1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this estimate for dent/paint repair sound right?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 17mars, Mar 12, 2010.

1. 17mars

17mars New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was hit by a flying shopping cart while driving today and the passenger door of my lovely 2008 Silver Pine Mica Prius got its first dent. I immediately took it to a recommended body shop with a BBB A+ rating.

The dent is about 1.5 inches and looks like it could be popped out. The problem is that the bottom of the dent has a split deep into the paint and the paint is loose around the split.

According to the body repair shop, the ding would have been just $150-250 to pop out had the paint not been cracked so badly. But now the whole door has to be painted to repair the paint and match the rest of the car. The job will now cost just over $500.

I asked if they could not pop out the dent and do a little spot touch up but they said that type of paint repair would show badly and their shop would not do it as such a repair would not last and they couldn't warranty it.

Does this sound straight? My car before the Prius was an ancient jeep where I never repaired dents. This sounds so extensive to me yet I want to keep my Prius as long as I kept my old car and keep it looking nice too.

Advice to this perplexed lady would be appreciated. I've been cheated by auto repair places before and hope not to be again.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds right to me. Body repair prices are crazy. My friend runs a body shop and quoted me $300 to repaint my hood and cost me $500 to remove a ding and repaint my rear quarter panel when some lady backed into me and that's the"buddy" price LOL.

3. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds pretty reasonable, actually. If they get a good paint match, it should be well worth the money. Modern paint cannot be patched in like older non-clear-coat paint.

4. 17mars

17mars New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your feedback! It's good to get an idea of a fair estimate.

5. 17mars

17mars New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a follow up- I got a second estimate just to be on the safe side and it was $600 with the same response about paint repair. They wouldn't do the work without total door paint repair because spot fixes don't hold and can't be guaranteed. With the advice here and on the basis of the two estimates, one from the insurance company recommended shop and the other from the dealer's recommended shop and both with stellar BBB ratings, I feel a little more confident about spending such a huge chunk of change on a 1.5 inch dent/paint peel.

6. justin time

justin time Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would tend to avoid shops recommended by the insurance company. One hand washes the other, if you know what I mean.

7. Priusfromevil

Priusfromevil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I agree, there are benefits to consumers as well.

GEICO offers a warranty on bodywork for the life of the car (under your ownership). They only offer it if you take the car to one of their Express locations. They also arrange for a rental at that same location so the process is painless.

Not a mark for GEICO but appreciate the well thought out process for dealing with accident repair.

8. 17mars

17mars New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first shop, that had a lower estimate, was a Geico recommended shop actually. In fact someone there was getting a lift from the "Geico" car when I took my car in.
    The repair is undetectable and the paint match is flawless and they came in a few dollars under estimate. And the shop guarantees it.
    Overall I'm pretty pleased. Thanks again everyone for the advice!

9. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But, GEICO won't give you anything in writing like Nationwide will.

10. 17mars

17mars New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course that wouldn't matter at all in my case. My deductible is so high there's no point in involving any insurance company.

11. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually Geico does give you a written warranty. I have it in my folder of a recent fender bender incident caused by the other driver. Geico is suing to recover their cost as well as my deductible.

12. dentmax

dentmax New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've owned and operated a paintless dent repair company and body shop for 15 years. If you were to stop at my shop I would first give you the option of removing the dent and then touching up. That would cost the same as you were told, 150-250. Otherwise, the numbers you were given are correct. As to the cost of conventional repair, paint is often referred to as "liquid gold."

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly....