and it turns out that the boyz in blue play the hated Giants tonight at 6.
    ...and my lights are off at present.

So....
    There's growing movement in open source IOT for people who don't want to tie themselves to one of the bigs.
    6 open source home automation tools | Opensource.com

I've been tinkering with OpenHAB lately and there are others, but in the end there are many alternative paths to asking the googles or Lady A to take up residence on your counter top and wait there patiently until you awaken it with a request.

Or?
    You can just accept the fact that they already know everything that there is worth knowing and take....and BE the 'free product.'

@TV microphone.
    That's easy. Disconnect it from the internet.
    "Smart TVs" sometimes really are!
    I have one myself.....I just do not have it connected to the internet.
    If you get your tele shows OVER the internet, then it may be possible to override the microphone by connecting a muted microphone (or just an open connector) into the AUDIO IN jack in the rear of the set - or - find and disconnect the microphone inside the television.
    The latter can involve no small amount or surgery!
    A third possibility would be to locate the hull penetration for the microphone on your TV.
    It's normally a small hole about the size of period (.) located in front of the TV, often near the IR window. Sometimes it's an opening in the grooves in front of your TV.
    The Googles will usually tell you where the microphone opening is.
    Once you've located the onboard mic a dab of glue or some tape will give the TV 'sudden onset deafness,'
    If you do not want to block the hole, you can go old school counter-surveillance and have a small fan blowing on the hole when you do not want the googles to know what you're yelling at which politician when the Sunday morning propaganda shows are on.
    You can switch the fan off (or have Alexa do it for you) when you want to ask your TV when the Simpsons come on.

Anyone who has ever used a cell phone on a windy day knows how this works!
    It may also serve to cool the TV somewhat. ;)

I have a facebook account, or so I'm reliably informed.
    I haven't actually logged INTO facebook in well over a year.
    My theory at the time was that not having a fb account would make me more statistically interesting than having one.

Analyze that.... ;)

#6 ETC(SS), Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    pilotgrrl, RCO and VFerdman like this.