1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this happen with a lot of wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wraiththe, Nov 15, 2021.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try replacing an Alloy wheel - damaged one of these decades ago - can't remember the exact price, but would be today's equivalent of $1000 a rim (genuine). Fortunately, I was able to get it straightened. They were nice rims - except a pain to clean!!!
    upload_2021-11-18_10-15-45.png

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. dmh1026

dmh1026 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Mine’s doing the same thing and hasn’t been near salt water. Poor paint on the plastic parts!

3. Ranko Kohime

Ranko Kohime Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I have the same problem, but on the upgrade wheels (the ones with 10 double spokes in dark chrome), the chrome is coming off nearly the entire rim at all 4 points, much like the "paint" on those. I drive mostly in Ohio, where some salt is used on the roads, less frequently lately as we haven't gotten much snow the last few years.

It's not a safety concern, merely cosmetic.

4. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure this is your wheels: Chrome plated aluminum is a bad choice. If anything gets between the metals it causes a catalytic reaction that cannot be stopped and the chrome will continue to peel off. It can be slowed down... but it will still eventually continue. This is not a safety concern.. but it can get into the areas where the tire bead seals against the wheel... which will cause your tired to deflate often. I had a chrysler like that and thought someone was letting the air out of my tires now and then. Those wheels were $480 to over $600 a piece 8 years ago... $150 used.

5. dmh1026

dmh1026 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Same thing happened to my 2017 wheels. The silver plastic parts are cheap junk. I can order black replacement pieces. The wheel has to come off the car to replace them.