1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does this hood look misaligned?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by schja01, Jun 29, 2018.

1. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My Prius Prime Advanced arrived at the dealer. I was (past tense) scheduled to take delivery tomorrow until I got a call from the dealer telling me they discovered there was some misalignment with the hood which may take some time to resolve.
    Earlier today I went to the dealer's lot and found the car (before I got the phone call) and took some photos. I only got one from the front unfortunately.
    I wonder if some of you who own a Prime can tell if the hood does look misaligned in some way from the photo I will attach to this message.
    Any insight appreciated.
    Needless to say I am a tad disappointed as to how a misaligned hood could occur.
    Thanks in advance,
    J

Attached Files:

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Too hard to tell with just this picture and the wrap on the hood. But, it has to be quite obvious for a dealer to called off a sale. I hope you get this resolved soon. Good luck.

Edit: I looked at the photo on a large screen. It's still very hard to tell, but maybe the left front corner of the hood (right side looking at the picture) looks to me having some gap??? Or is it just the shade on the picture playing an eye trick? Don't know.

#2 Salamander_King, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    schja01 likes this.
  3. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you saw no signs of impact damage, give the dealer some time to get the hinges & latch aligned. When you are called to pick it up, take a very close look at how the hood operates. All aspects should be normal...the release inside the cabin, the second release under the lip of the hood, lift it up & prop it on the strut, lower it, snap it fully shut. You can look at other Prius's on the lot and see what size gap is normal. Nothing stands out with the Prime hood...nothing unusually smooth, and nothing unusually awkward, just a normal hood.

schja01 likes this.
  4. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    very hard to tell with the wrap, but I agree with Salamander_King that it appears that there is more shadow in the wrong places on the drivers side hood.

I would definitely give them the benefit of the doubt. it does them no good to hold on to the car and not pocket your money.

schja01 likes this.
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From seeing that picture, it appears the driver side of the hood, isn't properly closed. There might be a hinge or so problems there.

Be patient with them

pilotgrrl and schja01 like this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Agree. Enlarge that photo and it appears the driver's side of the hood is sticking up about an inch? Not sure, but if it was me, I'd be very hesitant to take that one. I would just order another Prime. I wouldn't even let the dealer work on it.

I would never accept a brand new vehicle from a dealer who tells me "something is misaligned." That's crazy. It was either damaged in some way while in transit, or the Toyota quality is really going downhill! Can you get a Prime from another dealer?

Is the Prime Prius in short supply in the Midwest? Can you buy out-of-state? Why are some California dealers overflowing with Primes?

#6 Starship16, Jun 29, 2018
  7. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Update:
    I went back to the dealership and spoke to my guy's manager.
    I also took some better photos.
    This problem was discovered during PDI and as explained to me
    (and I admit I don't completely understand) the plate/pan/whatever
    under the engine was pushed up "ever so slightly" and due to the
    almost zero clearance between the engine cover and the hood caused
    the issue. Until those lower member parts are replaced the hood won't
    close.
    I'm told when the situation is corrected it will be identical to new.
    My concern is what else was damaged in the "lifting" process?
    The good news is that parts are available but with the 4th of July holiday
    we might be talking a 10 day delay.
    My gut feeling is to decline this one and just have another ordered but if
    what I describe sounds like something trivial to repair I might keep it.
    All input appreciated.
    J
    IMG_5392.jpg IMG_5393.jpg

pilotgrrl, dubit and Starship16 like this.
  8. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Prime is in VERY short supply here in the Midwest. Toyota has been promoting the Prime on both coasts for several years and only now making them available in the central US.

pilotgrrl and Starship16 like this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that's really a big gap. To lift the hood this much, something underneath had to be moved up quite bit. Nop, I would decline this one as a new car, if I am in your shoes. Unless, they are going to give you substantial discounts on this. Of course, if you try to bargain too much, they will likely to back off, and fix the car and sell it to someone as a brand new car at normal price.

10. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do incidents like this generate a Carfax record? If yes I would be concerned about "decreased value" come resale time
    even if the car performed flawlessly.

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt there is way to track vehicle repair before the sale. I am not sure how Carfax records works, but I don't think they will get the record unless the dealer decide to report it, and it would be dealer's benefit not to report such repair. So my guess would be no.

schja01 and Starship16 like this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The engine was "pushed up?" And it needs new parts?!

RUN!

I agree with Salamander. I could not / would not accept that Prius.. I know it's hard to be patient when the "new car bug" hits, but that's just unacceptable (to me.) It's a lot of money, I don't want damaged goods right from the get-go. Is there any way you can purchase your new Prime in another state? I'm not sure how that works, but some have done it.

#12 Starship16, Jun 29, 2018
  13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    And why is Toyota neglecting the Midwest? Are other Toyota models in short supply too? Consider flying out to California. There's a huge dealer here that currently has 94(!) Primes in stock. Pick up your new car, then spend a day having fun at Disneyland, and then enjoy a nice leisurely drive back to Chicago. :D

Here are 6 pages of new Primes. If nothing else, you can compare prices with Chicago.

Toyota Hybrid Cars in El Monte | Longo Toyota Dealer serving Los Angeles

#13 Starship16, Jun 29, 2018
  14. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So they are saying the engine was dislocated upward and the hood took the brunt of it. Who knows what all was done and the effects over time. And, no the clearance under there is not "that" tight.

No way would I accept that car. Yes, I had to order and wait for mine as well so I know what that means.

15. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, it's totalled.:(

pilotgrrl likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd pass.

UltraJetRefill likes this.
  17. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buffalo and Rochester are only about nine driving hours from Chicago compared to 30 hours for So Cal.
    Same Toyota discount on 2018 models - $1,500
    New York has $5,000 discount on 2017 models, California only $2,000.
    Disneyland 1-day Park Hopper ticket = $167 weekday, $185 weekend. Parking = $20.
    Niagara Falls = free (unless you go on the Maid of the Mist boat ride but that's only $11)

pilotgrrl, schja01 and Starship16 like this.
  18. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’m with @Salamander_King, @Mark57, @milkman44, and @bisco: reject this car as damaged. If you’re paying the new car price, you should get a new car, intact from the factory, not one that needed repair.

Even with a discount to the used car price, I’d want to see that an independent body shop has checked the standard clearance measurements for the hood, doors, and hatch, and as many of the two-dimensional and three-dimensional distances for the engine compartment, suspension crossmembers, and under body as can be measured without major disassembly. This information is all in the Collision Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com.

pilotgrrl, Mark57 and schja01 like this.
  19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are patient enough to wait, and can afford to wait, this is exactly what I would do.
    You are buying a brand new vehicle, you shouldn't have to worry about misaligned hoods or some level of damage done in transport. It certainly would concern me, as to how it happened, and what other damage may of also happened, just not as visible.

No, I think I'd pass, as frustrating as having to continue the wait or search might be.

schja01 likes this.
  20. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does the dealer have the option to refuse delivery of a damaged vehicle? Or are they just stuck with it. Hard to believe they were going to attempt repairs and then sell it as "new"? (On second thought, it is not hard to believe.) And if that particular Prius had not been reserved, would they have been honest and told a prospective customer that the car had been damaged in transit, and repaired?

I was speaking in jest. I would not seriously expect someone to fly here, and then drive a new vehicle all the way back to Chicago. I couldn't do that long drive, even if I was a young man. :LOL: And the car might get all kinds of rock dings, chips in the paint, etc.. (And Disneyland is overrated. And way overpriced.)

#20 Starship16, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Since2002 and schja01 like this.